Axe vs Saw

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I only realy process wood for a little burner stove so stick with a handsaw and quite often a pair of pruners...

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
I think it all boils down to personal preference mate and all depends on what you reckon will be of more use

An axe will take a bit more upkeep but is more versatile in the jobs it is able to undertake

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Is it true that the runes on my saw will protect me from the giants ? :D

:)
Runes were used by the Giants!
Not only did they civilize Ireland and Britain, but parts of France too.
Plus they founded Russia as you surely know!

The Norse were the last truly free people in Europe, before they too succumbed to the notion of being ruled over by a king/ state.

Last edited:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Back on the subject. As I'm moving away from mountains and back to bushcrafting I had a look through my kit. Turns out I use my axe 99% at work chopping palets and had it with me in the woods twice, at Bushmoot.
On the other hand my folding saw paired with my 6" knife goes with me every time, saw to take down and partition something dead standing, and knife to split it for kindling and a bit of carving. So I'm really considering getting rid of the axe all together and investing in to a Silky saw. I know axes always have been a staple of bushcrafting arsenal, but I'm really starting to follow Survival Russia guy on this when he said that in the past saws where not that great, but now they are superior to axes. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw-3PDFq_gA)

Of course there are things only axe can do, but for general bushcrafty things (not building a log cabin) what is your experience on a better combo? Axe and smaller knife? Saw and bigger knife? Or does one need all three to be a real bushcrafter :)

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
Lars is very entertaining and he does love his Silky saws. I just wish he'd been able to spend more time out using them this summer.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I'm an axe fanboy , I love my hultafors 26" classic felling axe , I carry it 99% of the time , I also always carry my bahco laplander the only time I go straight to the saw is in winter when I am very hungry and want fire fast ! other then that I go outdoors to enjoy it and I find it very entertaining and a lot of fun and joy swinging my big axe and chopping wood, again I always carry a saw because when I need to cut small branches axe wont work. you said it good you need all three to be a real bushcraft , lol :lmao:
I agree that a knife and saw can do the job great but I still keep taking the axe everywhere , even in summer I leave my hultafors hatchet at home and take the big axe :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm an axe fanboy , I love my hultafors 26" classic felling axe , I carry it 99% of the time , I also always carry my bahco laplander the only time I go straight to the saw is in winter when I am very hungry and want fire fast ! other then that I go outdoors to enjoy it and I find it very entertaining and a lot of fun and joy swinging my big axe and chopping wood, again I always carry a saw because when I need to cut small branches axe wont work. you said it good you need all three to be a real bushcraft , lol :lmao:I agree that a knife and saw can do the job great but I still keep taking the axe everywhere , even in summer I leave my hultafors hatchet at home and take the big axe :)
I only realized this thread was a year old part way through, quite funny to see the progression. I don't get out to the woods very often these days so when I do get out I tend to take everything just for the enjoyment of using it. We tend to go as a group and have the means to make a reasonably sized fire for cooking etc so we process quite a lot of wood as a result. The axe really is invaluable here as a result. If I'm perfectly honest it's the knife that gets the least use, we take the rolls and bacon and maybe a joint of meat to cook and that's all the knife gets used for. The complete lack of decent carving wood in the area is a bit of a pain. Ah well. All the best Andy

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Oh dear I feel severly provoked. As anyone who has followed my posts may know I am an SAK fanboy. The bestest saw I would not be without is the saw on my SAK farmer or the rucksack. The point is whether in terms of building a shelter whether you ever need to cut down anything that your SAK cannot manage, and it can manage a lot. It I were a pioneer hacking out the Hastings cut off I dare say I might not rely on the SAK but hey where did the hastings cutoff ever get anybody?

I'm a big SAK fan myself, and have been saved several times from being cold and damp by the saws on my various carries. I tried to be a minimalist one time on a hike, packing only a Vic Minichamp. Luckily for me, my son had his Vic Hiker, and we had a nice campfire going in no time. I love axes, but prefer a saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE