Autumn/winter Beer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
rowan berries can be used as a bittering agent in beer, they're still on the bush up here.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
There are recipes for Burdock beer, Dandelion and Burdock beer (both roots) and Blackberry ale in Roger Philips Wild food. Add to that Heather ale (the flowers) in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls A cook on the wild side.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
So you're after natural sugars to ferment? You mention potato wine but the recipes I have for that use sugar and the blackberry ale recipe mentioned is based on barley malt.

Natural sugars that spring to mind would be apple juice, honey and even sugar beets if you can get hold of some. However, I'm not sure I fancy hopped cider or mead.

I make a fair bit of beer, just harvested enough hops for about 100 pints, and if you buy malt in reasonable quantities then it works out about 15p a pint, which isn't bad IMHO.

You could try growing your own barley and malting it yourself in future.

www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk

Brewing forum. I know several of us on here are all grain brewers and have at various stages frequented it.

In short, birch sap can be used to make beer, and there's no reason you couldn't bitter it with rowan, nettles, or various other bushcrafty things.

You can liberate sugars from potato mash, but you need an enzyme to do the work. You can't generally buy the enzymes in sufficient quantities to do good.

Other than birch sap, i can't think of anything else you could easily use to make decent beer. Make sure you get some nice brewer's yeast though, don't be tempted to use baker's yeast!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If it's not made from malted grains, it not beer. I dunno what it should be called, but it's not beer.

If you're using green malt to convert the starch in potatoes, you're half-way to making potcheen. Malting your own grain is one thing, but kilning that malt for brewing beer is a very tricky business indeed, and not really something that can be done in a domestic setting.

Hie thee to a maltsters, or your local homebrew shop. It's not like malt is particularly expensive - mine works out about a pound a kilo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE