Carrying an axe in the UK - In sight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Many years ago I carried my machete on the side of my Bergman between the side pouch and the rucksack. The handle was visible, but meant I could easily reach it if I needed to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What?! Are there such persons for real? I would not dream of touching another person pack without permission.
There are such around but usually they grow up. As young scouts we went on a camp near Ambleside, we were the younger scouts. Still, part way through the camp we got walked to Ambleside and let loose in small groups (like wild animal packs) with the money left with the leaders by our parents. Our group like pretty much all the groups went knife hunting. Back at the camp we played "see who could throw a knife nearest the other kids nether regions" while sat in a nice clearing just out of sight of camp.

As I said, most people like that grow up, like we all did by be the next camp, but the there's always the odd person with some form of what I suppose is a hidden disability. Someone for whom boundaries are kind of missing. I knew a very nice guy once who had a complete lack of I suppose you'd call it inhibitions. He was crazy! Actually two such people. One at school was looking into a park pond in school break when he decided to fall in completely flat. So he put his arms around the lads either side of him and toppled forward. One got away but the other ended up under the water with this guy. Asked why he simply thought it in would be fun. Asked if it was he said no because he's wet through. Lack of consequences in his mind? He ended up joining the army at 16 and became what I think was called a sapper working on explosives!!! Not bad for a guy who also got suspended for a week for letting of home-made explosive devices inside ancient, dry oak lockers in the basement of school.

Seriously, as kids it's common to see some kids getting into things that shouldn't. Some just don't grow up with the inhibitions that stop it as adults. There often fun to be around but you have to watch out too.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're all different in here and it shows with replies on this thread. Hide it or not views. I'm always of the opinion that sharps need to be put away when not needed, however that should be somewhere you can easily reach it when needed for a job.

I'm kind of obsessive with my rucksack packing. Everything has its place. I'm so obsessive that I could tell someone where to find something of mine such that they'd go straight to it in my pack. Kind of precise like main compartment, to the be front 3/4 down to the left in a bit as your looking at the front of the sack ( front of sack has always been the opposite side to the harness in my mind BTW). One hand down the front of the sack without looking and you have it. That's why I'm my case inside the pack isn't much slower to reach than strapped to the outside. With the added benefit of not being obvious.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was a work colleague in his 30s in my case.
Just popped in work (IT stuff) for a hour on weekend as it was on the way to a hedge had to finish laying. Left pack in cubicle for minute...
Fortunately no one else saw him do it other than me, so were no repercussions, but they could have been quite severe.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was a spell of thefts at my old company a while ago, not the same thing but related in their cheek. Apparently somebody from outside the company had the barefaced front to walk into the be offices and rifle through drawers. One manager had his own office and the guy went in, shut the door and went through everywhere. Let the car keys but took the wallet. They knew the working hours and it was half hour before early Friday finish. Before the manager realised they'd racked up quite a spend on the cards. Before chip and pin. IIRC they signed a paper slip with something close to the signature. Back then if payment didn't work properly you could do the paper signature option.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE