Bad news brings an opportunity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It is not just banks, you could get mail from lots of different people, that needs answering if you want to go back to your old way of life.

It would be nice to think that we could all simply walk away from all bureaucracy and paperwork, best not to though, if your driving license photo ID expires and you don't renew it you may be fined, if you don't update the DVLC with 'your normal address' you may be fined. someone may clone your bank card and the bank won't be able to confirm whether or not you are the one spending all your money.

The Iphone has lots of issues that make it a problem for what he wants to do...

My growing dislike for Apple would prevent me from ever owning an iPhone which is why I also suggested the OpenMoko, much lighter than a netbook, easier to protect from theft, damp and bumps. No movies though, you'd just have to go to the cinema instead. :)

I have scanned several books and converted them to HTML which allows me to read them on a small Fugitsu PDA, it has a long battery life and it is much lighter that carting forty odd books around with me :D

As someone else said watch the dole, best bet with them is go in(Most Honest), and register, but say you are not going to look for work

By all means speak to the dole people, but get a letter of to the Taxman too, do not rely on the Social Security people to do it for you, the Taxman is the most important person to keep straight.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Good luck, enjoy yourself.

Swimming pools are good for a shower and a warm up and relax in safe circumstances, sometimes the cafe is subsidised by the council so a decent meal is to be had.

When you return you will have to patch the perceived hole in your CV. I like the idea of a project to write a book. pick a topic and keep notes, I would chose 'The history of vagrancy' this project allows entry to libraries to see their archives when it rains and you never know you might finish it and publish. Anyway it fills the CV 'hole' with a legitimate and positive purpose. 'May 09 -July 10 Researcher for social comment thesis 'Vagrancy in the 19C' and you will have the notes to prove it.

P.S. I like Moleskine note books, see Moleskine UK

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
You go for it Switch. :beerchug:

In my 'Officially retired from the rat race thread' harryhaller wrote 'it's more fun cutting down on those bills than trying to get extra money to pay for them'. That's so true, and I like that quote. (nice one Harry) It could also apply to 'things and stuff' It's more fun getting by on a little, with few things, than working all the hours god sends so you can have a lot.
I can't claim a bean (I was informed by letter yesterday from the job centre plus) because I left voluntarilly. Never mind that I was threatend and was shaken up, which is why I left. And never mind that I've paid into the system for 30 years, dosn't matter a jot. I don't know what the 'plus' bit means, it used to be just 'the job centre'. It must mean .............Plus we're gong to make it as difficult for you to claim anything as possible, even though you've paid thousands of pounds in over the years.
Anyway good luck mate. I hope you enjoy you're adventure.

Go for it!

Best thing I ever did was pack in my job and go travelling for the best part of 2 years.
If your not adamant on sticking to the UK you can earn your way round quite easilly following the harvests across Europe and pick up casual work as you go for as long as you need it - great way to meet people, get to work the land and retain the freedom to move on when you want.

If you can play an instrument take it with you (unless you play a harp!) A few hours busking in the high street will provide funds for food / beer while also being just about the best way to meet girls I have ever known! (You do also become a magnet for every nutjob in the area but frequenting this place would have been good enough training to handle that!)

Have fun!

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
I've travelled around for many years with just a rucksack and a guitar for company, sleeping either on campsites or roughing it, and my advice is this:

Close the door behind you, and don't look back.

Everything else will take care of itself.

Good luck with your journey, it's a courageous thing you are planning to do.

"The road is long, and the crossroads are many..."

all the best, mate!

Al :)

Emile

Mar 19, 2009
Edinburgh
some good things to think about have been brought up, my contribution is in the form of a woman I met 2 years ago on Vancouver Island. She had been made redundant at her work back in England and had taken the opportunity to go on a solo cycle trip all over north America. If I remember correctly she'd been at it for a few months and was keen to continue for a while. It was her first solo and first cycle trip, again, it was two years ago so details are lacking but you get the idea: redundancy, big trip, alone, adventure, opportunity.
When I read your (Switch) post I immediately thought of her and how content she was (or appeared), and from what I remember she was no in hurry to return nor did she have a strict plan for when she did.
Good luck, whatever you decide!

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Switch

Go for it. I did something similar twice in my life. Once I left a nice little existence in Germany to walk the length of the Tejo/Tajo in the Iberian peninsula. I lost my relationship and the place I was living, but it was exactly what I needed.

The second time I chucked my comfortable little job to go back to Uni and take an MSc, not knowing what it would lead to and where I'd end up. I met my wife after the course and now have a smashing son and a great job.

Positive risks. It'll be the best time of your life.

If you're in Kent, drop me a line, we have a shower and a futon.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Ain't nothin' that I can say that hasn't been covered already mate.....But if ye be in Wales on yer travels, throw me a flag an' ye have a crash pad fer as long as needed......:headbang:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i envy you your freedom of choice mate, i did a drastic life change 13 years ago, best thing i ever did, i just walked away from the house in the south East of England ( keys to the estate agent, sell this and all the contents, including food in the freezer ! ) phoned the boss and said i wasn't coming back ) jumped in the car with £700 in my pocket and never looked back.

Now, 13 years later, i'm married to a wonderful lady, have a lovely house by the sea and enjoy my life.

If you ever get to Northern Ireland, I've got a spare bed and a shower if you ever need it.

enjoy the experience mate and always laugh.

stay safe

Robbi.

A few people have suggesting claiming JSA, I can't see how that's even remotely possible in this case.
To qualify for JSA Switch would need to attend his local Job Centre to "sign on" and provide evidence of jobseeking. If I recall correctly that has to be done every 2 weeks. Don't attend, don't get paid.

As for other benefits - most benefits seem to be reserved for people who can't work because day jobs clash with those brain-rot shows where the dregs of society argue over who's baby it is and night jobs clash with talent shows and getting hammered on cheap beer at the local ficht-club/pub. Someone decent doing taking a year or so to do something positive with redundancy is more likely to be told where to stick it rather than given hand-outs.

Remeber - working stiffs pay into a system - but it isn't a system that's there for them - it's a system that is there to steal from the hard-working, line the pockets of those who run the system and to buy votes from the lazy sods who can't be bothered working, and dangle hollow carrots in front of those who work while getting a few legitimate "benefits" along the way. Think of it like that and you won't mistakenly believe that because you've paid into the system so should somehow get something out of it.

The system is not your friend - it is your enemy.

Switch...
Have an absolute blast. If you do take the opportunity to head out to the mainland too, I'd personally recommend Chamonix-Mont-Blanc in Haute-Savoie, France. It's hectic in high season (Christmas, New Year and Easter over the Winter and the School holidays in Summer) but in Spring and Autumn it's quiet and absolutely stunning at all times of the year. You might want to try walking the Haute Route while in that area. Chamonix to Zermatt I seem the recall. About 2 weeks of walking if you take your time.
If you do get to Chamonix, get yourself into MBC (Micro Brasserie de Chamonix) - a micro-brewery and pub with brilliant food on the main road from Chamonix to Argentière. The beer there is really good.

I'd also second the advice from others to not only get your jollies wandering, but also to use the opportunity to train up in a field you'd love to work in that gives you the level of freedom and lifestyle you want (or at least something close).

Good luck.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I would also look into the woofing, and other places that do courses.I know quite a few people would be willing to let someone (reliable) camp out of the way for a spare pair of hands now and again.
One place worth lookin might be Bodfori in north wales, the chap who runs courses from there (Rod) is a really nice chap and has previously let people stay camping any use the facilities for a bit of a hand with charcoal buring and also runs many good green woodwork etc courses from there. I belive this year others are going to start teaching from out of his shed too.
One thing though - if you do head that way can you keep an eye out for the bit of my thumb that went missing after a slip with the hook knife....

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
-Switch- me old mate, sorry to hear about the job (and sorry for bumping this thread folks, not been around for a while).

I also know many people who live across the whole of the UK and I will be in contact with them before I decide to leave to see if they would be willing to put me up for a night or two should I be in their area, or point me in the direction of local landowners who may be willing to allow camping.

You know you're always more than welcome to crash on my floor, i might even be able to put you in touch with a few land owners up this way (should be able to sort out some work for you too).

Good luck with your plans, i hope it all works out and you do it.

One last thing .. answer yer damn phone!!

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I'm glad Twoflower revived this thread or I might have missed it. In 1980 when my 1st marriage went horribly wrong I went backbacking for a few weeks to gather my thoughts, A month later I phoned my boss to say I wont be back in the near future. 18 months later I returned to civilisation, the only night I spent in a bed during that time was when I spent the night in hospital having clashed heads with a very alarmed deer that thought the best way to run away was to charge me down first. As I was backpacking the only kit I had apart from my spare clothing was an ex marine waterproof sleeping bag with a canopy, canteen, a decent heavy knife (prob. wont be allowed to walk around with it now though) a saw blade, fire stick, and a basic first aid kit, I walked across most of N. Wales, quite a lot of the mid part of England down the east coast and back along the south, I sometimes did some work in exchange for a place to lay my bed and a couple of £ for some baccy. Every mile I covered was on my own 2 feet I ate well sometimes a meal in exchange for some work but mainly from what nature provided. I have some excellent memories and I've been sat here thinking if I have any regrets................. still thinking ........... no nothing comes to mind. Now happily married 3 lovely heirs to my estate (car that is) I love to pass on my stories, love of the outdoors and learnings to them

Colin

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Late into this thread switch - and not a great deal to offer - except this. When i was getting out of the army i had intended to transfer to the NZ SAS and spend a few years there get residency and travel around it for a while - my mate found me a job in the UK and so i never did it and have regretted it ever since. I am content that i now have a house wife and daughter and all those comfy things but i always regretted not doing the other thing.
Go for it - learn every lesson that the world offers to teach you, and never regret a bit of it.

Nietzsche put it perfectly
that which does not kill us makes us stronger

Having just come back from a holiday in the pacific I woould concur with the idea you should go somewhere that youre not likely to see again, personally I want to see more of Australia, oh yes and Mongolia. And Peru. Iceland, Alaska.......

Cairngorms are nice too

Have fun mate

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
go for it and if you decide to take in the channel islands give me a shout when you get to guernsey will see you ok for a hotmeal and boat ride to the smaller islands of herm and sark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE