Avoiding ticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Thanks for all your comments.

I had to spend a load of vouchers before 31 May, so went into a sport shop for a helmet (for my two year old daughter when she's on the back of my bike). Surprise! Special offer on tents!

I got a three-man dome tent for 50 Euros. Took it to a friend's house a couple of weekends ago, and tried to put it up. A proverbial piece of urine, it was! Even with the help of a small child, it took less than ten minutes.

Dome, two carbon fibre segmented flexible poles, inner with groundsheet, outer with porch. All packs down to around 50cm × 20cm, though I reckon I could halve that using a compression sack.

Keith.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ed said:
I've got a little plastic tool from the vet thats used to remove ticks, a tip that was on here some time ago. Haven't had to use it yet though. :)

Ed
Use these little tools on the dogs--very effective.

One thing to remember is to twist the little b*stards to make them let go. :twisted:
Leaving the fangs in can lead to a nasty localised infection :cry:

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Andy said:
has anyone else ever had a tick get in their head?

I can say I've had ticks just about everywhere you can get a tick. I hate them worse than mosquitos. :wink:

I saw a documentary the other night that said ticks actually hone in on carbon monoxide being exhaled. Not too much you can do about that though. :-x It also said that it's a myth that they fall from foliage onto their unsuspecting victim. The only thing that's worked for me is tucking in clothing so that they don't get to more tender spots, wearing a hat, and doing a tick check at least once a day. :arrow:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE