Axe just finished, lots of pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Well I found a manky axe in the local woods a week or so ago and I thought id clean it up and re-handle it, I'm not that familiar with axes I've been using my Martindale golok for any chopping so this is the first time I've re-handled one and I'm quite pleased with the result it feels great, I'm going camping for a few nights in a few days so ill try it out then.

First of all I knocked out the old handle and took the mushrooming off the back of the blade with a file then I left it in paint stripper over night to remove the remaining paint the soaked it in vinegar the next night to remove all the rust which there was a lot of, then started working on the edge, first I created a V grind so I could get it symetrical then I convexed the shoulders, I then got a piece of wood with some foam mattress stook to it pinned some sand paper to it and just went through the grits up to 2500 it now pops hairs very easily.

The handle arrived this morning which is a 24" hickory ebay special, it was a bit rough but it cleaned up well with sandpaper but it was absoultely solid it took me ages to shape it to fit the head, I finaly finished the handle with some dutch oil.

This is how it used to look:

Now it looks like this:

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
fantastic referb all i get is no name axe heads and there few and far between regards dave

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice job, great axe I have the 2 3/4 bigger brother to it so much better than cheap improted junk too

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
Looks like a cracking refurb. Any before pics?

Orric

Yep there's a few at the top of the page they disappeared temporarily for some reason.

I took the axe out yesterday for a tester it goes through 1.5" sticks easily with one chop I also set upon a large dead silver birch stump about a foot wide the wood was really hard to but I soon had it down, it seems to hold a really good edge after that too, I like it :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE