"Ash" (Rowan) berries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Out tonight surveying the Elderberries in my local wood (preparation for a forage on the weekend which hopefully will result in a couple of bottles of Elderberry Gin.).

Has anyone found the elderberries a let down in their area this year?

Back to the topic: Rowan berries - the bright orange thingies - what are they good for other than jelly?

Recipes?

Cheers folks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I get rather nice dye from them :rolleyes:
Dried they add colour to pot pourri ;)
Stewed with a little sugar and vinegar they make a passable pickle :)
They fit my peashooter :eek:

:D

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. It's funny with the elders, the first flourish ones are really pathetic but the ones ripening up now are really full and juicy. I think it was all that really hot weather when they needed damp.
M

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
redcollective said:
Has anyone found the elderberries a let down in their area this year?

Cheers folks.
Yep..........Found loads that have just shriveled up, but there is still quite a good crop of them...........

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
collect when bright red and you can make an alright jam.

on a recent course i taught on, as a demonstration i made some rowan and bramble jam!

it was about:
1/3rd rowan (stalks removed and washed),
2/3 bramble,(otherwise it would be too sour)
couple of table spoon of sugar,
the punters loved it on bread! :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
picked in october when the berries of the mountain ash a ripe they can be made into a rather nice sauce for meat i'll look out the recepie when i get home

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Never mind the rowan, would you care to share your recipe for elder berry gin? I've only ever used sloes, cherries or plumbs.

Dave

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
MartiniDave said:
Never mind the rowan, would you care to share your recipe for elder berry gin? I've only ever used sloes, cherries or plumbs.

Dave

Purely experimental Dave - I've heard they need a bit more sugar than say, blackberries or redcurrants might, so I'm going to go with:
Half fill bottle/container with berries - several generous tablespoons of refined sugar, and top up the rest with gin. At three months I might try it to see if it's ready to decant through a screen to get rid of the fruit - it may require a little longer.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Plenty of pretty much every hedgerow crop around here, the sloes are everywhere, even bushes I havn't seen fruit on for a decade or more are covered this year.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Red,

Sounds like a good experiment. When I used cherries I had to leave them in the gin for about a year to get a good flavour. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE