Rowan berries and rose hips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
This weekend the plan is to go out and harvest some rowan berries to make into rowan jelly and rose hips to make rose hip syrup. Finding the rowan berries in a location we can harvest from has proven slightly difficult. They are planted as decorative trees all over our area but as they are for decoration its slightly frowned on to pull the lovely red berries off. :cool:

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
Yes its a great year for berries. We want about 1 kilo of each for our needs. The rose hips are no problem as there are plenty of wild roses in hedgerows in the countryside near us. The rowans however are mainly planted decorative trees in urban areas. I would prefer not to be foraging from urban trees lol.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I too have noticed quite a few of both on my local walks. Is there anything that can be done with both combined? Has anybody tried rose hip & rowan jelly or jam?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rowans mixed with apples make a lovely jelly.
Rosehips, if you can be careful and take out all the seeds and hairs (they irritate the gut) make a nice jam. I also dry the pieces to make teas later in the year.

Rosehips, with no innards left in, if boiled up with very little water, can be made into fruit leather wafers. They also work well with pears for that.
Rosehip jelly, as in table jelly, not jelly jam, was a seasonal treat when I was little :) I preferred it to the syrup. A dainty treat.

Rowans I like, but most folk find far too sour, and they get discouraged when recipes only use rowans. Mixed with apple it becomes like a home grown marmalade :D

M

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
Well we managed to get out On Saturday afternoon and foraged a kilo or so of rose hips. Yesterday we made them into 2 liters of rose hip syrup. Didn't get the rowans again despite finding plenty. Need another trip to Ikea for more kilner jars before we embark on more making and foraging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE