Axe advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 5, 2021
Crewe, Cheshire
Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well. First post here.

I have a query about an axe I've recently bought from an online retailer. I'm no expert as this is my first one but having closely looked at it (as I was about to give it a bit of boiled linseed), I noticed that the profile of the axe isn't symmetrical on both sides which makes the spine off centre and the bevel heavily favours one side. Also, the shoulders are different profiles, one is rounded, the other has a sharper edge.

I wanted to see what the communities thoughts are on how much it will affect quality / durability before making a decision on whether to return it and so any knowledge / experience of whether this is perfectly normal or if it's a serious QC issue from the manufacturer would be welcome.

My own thoughts and from looking at similar axes from the usual suspects, tend to show perfectly symmetrical heads, but this could well just be the best pick of the bunches for photographing purposes and they may suffer the same issues.

I've tried to attach some photos which will hopefully show what I'm talking about. They are incoming.

Many thanks all

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well. First post here.

I have a query about an axe I've recently bought from an online retailer. I'm no expert as this is my first one but having closely looked at it (as I was about to give it a bit of boiled linseed), I noticed that the profile of the axe isn't symmetrical on both sides which makes the spine off centre and the bevel heavily favours one side. Also, the shoulders are different profiles, one is rounded, the other has a sharper edge.

I wanted to see what the communities thoughts are on how much it will affect quality / durability before making a decision on whether to return it and so any knowledge / experience of whether this is perfectly normal or if it's a serious QC issue from the manufacturer would be welcome.

My own thoughts and from looking at similar axes from the usual suspects, tend to show perfectly symmetrical heads, but this could well just be the best pick of the bunches for photographing purposes and they may suffer the same issues.

I've tried to attach some photos which will hopefully show what I'm talking about. They are incoming.

Many thanks all

I cant see any photos but haveing spent the last 2 weeks looking at every axe on the market
ive seen this same post elsewhere about a axe with pictures so i think i understand what your saying.
its sounds like there is allsort of wrong with this axe.
it will probably still work for years and be fine
you could spend a few hours regounding the axe and getting it to a point where you are happy with it.
however personally consideing you can get a fiskars or simler for like 30bucks that will be bang on i wouldnt be happy and would return it.
they may offer to send a replacement.
but you could face the same issues again.
can i ask what axe it is

Reactions: Perchy85

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
There are asymmetrical axes but they tend to be for carpentry and should be described as such. If your axe is supposed to be symmetrical but isn't then obviously it's just poorly made.

Jul 5, 2021
Crewe, Cheshire
I cant see any photos but haveing spent the last 2 weeks looking at every axe on the market
ive seen this same post elsewhere about a axe with pictures so i think i understand what your saying.
its sounds like there is allsort of wrong with this axe.
it will probably still work for years and be fine
you could spend a few hours regounding the axe and getting it to a point where you are happy with it.
however personally consideing you can get a fiskars or simler for like 30bucks that will be bang on i wouldnt be happy and would return it.
they may offer to send a replacement.
but you could face the same issues again.
can i ask what axe it is
Thanks Windz, hopefully some pictures in my post below.

To be fair to the manufacturer, I'll hold off saying who it is until I get their response to my return. So far they've just told me that they've sold plenty and nobody else has raised any issues...

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
Thanks Windz, hopefully some pictures in my post below.

To be fair to the manufacturer, I'll hold off saying who it is until I get their response to my return. So far they've just told me that they've sold plenty and nobody else has raised any issues...
That's fair enough
Looking at your pictures the head itself looks okay just looks like something
Maybe a bit of time regrinding will fix

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It depends on how much you've paid for it, but, it look like a perfectly useable axe to me - after a little bit of careful 'fettling'. It also depends on what you want the axe for - if it's to 'look at' you'll probably never be satisfied with it; if it's to prepare fuel for a camp fire I suspect it will do the job as well as any similar weight/shape axe.

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
It depends on how much you've paid for it, but, it look like a perfectly useable axe to me - after a little bit of careful 'fettling'. It also depends on what you want the axe for - if it's to 'look at' you'll probably never be satisfied with it; if it's to prepare fuel for a camp fire I suspect it will do the job as well as any similar weight/shape axe.
That's a good point if it was say around the 30quid mark and to be used for camp fires ect.
I wouldn't be to worried
However personally if I has dropped say 70/80quid on it I would be unhappy

Jul 5, 2021
Crewe, Cheshire
So I paid £80 for it and I think it's going back for an exchange - it's the companies first foray into Axe making and on the face of it, it's a cracking deal compared to the Swedish alternatives so hopefully they've just missed the mark on this one and the rest of the production run hasn't suffered the same issues.

I do intend to use it but being quite particular, if it isn't right I don't want to make do, especially at that price point.

I'll update if the next one is the same and potentially name the manufacturer to make others aware before buying.

Thanks for your replies all

windz1000r

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2021
derbyshire
So I paid £80 for it and I think it's going back for an exchange - it's the companies first foray into Axe making and on the face of it, it's a cracking deal compared to the Swedish alternatives so hopefully they've just missed the mark on this one and the rest of the production run hasn't suffered the same issues.

I do intend to use it but being quite particular, if it isn't right I don't want to make do, especially at that price point.

I'll update if the next one is the same and potentially name the manufacturer to make others aware before buying.

Thanks for your replies all
Yes at 80 I would expect better.
I've just purchased a hultafors hultan for 88 delivered and it was just about perfect

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I remember paying around 80 quid for my gransfors small forest axe :( recently looked for another and found they have increased a lot over the years.

I picked up a hultafors ågelsjön, I think no more than 80 was paid a few months back and the profile wasn't perfect, but nothing a stone and half hour didn't fix.

Personally I would get a decent mill file, axe stone and see if it can be corrected, but the pictures from what I can see don't show it that bad.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Looking at the photos you sent, it looks like a fine axe to me. Just as has already been mentioned it might just want some fettling, but you’re not going to get a hand forged axe that’s perfect and that’s all part of the quirks of having something hand forged imo.

I say swing it and ding it. It’s the only way to find out how good an axe really is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE