ASHAMED !! No BLOODY ANNOYED TOO !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
L

lukeuk2

i cant believe they left it like that, Ian has welcomed all bushcraft to the woodland to to leave it like that is terrible. i have been to this site many times and i hope this type of behavior doesn't stop us from going again. thats my rant for now.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I've seen it all over the years. I have a state-stocked trout stream through the farm, and public fishing is allowed. Plus there is state owned land on either side. Well, "public fishing allowed" tends to mean public ANYTHING is allowed!

The key attitude too often is: It doesn't belong to them, so they don't have to be concerned about it! I've seen too many people who watched the movie A River Runs Through It, went out and bought all the gear to become a Trout Fisherman, and then drop their trash wherever they go without a thought about it - and even occasionally cut a fence because it's in their way! So much for being good ... sportsmen/fishermen!

A new neighbor of mine has a similar attitude. He's from a big city and bought the 40 acres east of me - to "preserve" it from those evil greedy farms exploiting the land! He treats HIS 40 acres like his back yard in town. NOBODY is ever allowed to step foot in it without his expressed permission. But he as no reservations about walking all over everybody elses land all around HIS place - without ever asking anybody's permission.

Too many people feel no connection nor responsibility to land that is not theirs or one of their friends. That lack of personal responsibility for their actions translates as anything goes. And then somebody else ends up having to "clean up" their mess after them.

They are out there to be ... entertained ... by nature - just like going to a sports event or concert. It's viewed as a "playground" where they can do most anything they want. And, when at such a place, you always just drop your trash when you are there being "entertained", because other people are paid to clean up after you.

It's a bad attitude that has been cultivated for years. Everything outside of their own personal residence/property is seen as being there to either sell stuff to them, or to "entertain" them - because they see themselves as the center of the universe. Narcissism at its ugliest best!

Yeah, I've seen it all over the years. And this is MY HOME!

But there are good people out there. They just get drowned out by the useless dregs of humanity.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Just a quick head's up. Timinwales and myself spent this weekend up at Glyn-Y-Mul and found that the problem still exists! I turned up and found three different fire circles with half burnt 'dogs' in the fires, garden wire and bright orange nylon bailing twine EVERYWHERE. Discarded 'lifesystems' water purification bottles and broken glass littered the place along with plastic bags and food wrappers and someone had made a really nice bench and table from green hazel that looks like it had been cut down for the purpose. They had obviously spent a lot of time making them, but come on guy's, 'leave no trace' seem's to not apply to some people. Are there any other groups using this site? If it is down to BCUK members then you should hang your heads in shame. If this carries on, Ian's not going to let us use this site.

It was 'stair rods' this weekend with 70mph wind's and bleedin' freezing but we still managed to clean our campsite up and left no trace. How hard is it fella's? Bit rushed at the moment but i'll post pic's later. This is really annoying many of the members, including the South Wales group that regularly uses this site. If your not going to observe the ethics of Bushcraft, go camping or, better still, stay at home, camp in your own garden and enjoy your own mess.:cussing:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'm at work at ther moment and about an hour ago I went in the lift to go down to the bottom floor and found a polystyrene tray of half eaten curry and rice and 2 Costa coffee cups discarded on the floor of the lift. :confused: :( There is often rubbish left anywhere and everywhere in the hospital and toilets especially are treated with total disrespect. In the new building were I work the toilets are unisex. Hand towels strewn all over the floor, pee on the floor, toilet paper all over the show and toilet not even flushed for the next person to use. It's disgraceful some peoples attitude.
I've never been to Ian's site in fact this is the first I've heard of it on this thread it looks a great place and I may vist next year.
I hope the people who leave the mess change their ways. Even if you want a few beers and are a bit careless whilst getting rat faced and leave the cans by your chair before stumbling to bed, there's no excuse not to have an area sweep before you go home the next day and take all your waste with you. It's just simple common courtesy.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Did Ian actually say it was BCUK members?
I know when we were there, there was a group unaffilliated to us using the wood at the same time. And also when we first arrived the place was in a bit of a mess already with old empty beer cans, broken glass and old fire dogs lying around so its a bit harsh to automatically think it was one of the groups from this webite!

Lets just make sure that in future when we do go there or anywhere else for that matter to be on the ball and make sure we tidy up afterwards.
As for the green hazel being used to make a good bench as long as the hazel was coppiced properly I can't see what the problem is after all Ian told me we could chop it down if we wanted to as long as we didn't go over the top whilst doing so.
And a nice bench that has been left could be used by other people who frequent the place, after all it is a campsite!

Anyway thats my feelings on the matter, we aren't all going to agree with each other on everything but as long as we are respectful of the area and use good common sense we will know that we are not at fault, however if it was a member of this forum who was the careless idiot then they should be ashamed of themselves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE