ASHAMED !! No BLOODY ANNOYED TOO !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
For my tuppence worth, be proud to be wearing the badge but, to further our cause, make sure that you are seen wearing it and seen to be tidying up other peoples' mess, especially by the site owner.

Geoff

You're right of course Geoff. After Spike and myself broke camp we did clear up our own and some other folks mess and left our little glade in good order for the next folks. I can't wait to go again despite what we saw this time. It's a great place, Ian is a great bloke and its rare you find a site these days that isn't festooned with prohibition signs...No running, No laughing, No playing, Anyone found enjoying themselves will be asked to leave site etc etc.. Ian has an almost pagan approach to his site management "If it harms none, Do as you will" which is really refreshing:D

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
You're right of course Geoff. After Spike and myself broke camp we did clear up our own and some other folks mess and left our little glade in good order for the next folks. I can't wait to go again despite what we saw this time. It's a great place, Ian is a great bloke and its rare you find a site these days that isn't festooned with prohibition signs...No running, No laughing, No playing, Anyone found enjoying themselves will be asked to leave site etc etc.. Ian has an almost pagan approach to his site management "If it harms none, Do as you will" which is really refreshing:D

I hope my previous posting didn't come across as 'lecturing' people - it certainly wasn't intended that way. :eek: I just find that I personally tend to just get on and do things (like maddave tidying up) and not telling anyone, so I don't get the credit. I'm not generally looking for credit for what I do, but when we are trying to build up the reputation of Bushcrafters as caring, considerate folk, I think it is important sometimes to fly our own flag and make sure that people see it.

Geoff

Well you reap what you sow.

We raise generations of people who think that the world owes them a living,that no one can tell them what to do or punish them when they break the rules.

We fill their heads at school with diversity lectures and the teachers own left wing political opinions,sell off the sports pitches so that they can build 'affordable housing' (if your wealthy) or another Tesco's and then start crying when the countryside resembles a landfill site.

Why isn't there this mess in Sweden or Canada when you go camping?

Why?..because they teach them the difference between right and wrong and ostracize those that break this law.

If we just carry on burying our heads in the sand then we have only ourselves to blame.

Failing that get prisoners to clean it up as part of their rehabilitation.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
Having picked up in my local dog walking wood, it is disheartening to find that week after week what was cleared has been replaced. At times I will admit to giving in and not doing it and it doesn't seem to make any difference to the amount of litter.

mate don't get down hearted, if you only pick up one can it makes a differance, when i take the dogs now i actually chalenge myself to see how many differant cans of lager i can find :D , don't think of it that your picking up someone else's rubbish, those cretins will always be about to throw more, instead think how much nicer you are making the wood for yourself to enjoy without half a crate of stella spoiling the view. ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Went for a short walk with Abigail earlier, she is nearly three years old and loves nothing more than going up the woods with Daddy and seeing the woodpeckers, walking stick in her mitt and hat on head she'll walk all the way there by herself. Normally i get to carry her back! :rolleyes:

Todays' walk was ruined as she found the dog mess under the leafs as she was kicking them, as all children do. A great big dollop of ginger poo right on the end of her shoe. Before I knew what was going on, she's tried to wipe it off with her bare hand thinking it was mud. So then I had to take her down to the stream to wash her hands as best we could and make our way back whilst I constantly made sure she didn't put her fingers in her mouth.

I felt sick as can be, dog poo is by far the nastiest thing in the world to get on you, but I was also incensed by the fact that owners still let their dogs crap all over the place and don't pick it up. Can I smear it on their car windows, as it belongs to them? I'm gonna have to look into that!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well you reap what you sow.

We raise generations of people who think that the world owes them a living,that no one can tell them what to do or punish them when they break the rules.

We fill their heads at school with diversity lectures and the teachers own left wing political opinions,sell off the sports pitches so that they can build 'affordable housing' (if your wealthy) or another Tesco's and then start crying when the countryside resembles a landfill site.

Why isn't there this mess in Sweden or Canada when you go camping?

Why?..because they teach them the difference between right and wrong and ostracize those that break this law.

If we just carry on burying our heads in the sand then we have only ourselves to blame.

Failing that get prisoners to clean it up as part of their rehabilitation.

Not a better word said!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've spoken to Ian this week gone, so knew about the mess left by 'BCUK' members, its unbelievable.

Luckily I have known Ian for sometime from the various trips there in 2007, and bar one incident at Greg's trip (from a mate of mine who knew no better then), he is happy how I and my camp mates leave the site.

Ian is a top man, lets us do what we want within reason, and has started new drain channels to try and dry out the camp areas. The man is spending time and money for our benefit and for this Scheiße to happen makes my blood boil:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

If the mono sexuals who did this damage read this, I hope they have many a bad nights sleep and leave this forum:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Personally i think they should be named and shamed and banned from posting on here anymore.

Called themselves friends of nature!! BAH!

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: Would you leave crud like that in your own garden? No!!! Then don't do it where we are welcome.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Is it known that whoever was responsible are actually members here or is it the case that they were purportedly 'into bushcraft'?

Surely after being a member here for more than 5 minutes one is bound to be at least aware of the minimum impact/trace ethos of bushcraft?

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Maddave

Agree with everything that has been said, spotted the empty iodine bottle lets hope one of the little tinkers has an unpleasant memory of its visit.

Regarding rubbish a friend once found a mini engine block whilst combining, to late, huge expense.

I like the idea of stocks, they could be used for shoplifters, people parking on double yellows, litter louts and pykies in general.

More seriously does your man keep a record of visitors if so could names be cross referenced against the membership list.

Pothunter.

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Sadly I find this a lot. It’s the same as (some) fishermen, they call themselves fishermen and yet the amount of crap they leave behind is truly amazing, burnt tents, bags (and I mean bags) of rubbish, old tins, clothing, chairs to name a few.

Anyone who leaves any form of a trace should be ashamed to even utter the word “bushcraft”.

Kris

Teej84

Nov 13, 2007
Solihull
www.thomasjupe.com
Not wanting to knock anyone off their pedestal but last time asked someone to pick up some litter I ended up with a black eye. Just a tip ... Don't ask a 6'7'' brute to pick up his fish and chips paper on a friday night ... leave it to the police ... anywhere else not a problem just proceed with care!!!!! :D

Tj :eek:

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I have to admit it winds me up to boiling point how some people treat OUR countryside :cussing: and I have to admit in also resorting to violence to show people the error of their ways. I am a 6'5" ex military martial arts instructor so I can take care of myself a bit. I have been known to throw a litter lout in a very muddy stream on a campsite, to which I received a round of applaus from the other campers. I have to own up to tipping the contents of a dog waste bit in the drivers seat of a convertable car, whos owner let his dogs crap all over a campsite and when asked why he did not pick it up was told to P*** off. and for these sins I am sorry. But it will not stop me speaking directly to anyone I see dumping their crap in OUR beautiful outdoors, be it a street or wood.

I am a dog owner and have never left any dog mess that my dog produced. Bag It Bin It. I have even given poo bags to another owner when they used "No Bags" as an excusse.
If Ian does know who the people concerned were please can he ban them from the site.
With regards the guy who received the black eye, I am sorry for that happening to you mate, there are some violent people out ther, but they turn into instant cowards when the person they hit or try to is sat on top of them asking what they thought they would achieve.

One method (peaceful) I have used to great effect on a site, is rise early in the morning proceed to the drunken yobs tent with bin bag and clear all the rubbish away as noisely as you can whilst whisteling or singing the theme from the wombles. when done usualy one has stuck his head out blury eyed to see what is going on, just tell him, this is your rubbish bag I will leave it tied to your guy rope for you to either use again tonight or throw away before you leave. Smile and walk away.
:D
PS I am calmind down in my later years but I can still be persuasive when needed.

Teej84

Nov 13, 2007
Solihull
www.thomasjupe.com
I have to own up to tipping the contents of a dog waste bit in the drivers seat of a convertable car, whos owner let his dogs crap all over a campsite and when asked why he did not pick it up was told to P*** off.

Inspired and an absolutely beautiful story. If anyone else has some humorous ways of teaching people lessons that don't involve receiving a black eye I would be most appreciative.

I learned my lesson at a young age on a scout camp where I was pulled out of bed at 3 am with my patrol and told to tidy up our camp (including re-lighting a fire and boiling water to redo dishes!). It was a cold night and we all learned how to keep our camp tidy after that and even now I can't sleep if I have left a mess outside!

TJ

sheepdogbob

Sep 14, 2007
I agree with the above; where I live in Cornwall, the litter arrives with the (mental-y) townies in the tourist routes/areas. The (mental-y) country people tend to pick up after them - with much complaining! It all ties in with the throwaway society - with vacuum flasks & tin sandwitch boxes, you took everything home as you could'nt replace them easily.
BUT - I don't include the "big stuff" left in a layby, as this usually becouse Kerrier D.C. can't organise a pick up from anywhere outside of a town (Or so it seems)!

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
word of warning i was out on an normal bimble the other week with the dogs, bent down picked up some cans (well away from the beaten track). luckily for me the dogs put up a pheasant because i wasn't alert bent down and were my hand would have just bludgend down was a used needle could have been a worrying time. Lesson learnt turn over said rubbish with my stick and be switched on now!!!!. Not stopped me clearing up just to be blxxdy vigilent.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I visited Glyn-y-Mul farm this summer just gone, just before the Summer Bushmoot for 3 or 4 days. I believe it was the worst weather Ian had seen the entire time he's been there, it was the constant torrential rain and flooding. However, it is a lovely site with a lovely owner, I only hope he's not put off at letting people camp in his woods now.

Love your litter stories 'In Wood'. And welcome to the community sheepdogbob from a fellow Cornishman.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE