Axes and kukries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
And again it’s time for a bit of debate: I’m just back from a very good tour in Sweden, enjoyed the rest & nature, flyfished (bushcraft with a purpose;) ) and put some equipment to the test. Beside some minor issues, such as weight etc. (I carry too much!) I was very pleased with the gear assembled over the past period and with much help from the members of this forum.

Top items:

- Swanndri
- Tahr anorack, even used as a wading jacket;
- Forester trousers
- Iisakki knive + firesteel
- Army trangia
- Haglöfs Alaska rucksack

My biggest question is still if the axe (GB SFA) is better than a kukri. In the past I was a great fan of the kukri and recently I switched over to the axe. My experience so far is that the kukri is nevertheless superior to the axe.

Some points in favour of the kukri:

- the kukri is more stable for small work like splitting logs etc;
- the kukri is better for fiddly tasks like shaving firesticks;
- the kukri has enough power to fell a small tree (10-15 cm diameter). For bigger trees I use a saw anyway
- the kukri can be used as a knife, drawknife, for some light pounding and behaves very well with a baton
- the edge is 3-4 times longer than that of an axe and thus with more functions
- the kukri size is more manageable

I can appreciate some arguments with regard to safety (mainly with regard to the ‘follow through’ of the kukri) but I’m convinced that a kukri is easier to use and thus creating more confidence and safety.

Obviously this will create some discussion and I’m looking forward to it.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I feel that a kukri would be a more versatile piece of equipment than an axe(SFA) in the right hands, although an axe(SFA) is more suitable for heavier type work.

I have seen ghurkas in action with there kukris and they make short work of alot of different things, such as food prep, shelter building, firewood prep and making themselves various bits of furniture from the surrounding fauna. But most of those guys play with kukris as kids and its just part of their everyday upbringing.

Personally I wouldn't like to think that I'm truly confident in using either so this is just my thoughts on the subject really.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Far be it from m e to rock the boat, Mastino, (as if) but for my money in the northern forest is has to be the axe. Granted, if one is used to the performance of the Kukri, and moves over to the axe, the period of adjustment may create the impression that the former is superior to the latter, but I think that a period of adjustment should be allowed for.

I can’t form an objective viewpoint thinking that one is better than the other, rather that ones conditioning and experience is greatly influential, and not forgetting that environment plays a big part. Also. I’m sure that if the inhabitants of the northern forest needed the attributes of the Kukri, they would have invented the Kukri, and vice versa (large blades of the Sami not withstanding).

Call me a traditionalist if you like, but I’ll not take that as an insult :D

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: Praise to you on the choice of the Tahr, by the way :)

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Where do you get a kukri in the UK that is made of decent steel? Most of the things I have come across have been mild steel or low grade stainless. I would like to try one out but feel but have never found one I could put a genuine edge on.

Sandsnakes

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I am no expert on edges but the kukri I bought from Tora seems to be very well made. As you know they are made from high tensile leaf springs and imported from Nepal. I have really given mine some wellie and the blade takes it and is easy to re sharpen.

P1010065.jpg

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Where do you get a kukri in the UK that is made of decent steel? Most of the things I have come across have been mild steel or low grade stainless. I would like to try one out but feel but have never found one I could put a genuine edge on.

Sandsnakes

I feel sure I’ve seen the one that KAE1 has posted for sale on a UK site at some point during the last week or so, but for the life of me I can’t remember where it was :)o )

I’ve not got any personal experience of this one (or any other, come to that) but the Gurkha Kukri at http://www.sasskit.co.uk/ is apparently current Indian army issue (dunno?)

I'll have a rummage around, and if I can find the other one, I'll post the URL.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Yep, I would give Tora kukris a further vote (despite not being a fan of the things myself). I occasionally regrind and sharpen their blades for Simon, so I can say for sure that they are very good steel :)

Tora also have a great range of styles and not huge prices ;) I've been out in the woods trying a kukri this morning as it happens. I think I'll stick to a billhook for woodland management, they suit me better. That said, many peole prefer the bent knives over straight ones!

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Aaah... I see we have wandered into my neck of the woods again... hi Green man...
Now as for the merits of either axe or Khuk.

Axe:
longer reach, less effort, less experiance / training to use, easier to use & if used correctly less likely to bite you & infinatly better for use above the snowline or borial (sic) forest.

Khukri:
good for close country, light & easy to carry, very sharp with alot of potential to bite one, can be used for all the jobs a light axe will do (thats its job in Nepal) also good for slaughtering livestock (goats and sheep, again its original job) fatiguing to use for long periods, requires more practise and training to use safely, better suited to jungle areas or light scrubby mountains.

I personly own an older model Indian Army issue model (1960's) which has a large blade of about 18 inches long, great wood whaker and for clearing scrub, I also have an English issue one made by Sheffield, (current) smaller, about 9 inches that I can do pretty much anything I need to do out in the bush.
I also own a SFA, and love it, its great for all the jods I need to do and it goes with me every where, but if I am traveling light and fast then I will take the Khuk, (its an army thing...).

any way I hope this is helpful...

Cheers,

Karl

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Mine arrived from Tora today, butchers Kukri as i fancied something a little different :lmao:
Sharp straight from the bubble wrap and feels superb in the hand, will be using it for two weeks in Norways wood's in October as my only tool see this thread on bb http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40742 , similar sort of question i suppose, axe v big knife :soapbox:

Attachments

• STA70594.JPG
    STA70594.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 48
Interesting thread, Mastino and I'm with you on the carrying too much weight thing!!

Timely, for me, as well as I've been considering the cutting tools question quite often lately. The problem with the axe is that it takes skill to use effectively as an all round tool - this involves training, experience and/ or talent.

My current thinking is that I'll keep my axe (Roselli all round), which is great (in my hands) for coarse chopping, limbing and especially splitting wood - and I'll partner it with a 21cm Leuku/ 8.5cm puukko combo. The theory being a graduation of cutting tools from coarse to fine. I know some on here can perform intricate work with the axe that I can only dream of, but I'm suiting my limitations!

The Leuku/ Puukko is on order and I'm expecting it within a week, so I'll wait until I have evaluated it before posting a review/ link.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I think there is just too much choice. I am a great fan of the leuku and will have to treat myself one day. Trouble is I cannot really justify what I would use it for other than fine limbing as my knives will deal with carcasses and the khuk ( and soon to arrive # 2 Golok) will deal with the woodland work.

Just to add more choice, the Martindale Paratrooper is a very handy looking tool. It was originally designed for the RAF to compliment the survival kit that was attached to the ejector seat pack.

I have found 'cutleryscience' a useful site on the subject.
http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/martindale_machetes.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE