Axes and airplanes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
So I'm off for a rather lengthy trip in Sweden this summer and the thought suddenly struck me, am I allowed to bring all my sharps?
Obviously won't be trying to bring my axe and knives in my cabin luggage but I just wanted to double check that it's legal to have them in check in luggage.

Cheers.
Fred.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Loads of people on the forum have flown to scandinavia with sharps in their hold luggage.

Just make sure they're well protected in your luggage and you'll be fine

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I think it would be wise to check with the airline and get written evidence, to print out take with you. Also worth a quick e-mail to both sets of customs, just to be safe. I have always travelled with leathermans in my hold luggage and had no problem, but that's not an axe. At least if you have something on paper (e-mail) you will have chance at getting through some pompous jobsworth.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
This is the banned in the hold list for heatrow. Most if not all airports will have an online list available.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/heathrow-security/hold-baggage

Remember it is not illigal to have an axe or knife in public as long as you have good reason. Google/ring your airport, see if they have local restrictions. Pack it securely into your luggage, be open and direct with any check point staff and I would bet you'd be okay.

Google your destination countries laws regarding the tools. Also if the destination airport has any local rules. But! Seeing as you can take a rifle on most airways to many countries(with appropriate permissions and papers) I don't see that you would have an issue.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looking at that list for Heathrow brings up a question about self luminous compasses (both magnetic and radioactive albeit minutely so)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've flown to Sweden and Norway many times with axes in my hold luggage and never ever had any problems. Never been asked about it or stopped or anything.
on one of the first trips I did there were 16 of us, all with knives, folders, axes etc in our hold luggage and all was fine.....except one chap had a hard metal sig fuel bottle in his luggage and he was called over the airport loudspeaker system to come and open the bottle to prove it had no fuel in it....when he opened his case to do it (the bottle was empty) still no mention was made of the full size go forest axe in his pack....they could see from the rest of his kit and from the smell of him what we'd all been doing and it wasn't a problem to them at all.

Cant be sure of other countries but gong to Sweden or Norway....unless you're an idiot about it (getting it out and waving it about for god know what reason) then you won't have any problems and shouldn't need to check anything or tell anybody.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes, but only certain models of certain makes, though the magnetic side of things could be true of a hand bag closure which would be much stronger. :)

I hadn't though about the clasps. So many innocuous things like that around.

FKeate

Forager
Jun 12, 2014
London
Hi guys thanks for the advice. Glad to know it should all be ok, emailing the airline/airport etc sounds like a good idea though. God I can't wait to get going!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE