Average age and background.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
im 20 and got a real budding interest in bushcraft since doing my countryside management degree. went tae my first meet when i was 17 haha boy was i shy! but now i find alot of bushcrafters are just big kids when you get them round a fire :lmao:

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
Nearly 30 now, work in IT but get a bit burnt out with it so spend as much time as I can outdoors. My idea of a holiday is packing up the tent, pitching up somewhere quiet and remote to spend a few days walking.

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
Pretty much the same as DanBow, loved camping as a kid/teen, then got a job, rented a flat, and now have kids, so trying to get back into it, with my kids and found I like the alone time.

I know what you mean about alone time. I've found that it doesn't take much, a couple of hours maybe but it brings my stress levels right down.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here's my check list for the typical bushcrafter, you don't need to tick them all mind.

Likes Ray.
Likes/HATES (grrrr) Bear.
Likes fire (everyone should tick this).
Likes knives (as above).
Plays at World of Warcraft, larping or airsoft.
Ex-forces.
Tubby.
Weasely.
Beard.
Middle-aged.
Confused about further education choices.
Slightly autistic (self-diagnosed online).
Wears crocs.
Hates job.
Lives in suburbia.
Friends don't understand you.

I managed to tick 9.
Only 7 for me!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I like Ray, I like Bear, I like knives and fire. Weasely, beardy, don't know whether to further my education, hate my job and my dumb friends as much as I love them have dubbed me the wild man of Borneo!

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Here's my check list for the typical bushcrafter, you don't need to tick them all mind.

Likes Ray.
Likes/HATES (grrrr) Bear.
Likes fire (everyone should tick this).
Likes knives (as above).
Plays at World of Warcraft, larping or airsoft.
Ex-forces.
Tubby.
Weasely.
Beard.
Middle-aged.
Confused about further education choices.
Slightly autistic (self-diagnosed online).
Wears crocs.
Hates job.
Lives in suburbia.
Friends don't understand you.

I managed to tick 9.

Damn, I hit 10 of those!

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
im 20 and i hate bushcraft, im only here because im actualy addicted to lime dancing and bushcraft is a far more believable lifestyle to my family and freinds as i dress like a tramp.

my background has always been fairly outdoorsy, somehow i have been programed to be fascinated with natural science, fire, shooting, knives, art and badgers, i feel bushcraft combines these aspects all perfectly.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Before you all attack me with your pitchforks . . . can someone please tell me what is meant by 'ray'? I don't even know the bloke so how can I make a decision on whether I like him or not?

Jason

Ray mears is the one you seek, type his name into youtube and you should find hundreds of clips of him being a pure forest ninja.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I can manage 9 (though it's love/hate with the job and if weasely can mean thin then it's 10).

I'm 41. Can't remember when it all started but at 9 we moved to the country which by good fortune had a river and 4 acres of wild wood next door. Had Lofty Wiseman's book at 15 and read Survival Weaponry and Techniques around that period. Then beer, rock music and cars got in the way. About 2 years ago we started watching Ray Mears. We'd done some camping but it was campsite stuff in Wiltshire. When the town car packed in we made a conscious choice to get something big we could get out of the city in and the 2nd weekend after that looking for an out of London destination we accidentally ended up at the Wilderness Gathering without actually knowing what it was. Still getting up to speed on all things (too much book knowledge and not enough real knowledge.

If anything the kids have brought me back to it rather than taking me a way from it.

IT by career. Anything that can get me a way from these infernal machines is great....... Hey wait a minute....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE