Bahco laplander folding saw & gurkha kukri

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Ive only this week purchased a Bahco Laplander folding saw and I wont be able to try it out untill Saturday.

I usually carry a normal wood saw like the ones builders and joiners use but its just to bulky and awkward to use/transport in the bush, so I think this is a good investment. I only carry a saw because I like to do as little damage to living trees as possible and coming across a neat cut its better and more professional than coming across some idiot armatures (neds) attempt to take a branch off or chop wood with loads of hack marks ect. arrgggg so annoying.:nono:

anyways...:rolleyes:
So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one? Is there anything I should avoid cutting with it? Are there any weaknesses or design flaws that I should be aware of?

I have also recently got my hands on a Gurkha Kukri. First impressions are great! However i dont think that it should be classed as a knife nor a machete because holding it you just know that its in a whole league of its own. With its weight forward design I just know that it will be a good chopper/splitter. This too will be getting put through its paces at the week end.

It shall be fun.

Stay Frosty
Iain.

I bought a Kukuri from Khukuri House last year and whenever I go out into the woods it's always with me, perfect balance between a knife and an axe.

I helped a mate clearing some saplings and undergrowth a couple of weeks ago and, with a decent swing I could take 2" saplings in one cut(he had a Gerber Machete and was taking lots of cuts to do the same size job)

The only problem I've had is keeping the blade rust free, but I've blackened the blade and keep it oiled after each use and that seems to work.

I've got a Bahco Laplander too but I tend to take a small Silky instead if I want to take any wood for projects

Now I'm just wondering if I could get away with getting another Khukuri, or would the other half drag me over hot coals for getting another sharp thing into the house!

Cutchy

Jan 18, 2011
Ayr
Great saw! Got one from amazon for £13, very sharp and comfy to use. Used about 3 times now and can cut up logs 4-5" no problem

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
The Bahco Laplander is a fantastic saw and you will notice a huge difference between that and the saw you have been using! Cuts through anything with ease whether fresh or dry wood and does it lightning fast too!

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Very jealous of the Kukri mate, I would love to get one myself one day. Should be a beastly chopper because of the weight distribution giving you that extra THWACK!

I have a Bahco Laplander myself and used it while I was working as a gardener for a few months and it out cuts every other folding saw I've ever used. It wont let you down.

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
I bought a Kukuri from Khukuri House last year and whenever I go out into the woods it's always with me, perfect balance between a knife and an axe.

I helped a mate clearing some saplings and undergrowth a couple of weeks ago and, with a decent swing I could take 2" saplings in one cut(he had a Gerber Machete and was taking lots of cuts to do the same size job)

The only problem I've had is keeping the blade rust free, but I've blackened the blade and keep it oiled after each use and that seems to work.

I've got a Bahco Laplander too but I tend to take a small Silky instead if I want to take any wood for projects

Now I'm just wondering if I could get away with getting another Khukuri, or would the other half drag me over hot coals for getting another sharp thing into the house!

Thats brilliant! And about the rust problem have you ever heard of Dura coat? (http://www.duracoat-finishes.com/)
Ive heard good things, its designed for firearms but Im sure itl go on a blade just as easy. I use gun oil like the army use for field cleaning there SA80s on my knifes/machetes, its prolly available from any decent army surplus store, but leave it to dry dont wipe off (a little birdy told me that Ray Mears uses this for his axes?)

and thanks everyone for your comments i cant wait to try the Laplander out :D

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Very jealous of the Kukri mate, I would love to get one myself one day. Should be a beastly chopper because of the weight distribution giving you that extra THWACK!

I have a Bahco Laplander myself and used it while I was working as a gardener for a few months and it out cuts every other folding saw I've ever used. It wont let you down.

Hey mate, when I was surfing around there wer a few websites that have Kukri's for under £20 but I dont know about quality... my mate has a cold steel one for like £20 but its wafer then, does the job though... but I dont think anything beats the real thing.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Just remember that the Laplanders are quiet soft steel (for cold weather use, I guess) and it is easy to bend them. You cut on the pull and push with these and I have found they do bend easily on the push stroke. Not a big deal to straighten them out again, but never quite the same.

NS

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
As nonsuch mentioned they can bend. I have had mine years and still have the original blade attached. From time to time I have bent the tip. It seems to happen after heavy use when the blade is hot. To correct this I simply carry on sawing then place the tip in the cut / groove I have made and gently bend it back in place. Easy. I think highly of my Laplander saw, as many others do too.

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
As nonsuch mentioned they can bend. I have had mine years and still have the original blade attached. From time to time I have bent the tip. It seems to happen after heavy use when the blade is hot. To correct this I simply carry on sawing then place the tip in the cut / groove I have made and gently bend it back in place. Easy. I think highly of my Laplander saw, as many others do too.

Does it still cut as good as it used to?? well if that is the case then it looks like ive made quite a good investment :D

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Nicholson95; glad to hear that you enjoy your tools ;-)
I've had a go with Khukri,but I find them (or at least the one I tried) too heavy.
I prefer my Fiskars Brush hook for similar tasks. Before anyone says it, yes I know it can't easily do every thing a Kuk can but it does most and I'm comfortable with it. ;-)

Out of interst what size/model did you get?

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Took the antlers off a Fallow deer with a Laplander once - only tool suitable at the time, beautiful big antlers, no inclination to transport whole whiffy head etc.. It saw (ho-ho) regular service for four years after that till I lost it.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Does it still cut as good as it used to?? well if that is the case then it looks like ive made quite a good investment :D

I think so. Obviously if it has lost a bit of cutting power I wouldn't have noticed, but I'd say it's still very effective. If I lost or broke it I would certainly buy another one. I'd say you have made a very good choice.

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Nicholson95; glad to hear that you enjoy your tools ;-)
I've had a go with Khukri,but I find them (or at least the one I tried) too heavy.
I prefer my Fiskars Brush hook for similar tasks. Before anyone says it, yes I know it can't easily do every thing a Kuk can but it does most and I'm comfortable with it. ;-)

Out of interst what size/model did you get?

Cheers, Alan.

I do love my tools :)
I got the Genuine Service Issue Number 1 Gurkha Khukuri www.bkcg.co.uk
I suppose that bush hook will do well for clearing undergrowth?

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Took the antlers off a Fallow deer with a Laplander once - only tool suitable at the time, beautiful big antlers, no inclination to transport whole whiffy head etc.. It saw (ho-ho) regular service for four years after that till I lost it.

wow that would have been some experiance! how did you come across a fallow deer head? wer you hunting/game keeping?? or just find a skull or skeleton?

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Ok People after a week-end of hard use... i can safely say the Bahco Laplander worth its weight in gold, makes you wonder why you ever hacked away are larger branches! and once you have this little piece of "Essential" kit you will wonder why you never got one sooner!
the only problem i had was it opened once in my pocket (may fault though i never closed it properly)... and take the lanyard off its a waste of time. other than that little glitch its good 8/10 :) Great value for money

And the kukri done everything i expected it to do nicely, I am very happy with it. Im thinking about starting to collect kukri's they are just head and sholders above any large knife or a machete. my next purchases will prolly be gransfors bruks (dont know which size, small forest axe? maybe) and ive been looking into getting a parang, cant seem to find one...

thanks guys :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE