Ayrshire D&G meet confirmed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I will be in a tent as I don't have a hammock yet (but will soon)

I am also bringing my 10 year old son for his first camping trip, unless there are any objections? He won't be any bother, but he is autistic.

'Course there's no objections, everyone is welcome,toddlers to those the age of Filcon.:lmao:

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I could do with some guidance on any of the following over the weekend if anyone is able to shed some light on it?

Fire bow and drill making - I can make the components, but I don't seem to be using the correct wood combination, because it doesn't work
Tree identification - I find this impossible in winter when there are no leaves (I'm not great with it in the summer either)
Wild foods or useful wild resources (like sphagnum moss for it's anaesthetic properties or for cleaning pans or it's ability to soak up water)
Useful knots (I can do prussic and siberian hitch)
Good tarp configurations

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I could do with some guidance on any of the following over the weekend if anyone is able to shed some light on it?

Fire bow and drill making - I can make the components, but I don't seem to be using the correct wood combination, because it doesn't work
Tree identification - I find this impossible in winter when there are no leaves (I'm not great with it in the summer either)
Wild foods or useful wild resources (like sphagnum moss for it's anaesthetic properties or for cleaning pans or it's ability to soak up water)
Good tarp configurations

Colin (coln18) is your man for the tarp configurations

Jason

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington

Good tarp configurations

I'm with you mate, I'm more or less clueless about all of the above

Dave

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I,m not to bad at tree id but you have to cut it into nice straight planks first .

Craig.......................

Cutchy

Jan 18, 2011
Ayr
Sounds like it's going to be a good trip. Think I'll bring my tent and maybe fishing rod. I'm tempted to bring the kayak but think al just leave it and save putting the roof rack and stuff on! Anything planned for during the day on sat?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Went down for a recce today.

All is good to go, no-ones been near the old house.

I'm going to put the 'chute for the communal area near the car park.

There are ample places for your tents, hammocks or bivis.

I've sussed two put ins for canoes but they involve a portage of c. 300m each from the car park.

You could put in the river but theirs a wee weir,only 6" at most near the loch and some gravel beds.

Two carrying the craft and there'll be no probs'.

Watched Raven,Jay,Nuthatch and G.S Woodpecker along with usual other birds.

In a couple of months Wood Warbler, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Pied Flycatcher will be in the woods.

Always keep an eye overhead as Golden Eagle can be seen (if your lucky).
I have, often.

There are ample walking and mountain biking routes and plenty places to chill out on your own.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Everyone know where they're going?

From Glentrool village turn at signposts for Bruces Stone.

2/3 mile to visitors centre/car park,from there continue c. 1 1/2 miles and you will see a sign for Start of Loch Trool trail,turn right here and 2/10 of a mile brings you to car park where we're going to be.

Easy peasy.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Everyone know where they're going?

From Glentrool village turn at signposts for Bruces Stone.

2/3 mile to visitors centre/car park,from there continue c. 1 1/2 miles and you will see a sign for Start of Loch Trool trail,turn right here and 2/10 of a mile brings you to car park where we're going to be.

Easy peasy.
What time are you heading there at Tam ?

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE