bag ultimate survival knife alternative

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Spotted this one on the Bay item 180702201819

I think we will end up agreeing that the BG Ultimate Fine Edge is a good package for all that others may sniff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep agreed.

I am way past worrying about image etc.

No one can seem to give me a valid reason why not or a real close alternative (in terms of price or function)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I think we're all agreed that the BG Gerber is the best at being the BG Gerber... you asked for 'alternatives', not exactly the same knife, but different. Not being sniffy as described above, just trying to answer the OP.

So, with the exact spec in mind - got to love Heinnie's new site for the custom search stuff - there are 12 which seem to fit the bill for blade length, overall length and budget. The ones which immediately leaped off the page due to 'other features' were these:

Has a sheath with a sharpener, it's £10 cheaper which buys a nice firesteel to go with it

Has a stabby point thing like the BG and is tacticool black with a funky sheath, also £10 cheaper to buy a firesteel with

Stabby point again, tacticool black, funky sheath, half the price which buys lots of toys to attach to funky sheath, not orange

Rubbery grip... has titanium something or other, tacticool black, has a signature of a TV person on it

Tacticool black with stabby point again, thick enough to batten paving slabs with (or beat whales to death with) - no firesteel but sparks from paving slabs should suffice, hollow grind just like the BG for annoying difficulty in sharpening later in life

ORANGE! Might be a bit thin for battoning 10" trees

I hasten to add the above were also chosen with a sense of humour. I've not used any of these, nor the BG Gerber - not because I'm being 'sniffy', not because I'm image conscious, not because there's someone's name on it, not because of ORANGE - but because I don't want to pay £65 for something and then have to beat the bajaesus out of it to justify the purchase. I don't play golf for much the same reason.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think we're all agreed that the BG Gerber is the best at being the BG Gerber... you asked for 'alternatives', not exactly the same knife, but different. Not being sniffy as described above, just trying to answer the OP.

So, with the exact spec in mind - got to love Heinnie's new site for the custom search stuff - there are 12 which seem to fit the bill for blade length, overall length and budget. The ones which immediately leaped off the page due to 'other features' were these:

Has a sheath with a sharpener, it's £10 cheaper which buys a nice firesteel to go with it

Has a stabby point thing like the BG and is tacticool black with a funky sheath, also £10 cheaper to buy a firesteel with

Stabby point again, tacticool black, funky sheath, half the price which buys lots of toys to attach to funky sheath, not orange

Rubbery grip... has titanium something or other, tacticool black, has a signature of a TV person on it

Tacticool black with stabby point again, thick enough to batten paving slabs with (or beat whales to death with) - no firesteel but sparks from paving slabs should suffice, hollow grind just like the BG for annoying difficulty in sharpening later in life

I hasten to add the above were also chosen with a sense of humour. I've not used any of these, nor the BG Gerber - not because I'm being 'sniffy', not because I'm image conscious, not because there's someone's name on it, not because of ORANGE - but because I don't want to pay £65 for something and then have to beat the bajaesus out of it to justify the purchase. I don't play golf for much the same reason.

A knife without a point ain't a knife. And none of those are particularly "tacticool."

That would be this

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

And I read it with the humour it was intended.

I don't want to beat it, I just want it as a user. The one I have and have beaten was simply to see if it was as bad as everyone says...

It wasn't.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
@Adze. I realise the post was humourous, but the BG is a drop point, not a tanto. Just saying. (I know. I'm being picky).

via Tapatalk mind control.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And I read it with the humour it was intended.....

TBH so did I; partially at least. One of the knives he picked ("humorously") is one of my real users. The first one in fact; although mine is one of the earlier Camilus makes rather than Ontario.

Last edited:

leon-1

Knives are a personal thing. Each to their own. Schools tend to use Mora's and Hultafors because they are a good cheap knife that ultimately is going to get abused and will be cheap enough to replace. One course I was on one of the guys learnt everything with a Mora, but afterwards he used a Ka Bar that he'd been issued with. That was his preference, the only thing that he said was that it was easier to start with the Mora, but after some practice he could achieve the same result with the Ka Bar.

I have a lot of different knives, I try to use them all for the same things, I always find that one will be better than another for one job or another due to grind or depth of blade or even the thickness of the blade. I find that the F1 is a good knife, but it's nowhere near as good for food prep as either the Russell knife or the cold steel Canadian Belt Knife. Mora's and scandi style knives are good for carving. On the whole O don't think there is a Holy Grail of knives, but the more familiarity you have with a knife the better you'll accomplish tasks with it.

If you like the BG knife, go with it, it works for you and that's all that matters.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I have a lot of different knives, I try to use them all for the same things, I always find that one will be better than another for one job or another due to grind or depth of blade or even the thickness of the blade. I find that the F1 is a good knife, but it's nowhere near as good for food prep as either the Russell knife or the cold steel Canadian Belt Knife........

If we're totally honest, they can be even more specialized than that. Even if we restrict our use only to "food prep" there are different needs; a knife that does well slicing tomatoes isn't going to be my first choice for slicing rind-on bacon.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
A knife without a point ain't a knife. And none of those are particularly "tacticool."

No no no... not tacticool... but tacticool BLACK. It has the colour of tacticool. It's like instant coffee. It's sort of the same colour and vaguely the same smell as your actual tacticool coffee... there the similarity ends ;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No no no... not tacticool... but tacticool BLACK. It has the colour of tacticool. It's like instant coffee. It's sort of the same colour and vaguely the same smell as your actual tacticool coffee... there the similarity ends ;)

Probably the same taste as well.

But TBH I have a real need for black (or at least dull, dark) blades. I wade or swim around a lot in water where bright things attract predators I'd rather not have around. Just like bright fishing lures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE