Ball peen hammer to Tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cletus

Sep 9, 2010
leeds
knifes 048.jpgFinshed this off this weekend, from an old ball peen hammer laying around the workshop.
Is the spike too much??? let me know what you think!

Many thanks
Paul.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
very nice work cletus, the spike looks a bit savage but would be good for digging with....:)

i want to make a laminated version at some point, the grinder died this weekend though....:(

chris.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I really like that. The spike could make it a good thrower!? It does look nice with the spike.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now picking up un what lannyman said - a flat digging blade instead of the spike would be useful - like a small mattock

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is the sort of thing I had in mind - with a more "axe" shaped chopping blade and maybe more of a "canterbury hoe" digging blade

corona_pm_42000.jpg

I have long thought a small version of my big one would be really handy. I reckon a 1lb lunp hammer head would work.

Do you think such a tool is doable? I'd commision one if so!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Lovely piece there Cletus. I reckon it looks quite medieval, but that's not to say that it's not an everyday user! I especially like the drop point at the blade edge, it adds a touch of flair to the piece.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly be interested to see one :)

An axe head like your hawk and a a pointed canterbury hoe like this one would be ideal I think

ct-hoes.jpg

Don't spend a fortune on it - just always struck me that a "mini mattock" with a combined axe and digging tool would be ideal for Bushcraft

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Certainly be interested to see one :)

An axe head like your hawk and a a pointed canterbury hoe like this one would be ideal I think

Don't spend a fortune on it - just always struck me that a "mini mattock" with a combined axe and digging tool would be ideal for Bushcraft

Of course a sharpened mattock is a bit like an adze... would be doubly useful then.

cletus

Sep 9, 2010
leeds
[ipad 082.jpgipad 087.jpg
Hi, a few people ask if i could put a hoe type thing on the back of a tomahawk, had a day off last week and come up with this....
Have done a bit of digging with it made a little trench.
What do you think???

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Damn cletus....thats ........it! Superb.....

Really...the ultimate bushy tool!

First dibs if you ever want to sell?

Great job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE