Bad news brings an opportunity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Best wishes for what ever you decide to do, if you pass Leicestershire, I'll join you for a leg of your journey, or if you just want a hot meal and/or a bath, you are more than welcome

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Thanks for the quick replies, very much appreciated.

I will be keeping some ties to modern life - my bank account for a start - so becoming lost in vagrancy will not become an issue as I will not be going 'off the radar' as such.
If I were a gap-year student planning a year's hiking around asia then the situation would be very similar, and it's not often those types slip into vagrancy.

Although my connections to my family aren't particularly strong they are definately there, and I shall keep in regular contact with them to let them know how I am doing. Solutions to emergencies would only be a phone call away, and staying in the UK will make it easier for me to do a swift about-turn should I need to.

I also know many people who live across the whole of the UK and I will be in contact with them before I decide to leave to see if they would be willing to put me up for a night or two should I be in their area, or point me in the direction of local landowners who may be willing to allow camping.
I am also more than willing to offer a days work to local farmers/land owners in exchange for a nights stay on their land. From my experiance of farmers in my area, the offer of unpaid work is always well recieved :)

Good luck! I was made redunadnant from a management positiona nd took the opportunity to re train - as a teacher.

But my thoughts - why give up your flat? Fill in a few forms and your local council wlll pay the rent. Afterall, you have worked all your adult life...

Whatever you decide - enjoy!

Simon

Hello again Simon:rolleyes:

I don't think the council will pay towards rent while there is a cash lump in the bank.

@Switch
Go for it while you can and while your up for it. It might be useful to have somewhere to go where you can get work, Try to get info on fruit/veg picking jobs etc.
When I was 21 I quit my job and went to work in the USA for 12 weeks. when I look back now (nearly 18 years ago) I can see how this experience enriched my life in many ways.
I returned after my travels with an excellent frame of mind and soon after met my wife and started a family, setup our own business and enjoyed being our own bosses.

I think planning is essential rather than wandering around with no purpose (vagrancy as xylaria said).

Good luck whatever you do.

:D

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
best advice I could give is to forget the money in the bank "earning interest". Interest rates are incredibly pathetic at the moment and will be for the next year at least.
Buy some Premium bonds with the redundancy. You will not lose anything but you will have numerous chances each month of becoming a millionaire and of course a crack at many other prizes.

Good luck with your trip it sounds fun. Where do you start? I would aim to get Scotland "done" in the summer and then down south for the winter months.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Switch,

I think it sounds great.

Some thoughts.

Being homeless (as opposed to travelling) is damned hard. Have a bolt hole (your parents place - whatever). If you get sick and need to recuperate, a place to be is important.

Beware cities, they trap your money and are really not that great places to be when travelling,

Join the YHA - access to showers etc. is important.

Get a railcard. Sometimes just another location matters.

Never, ever, sleep on your back.

Have fun.

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
do it, but I think you should also spend the next year looking at getting into work that you want to do, because you cannot be vagrant forever.
I watched a programe just now on what homecare is like for the elderly under private care. basically you work hard all your life and you get to keep your own home, where you lie in bed in your own excrement waiting for a nurse who can only see you for 4 minutes and (hopefully) give you a drink. If thats what is waiting for those of us who keep a job, get a pension and pay off their mortgage then heaven forbid it cannot be THAT much worse for those that dont!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Switch,

I think it sounds great.

Some thoughts.

Being homeless (as opposed to travelling) is damned hard. Have a bolt hole (your parents place - whatever). If you get sick and need to recuperate, a place to be is important.

Beware cities, they trap your money and are really not that great places to be when travelling,

Join the YHA - access to showers etc. is important.

Get a railcard. Sometimes just another location matters.

Never, ever, sleep on your back.

Have fun.

Red

Thanks for the reply Red.

I have many bolt-holes across the UK - Mum in Cornwall, brother in Notts, Grandparents in Norfolk, Father in Kent, friends in Scotland - so I can always jump-ship if needs be.

Cities hate me, and the feeling is mutual, so we will avoid each other as much as possible.

YHA - Good point and definately something I will do so I have another option I can consider. But camping is what I love to do and will be my main means of getting some shut-eye....

...which brings me on to...

...Never, ever, sleep on your back....

erm...?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about places that take on folks for a short time ? Like the Crannog......I think they ask for four weeks. I don't think they'll pay you but they will provide accomodation or a place to camp and facitilies. Besides, it could be good experience :D
http://www.crannog.co.uk

Or ask Locum76 about volunteering with the Cyrenians ? and Rob probably knows lots of other places to do this sort of thing too.

BTCV have projects all over the country crying out for people to help.

cheers,
M

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
basically you work hard all your life and you get to keep your own home, where you lie in bed in your own excrement waiting for a nurse who can only see you for 4 minutes and (hopefully) give you a drink. If thats what is waiting for those of us who keep a job, get a pension and pay off their mortgage then heaven forbid it cannot be THAT much worse for those that dont!

sadly that outlook on life/mentality is drummed into people from an early age in this country, especially in the state school system. Go to school/college/uni, get job, earn money, spend money, retire, die. So it can be incredibly difficult for people to realise that there is any alternative atall, and lots of pressure for them not to deviate from the orthodoxy.

I know quite a few people who live or have lived quite alternative and sometimes nomadic lifestyles in the UK and got on really well with it (my parents were of the artistic, long hair, tye-died clothes persuasion lol and have some very unusual friends). Most eventually settled down somewhere and into something to apply themselves too, once they found out what that was. All of them are very happy!

Taking the opportunity to explore a new paradigm for how you live your life can only be a good thing!

H

He' s left the building

Switch, I take my hat off to you mate, I could never do what you're proposing and I'm a natural 'drifter' (I've moved house/country/job many times as an adult).

Sounds like you are considering all the main issues.

I am currently thinking about settling back in Yorkshire as that is where my family home is, sounds like you have already thought about this (maintaining close family ties).

That's all I can add really, don't sell anything with sentimental value and keep your family and friends close (if not physically close).

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
sadly that outlook on life/mentality is drummed into people from an early age in this country, especially in the state school system. Go to school/college/uni, get job, earn money, spend money, retire, die. So it can be incredibly difficult for people to realise that there is any alternative atall, and lots of pressure for them not to deviate from the orthodoxy.

I know quite a few people who live or have lived quite alternative and sometimes nomadic lifestyles in the UK and got on really well with it (my parents were of the artistic, long hair, tye-died clothes persuasion lol and have some very unusual friends). Most eventually settled down somewhere and into something to apply themselves too, once they found out what that was. All of them are very happy!

Taking the opportunity to explore a new paradigm for how you live your life can only be a good thing!

I think modern life attempts to make us forget some very important issues in life.
Firstly that it ends, secondly you don't know when, and third, that nothing is guaranteed. (apart from the first point!) Two books to read that changed my world view:
Ragged trousered philanthropists
Zen and the art of motorcycle mantainance. I think theyll help you in making the jump to a new life style.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Switch

Carpe diem

So many options for you. How about round Britain by coast

Also on a practical level if you want to get your six months job seekers allowance (£60.50 per week) then make sure you tell them you will be "travelling" around looking for work and see if you can avoid having to sign on at your home job centre,,,,,,,just a thought.

Although I'm happy with my lot
a part of me is envious

Good luck

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My view from the other side of the pond is go for it man....what a great idea.

Staying in the UK is a nice idea in my view too. You could pick up day jobs etc as you go for the fun of it. Snippets of local flavor to savor and no legal hassels with pay etc that you could have trying for small jobs outside of the UK.

I would love to do this.

I definately would keep a well done journal and grab some images....a book would be fun to put together sometime in the future.

Walk the island....man what fun this could be.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Thanks very much for all the replies, you've all given me a lot to consider.

I'm now more motivated to do this and am actually getting quite excited by the idea, so thank you.

Lots more planning needed and storage arrangements to be made with family etc, but I think this will soon be under way :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No ties? Go for it. Start off in Greece, do a bit of island hopping and head up through Europe back to the UK, THEN start your round Britain trip:)

wolfshead

Jun 21, 2008
Kibblesworth
Quote''The saddest words Iv'e ever heard or seen are just these four, what might have been'' I don't know who first said that but it's something I try to live by. Life changing opportunities don't come very often and the majority of us let them slip away (Myself included) Many,Many moons ago I did something similar in France. It was only for a few weeks but the memories have stayed with me all of my Iife. I take my hat off to you mate and wish you all the luck in the world

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE