Axe vs Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Yes I see the marks on it , I think it was a quite coarse stone , but no worries I will finish the sharpening by myself I dont mind , but look at the blade on top it is spined does it have to be like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
You mean the edge is not in line with the handle? I guess that doesnt help, but I cant see it having too much effect on chopping and splitting.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I mean look at this pocture clearly you can see that one side is thicker than other on both sides , its spinned a little I think
4a3ad59f1ab1d55143084b91431bcdd7.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
It doesn't metter to me if it wont effect its work , will I have problems with it ?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah thats what i meant mate. A Roughly finished and uneven grind is to be expected on an axe like that, i had a hultafors that was almost a chisel grind it was so uneven
It will chop and split as it is but it would be a much better tool with a good grind on it

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I mean it is unsymetrycal
I have a 1000 grit arkansas stone and a strop and today I will work on it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I mean it is unsymetrycal

Yup, thats what i mean by "uneven grind"

If it were mine i'd even it out (make it symmetrical) with either a belt grinder or a flap disc on a 115mm angle grinder, you'd need to take it slow and keep it cool with bucket of water with a grinder though

Check some vids on youtube for axe sharpening/re-profiling....wranglestar might be a good place to start

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I dont have no electric tools , only one I have is electric hand grinder which I left in my house in the mountains.
I have a file 400 grit stone and sandpaper

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
400grit will get you there eventually, just a lot harder work than with a hand grinder :D

Don't panic over it for now though buddy, it will chop stuff up

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Yeah I think I will leave it like that I dont mind , I will just sharpen it and it will be ready to go

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
400grit will get you there eventually, just a lot harder work than with a hand grinder :D

Don't panic over it for now though buddy, it will chop stuff up

Yeah, I think 400 grit would be a bit slow going for me too. However I find a 120/240 grit combo works just fine. Like the above poster, I am not much for power tools.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
My husky hatchet came perfect in the grind thankfully, once the grind is polished nicely it'll perform very well. The once you have seems to have some kind of oil or varnish on the handle, mine never came with any treatment so i used teak oil on it. After a good few years its still looking well. Good purchase.

Tonyuk

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I do have a few hatchets and generally use at home for kindling processing.
However, for the trekking through the woods I think they are heavy for their utility. A folding saw and maybe big knife like a Skrama weight the same as a Small Forest Axe. Most importantly in terms of safety get it wrong with a hatchet or short axe then you could be in self inflicted trouble. You can do damage to yourself with your knife or even saw but not as bad as an axe. Sure its self discipline when it comes to safety but short axes are notorious. A full sized felling axe are far safer to use, but too heavy to carry far.

So its a Silky Saw for me when hunting and enjoying the woods. They will process all the dead wood required for a fire and all the poles to build a camp. Of course complimented with a small knife or even a big one like the Skrama.
IMGP7594.jpg

Then I have my truck tools for full on work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE