Bad news brings an opportunity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I can only applaud your positive attitude, that in itself is the best possible start. Would you consider travelling outside the UK? My missus backpacked round Asia for very little cash , doing bits of jobs here and there. Lots of opportunities came her way, including a spell making good money teaching English in Japan. Then there is kibbutz living in Israel, the world really is your oyster.

Whatever you end up doing I wish you the very best with it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sounds like you've got most of it covered and it's good to turn a curved ball into a real opportunity.

You've already said you will have an exit route - that's vital; it's very easy to drop out but can be close to impossible to get back into society if you have no cash, no address, and no references.

One other thing, and this is just down to my own life morals, I would not draw on the state if I have chosen to drop out - that seems unfair to those that are left doing 9-5 to pay taxes - just a personal view.

One other thing, and this is just down to my own life morals, I would not draw on the state if I have chosen to drop out - that seems unfair to those that are left doing 9-5 to pay taxes - just a personal view.

i dunno about that; if he's worked and payed his taxes thus far, i don't see why he shouldn't try and get something back. after all, it's not intended to be a permanent solution.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He won't be entitled anyway since they will take his savings into account.
Son 2 was made redundant and didn't get a penny because he's a thrifty lad.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good way to deal with the current economic climate "Bail!"

Sounds like your in a perfect situation to give it a go so go for it.

Who knows things may be a little rosier when you decide to put down again.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
-Switch-

Good for you mate!

There will no doubt be times when you're cold, wet, tired, hungry and thoroughly cheesed off. Your feet will be sore, your back will ache and your legs will feel like lead.

That said, there will be times as well when you will feel so wonderful that you'll think you've died and gone to Heaven!

I don't know if you are a diarist, but I'd reccommend keeping a journal. This is probably going to be a momentous event in your life and in years to come, you won't be able to remember everything.

KEEP IN TOUCH with us buddy - internet access is free at most public libraries!

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Just to second what someone else already said, why limit yourself to the UK? Europe, India, South America, Australia. Just trying to tempt you.

As for what to take. A positive mental attitude is important, but not as important as soft toilet paper. Start every day with a clean slate, so to speak.

ladanddad

Mar 2, 2009
northern ireland
No advice but good luck and enjoy, keep a journal and take plenty of pictures. Looking forward to the book, keep posting on here Iam sure it will be well read. If you ever come over to Northern Ireland PM me food and a bed company if you want.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Why don't you write a book about it?

Please God, no! Not another 'How I found myself doing something unusual' books.

-----------------------------------------------

I admire the sentiment but I would suggest that you don't 'get rid' of all the trappings of modern life (DVDs, vids, etc) - put some of them in storage! Otherwise, you'll only regret it later when you decide to try and replace the things you liked. By all means, get rid of the things you never use any more.

I think that, overall, it's a good idea. You have some financial security with the redundancy money and this is the opportunity to try something different. However, I can't help thinking that a wiser idea may be to have a good, long holiday, and then seriously think about retraining and finding something that you like doing and could earn you enough to live comfortably (the definition of 'comfortable' is up to you).

You have the chance to do a lot of thinking about where you go from here - use the time well. Good luck.

Remember - no book!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you find yourself near people and you look like you've slept in a ditch then you may attract the wrong kind of attention. In the UK attracting the wrong kind of attention can land you in a police cell.

Keep your self clean, shave frequently, a large sized, hard bristled toothbrush shorn of its handle makes an ideal nail brush, useful for cleaning ground in dirt on your hands and scrubbing shirt collars etc. For my travels I made a ridiculously small wash kit sized to fit into a conventional soap dish.

Rohan produce a polo shirt that dries in an hour, weighs little and quickly loses any creases after unpacking, ideal for 'civilizing' yourself before popping into the village for supplies.

People will steal your stuff, if you carry things that you constantly worry about losing you'll live in a constant state of paranoia. So use a coffee can stove rather than a titanium one, carry a mora rather than a woodlore etc.

I met a Ugandan man in southern Spain, he was making his way to France where his son worked, he carried his 'kit' in the pockets of (or was rolled into) an old tweed jacket. When he set out each day he'd fold in the sleeves and roll up the jacket into a rough cylinder, tied it shut with string and hung it under his arm like a bedroll, no fancy nylon pouches or organizers needed. :)

Do you know any 'important' people, your MP, local magistrate, university professor etc. Ask them to prepare a letter of introduction, explaining what you are about and that your not a 'bad lad'.

It can help.

:D

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
He won't be entitled anyway since they will take his savings into account.
Son 2 was made redundant and didn't get a penny because he's a thrifty lad.

cheers,
Toddy

Sorry toddy but you are wrong here.

Everybody is entitled to job seekers allowance (contribution based) for six months regardless of how much money they have in the bank (even millionaires!). As long as you have been paying national insurance of course!

After six months you go onto JSA(income based) and this is when your savings etc comes into it.
I'd tell your son to get on the phone sharpish if he's been told otherwise.

An extra £60.50 per week is not to be sniffed at and might well help the OP fullfill his dreams.

Monny

Nov 30, 2008
N.Lanarkshire
Hello folks!! Happy Easter and good day to you all..!.!.!

I've been a frequent visitor to the Bushcraft UK website for the past wee while now, although I did create a profile when I first stumbled across the site I never bothered signing in since then... rather i've just been browsing as a guest on and off, soaking up the wealth of information and knowledge that you guys have graciously provided for bushcrafter new comers like myself and I havent really had the urge to comment on any topics until THIS ONE!!
I mean WOW Switch!!! What a grande Idea!! I too have been pondering such a journey for quite some time now... i've just never plucked up the balls to go for it!! and its kind of been stashed away at the back of my mind....
But after reading this thread and your guys comments to Switch I'm thinking maybe I should just go for it aswell.... My jobs only garunteed for the next few months also... although no redundancy for me i'm afraid.... my contract just expires... I do have slight commitments also... a long term girlfriend who doesnt share my passion for an epic life changing expedition such as this one.
The thought of an Epic tramp across Europe working as and when required really ignites my soul!!
Good luck Switch in whatever direction your feet decide to take you.... and thanks for posting! This thread has re-knidled my passion for adventure and brought a wealth of new ideas to the forefront of my thinking...GOOD LUCK!!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Three things I would take on board -

One - Technology - Got yourself a wireless pay as you go mobile, and laptop/netbook. You want wireless because it is free in a lot of places now. Also get copies of everything important, and put them on a USB stick, and on an online account. You could take all you want with you so you can still listen to music or watch you favorite films.

Two - Address - Keep one, even if it is just your mums, so you can have someone opening your mail, and an address for your bank. I think you only have to pay Poll tax if you spend a lot of time there.

Three - Money - I would go for the major amount in this climate in Premium bonds. Work out how much you need a month, and times it by 12, and have that amount as a savings account.

That said, I do not know about the book, but I am sure we would all read a blog if you put one up.

Good luck, by the way.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Switch, good luck fella. Red has come up with good ideas regarding joining the YHA, at least then you'll be able to have a shower etc at certain points enroute.
Packing some personal items that you would like back would be better than flogging the lot aswell as has been said.

But overall - Get out there and do it and enjoy it and record it all. We will want to see it both during and at the end.

Good Luck

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Two - Address - Keep one, even if it is just your mums, so you can have someone opening your mail, and an address for your bank. I think you only have to pay Poll tax if you spend a lot of time there...

If you plan to keep a bank account (and you should) then you will need to keep an address and ideally there should be someone living at that address that you trust enough to check your mail and answer phone calls from your bank. Banks can suddenly decide to change your bank card even though it may be a year before the card expiry date. Banks also have an annoying habit of freezing your account if you use it in what they consider to be an odd manner, it helps if the person they phone doesn't answer the phone with "no he doesn't live here" :D

...yourself a wireless pay as you go mobile, and laptop/netbook. You want wireless because it is free in a lot of places now. Also get copies of everything important, and put them on a USB stick, and on an online account. You could take all you want with you so you can still listen to music or watch you favorite films.

Even a netbook is a heavy thing to cart around and again it is something that people will want to steal from you, if you feel the need to keep in touch then an iPhone or similar would be a lighter alternative. The USB stick idea isn't such a good one if the information on it isn't encrypted, if this is something you want to do then look into something like Password Gorilla.

Let the Tax Man know that you are planning a sabbatical and will not be making a claim for benefits nor will you be in full time employment, the Inland Revenue site doesn't feature a box to tick for what you planning, Write a letter to your normal Tax Office explaining your plans at least a month before your planned departure.

:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
East coaster, thank you for the information, Son2 is working again, but he is quite certain that that was the information he was given by the job centre/ employment/ benefits?? staff. I do know that he didn't receive a penny.

Switch, don't just take his example on board, if you are travelling around and are still actively looking for suitable work, take what benefits you are offered and check that they have gotten things right. You worked for them.

Lots of really good information coming out in this thread :approve: lots of helpful ideas that translate well into camping/ travelling/ rambling.

cheers,
Toddy

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
This is the opportunity to "be all that you can be", and you'll have backups in place: money in the bank, people to sleep at, and all BCUK-ers here to meet.

Be realistic: you won't meet bright and happy people EVERYday, the sun won't shine EVERYday, but EVERYday you'll be free.

So by alle means: go for it and enjoy the h*ll out of it!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
If you plan to keep a bank account (and you should) then you will need to keep an address and ideally there should be someone living at that address that you trust enough to check your mail and answer phone calls from your bank. Banks can suddenly decide to change your bank card even though it may be a year before the card expiry date. Banks also have an annoying habit of freezing your account if you use it in what they consider to be an odd manner, it helps if the person they phone doesn't answer the phone with "no he doesn't live here" :D

It is not just banks, you could get mail from lots of different people, that needs answering if you want to go back to your old way of life.

Even a netbook is a heavy thing to cart around and again it is something that people will want to steal from you, if you feel the need to keep in touch then an iPhone or similar would be a lighter alternative. The USB stick idea isn't such a good one if the information on it isn't encrypted, if this is something you want to do then look into something like Password Gorilla.

The Iphone has lots of issues that make it a problem for what he wants to do. First thing that springs to mind is all of the price plans, even the pay as you go is a screw you plan.

The reason I said Netbook was if you wanted to you could watch the odd movie etc.

The only thing to keep in mind is all of your devices need to be wireless, so you can access free internet.

Ref: USB stick I hold my hand up, I honestly did not think anyone would carry valuable data on one without protecting it.

Let the Tax Man know that you are planning a sabbatical and will not be making a claim for benefits nor will you be in full time employment, the Inland Revenue site doesn't feature a box to tick for what you planning, Write a letter to your normal Tax Office explaining your plans at least a month before your planned departure.

As someone else said watch the dole, best bet with them is go in(Most Honest), and register, but say you are not going to look for work, for a time. Even ask there advice for the best way to handle what you plan. Not telling them, means if you need them, they do not belive you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE