bag ultimate survival knife alternative

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ok so open myself up for a thrashing here...

I have had my BG ultimate survival with me in the woods all weekend with the idea of giving it a good beating and hating the thing......... Fail! Try as I might to find all the faults with it I am coming up short.

It chops, it batons (something I never do with a knife) it carved a spoon, notched, stripped and shaped as well as most other knives.

My only complaint is it is the serrated version so 50% of the blade is effectively useless (to me) obviously there is the plain edge version

So the question is... Is there an alternative, with the same specs (not a mora), for the same price?

Answers on a postcard.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've debated getting one of those CS Finn Bears for a while, you'd rate them then BR?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've handled and used one and liked it. Its in the same price bracket as a Mora and as good I would say. Not as keen on the sheath but really liked the puukko like feel of the knife.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've handled and used one and liked it. Its in the same price bracket as a Mora and as good I would say. Not as keen on the sheath but really liked the puukko like feel of the knife.

Thanks, it does appeal to me.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I usually get kissed first! How much? Regardless of what it will do it's a plastic handled, machine cut and sharpened knife with some sort of tacticool (PVD perhaps?) finish.

Karesuando

Helle (ok it's a little more but, come on, just look at it!)

Enzo (fair dos you'd have to handle it yourself but it's HALF the price!)

There are some pretty big names and some very good knives in that price bracket - a 5 minute trawl of Heinnie's site will turn up loads. If I were spending £65 on a knife, given that you can get a Hultafors craftsman for £6 (which is an excellent knife!), it would have to deliver far more than just being surprisingly adequate at things the cheap end of the market also does. I would have to like the way it looks, not just put up with it's ugliness because it isn't as crap is I was expecting it to be.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It's the Fine Edge version you want. Same knife, no serrations.

I recently got one for my daughter and it's surprisingly good. The sheath too is packed with features.

How you would bend the edge on it in normal use beats me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
It's the Fine Edge version you want. Same knife, no serrations.

I recently got one for my daughter and it's surprisingly good. The sheath too is packed with features.

How you would bend the edge on it in normal use beats me.

It was the cold steel fin bear I bent.... Not the BG? ;-)

Not sure any of the above knives are of similar size and heft to the BG. I have moras a plenty, a falkniven F1, Enzo that have been and gone.

Looks wise.. That's a matter of opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
My skim reading. Apologies Pignut.

Closest in feel (though arguably a better knife anyway) in my collection is the Buck Nighthawk.

By the way, Generator is still ticking nicely thank you.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Glad it is still going mate.. will google the nighthawk.
I think it is the sheath of the BG that I really like

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
There are a number of models both with and without serrations, drill outs and in different lengths. The 655 would be a very solid bushcraft blade. However the sheath on the Nighthawk is undoubtedly it's worst feature. It's one of those neoprene jobs that Buck does but a quick Google of Sonni at Beneath the Stars could sort that quickly although FGYT could no doubt do an awesome job in Kydex which would suit the knife brilliantly.

I notice on the new model they have actually moved to cordura.

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
And there in lies the trouble.... that would be the budget smashed just on the sheath!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Spotted this one on the Bay item 180702201819

I think we will end up agreeing that the BG Ultimate Fine Edge is a good package for all that others may sniff.

Last edited:

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
The Green River knife looks nice but has a very thin bendy blade. Not much good for hard use. Sold mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE