Axe Laws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Okay, I know where I stand regarding carrying a knife, but where does the law stand regarding carying a small hatchet on your belt?

It really is a tiny hatchet that I am carrying, the Gransfors Bruks Kubben Hatchet: Click here

I understand that if plod decides it's a dangerous weapon I'm knicked regardless of what I'm carrying, I just wondered if there were any specific laws to govern this?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I think Gerber or the like came up with a folding axe not too long ago. I'm sure it locked open though (not that I would want to trust it mind).

maybe that's a silly procrastination project for me sometime. a UK legal EDC axe :D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Just make the head pivot free rotating, so the act of swinging it forces the head into the "cutting position" ;) Or would that make it a flick axe? :eek:

But aye, law regarding axes is much the same as knives. You will doubtless find coppers more prejudiced against one than the other though; and you'll also probably find some who trust you more for having a knife, axe and saw or some who will just think "Blimey, he must be planning to kill a lot of people and saw up their remains!"

Pete

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not a good idea to carry it in public on your belt, why would you? The officer could also have you sectioned under the mental health act for paying £50 for a toffee hammer too;)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
It's a fixed blade so as far as the letter of the law goes, it's illegal.

No mate, ya got that wrong. They are not illegal. There is no law that mentions axes specifically, and fixed blade knives are not illegal either. :)

Okay, I know where I stand regarding carrying a knife, but where does the law stand regarding carying a small hatchet on your belt?

With regard to axes, the main thing to remember is that most of our laws are based on perception. You could take a knife or axe and in one circumstance, it's legal and in another circumstance, it'll illegal. If you are carrying a knife at your allotment to cut your cabbages, it's legal, if you are carrying a knife at your allotment to attack the guy with the massive runner beans, it's illegal. It's context and intent that determines legality and that's down to judgement. In the first instance, it's usually a copper who makes that judgement. If you are carrying an axe in the woods while collecting firewood in a benign and harmless manner, I would think that any copper would have no reason to be concerned in any way because you are not breaking any laws. But if you are running naked down the high street at 3am swinging it over your head, you'll have an armed response unit covering you in little red dots in no time, because your behaviour is against the law.

Axes, by their nature are more powerful and intimidating when used as a weapon, than a knife. It's understandable that in some circumstances, carrying an axe might cause eyebrows to raise before carrying a knife would. If you are sensitive to that and moderate your behaviour accordingly, and you have a reasonable reason for having one about you in the first place, you should have no problems carrying an axe of any size - in fact in some circumstances a really big axe might be more acceptable than an itty-bitty one. There are other things that affect perception as well as context and behaviour, such as appearance, age, police history etc. :)

It's all about the context. Use your judgement.

...so where were you thinking of carrying the axe on your belt? The woods at the back of your house, or when popping into Tesco's for a case of stella? ;)

Last edited:

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I use a hatchet on-and-off for work, it's a pain having to go up to the office to pick up and drop off my axe, so I usually end up making-do with my knife, which isn't ideal. This little beastie would probably do the job nicely, and sit happily on my belt without being in the way.

I have no intentions of wearing it out in public, it's just that the question sprang to mind and I realised I didn't have a concise answer for it. I'm often asked about blade law in my job, so it's good to know.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I use a hatchet on-and-off for work, it's a pain having to go up to the office to pick up and drop off my axe, so I usually end up making-do with my knife, which isn't ideal. This little beastie would probably do the job nicely, and sit happily on my belt without being in the way.

I have no intentions of wearing it out in public, it's just that the question sprang to mind and I realised I didn't have a concise answer for it. I'm often asked about blade law in my job, so it's good to know.

The law just says "bladed or sharply pointed object" - that means knife, axe or whatever. It also cites "for use at work" as a specific example of a good reason to have such an article about your person. Providing you are not being daft with it, you are not breaking any laws by carrying it on your belt while at work. Be aware though, somone only needs to feel intimidated by it, for the possibility of offensive weapons laws to get invoked. If anybody at all objects to it, then you might end up answering questions at the nick.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE