Bank Line, what is and where do I get it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Hello one and all!
Like many others here I have been reading Bushcraft 101 by Dave Canterbury and find it stands up pretty well against Mears and Kochanski. However I am puzzled by his near constant reference to bank line. I get the impression that it's some form of fishing line but I'm not sure, perhaps it's known by some other name on this side of the Atlantic?
I have found a few references to it on YouTube (I think ) and it looks like a narrower alternative to paracord.
Any help in shedding light on this would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We see that here as #18 tarred nylon seine line. Most use in ocean commercial fish netting. Because it is ever so slightly elastic,
I use a lot of it for whipping blades into Pacific Northwest native style wood carving tools. Uncoated, in white/yellow/pink, it's sold
in hardware stores as "surveyor's cord."

PACNWtools_zpsc3459e06.jpg

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Timely, I've just written a post about some of the alternatives to paracord (didn't have any bank line to test). You can find it [thread=132236]here[/thread].

J

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you're on or near the coast, try a ship's chandler, usually on the waterfront.

Wearing leather gloves and pulling hard to get the blades to "sit down," I surprised at how little of the black tar-stuff
comes off on my gloves.

Quixotigeek: thanks for the line reviews. I can only dream with the general crud in local stores.
Everybody here is still in love with 3-strand polypropylene instant unravelling cord.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE