Ash dieback fungus found in UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Be afraid folks........

There is talk now of banning the public from woodlands in an attempt to try and stop the spread.

The back covering has also begun, with allegations from various people that the last government were warned about the biosecurity risks of large scale ash imports four years ago.

I am intensely aware of all the ash trees I see on my commute (which is probably hundreds), and almost view them as condemned men now...

:(

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Be afraid folks........

There is talk now of banning the public from woodlands in an attempt to try and stop the spread.

Ridiculous. I mean, if the suspicion is that people are inadvertently carrying spores around on their kit from infected sites to uninfected sites, aren't those same spores just as likely to be carried around by birds? How are they going to regulate the movement of wildlife? A cull?

I don't know of any cases around where I live, but will keep a look out. Who do we contact if we suspect /can positively identify an infected tree in our locality, Forestry Comission? EA? Land owner?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
After Dutch Elm disease how the hell come we didn't close down imports of ash? Its not as if we didn't have enough warning about it.
Jeez, this place is an island, should be a doddle to stop imports of infected trees.

Admittedly you can't stop migration of birds but lets have some sense here.

Stable, door, horse well gone anyone?

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've heard a nasty rumour that infected trees will not be allowed to be processed for firewood, they'll need to be destroyed or buried where they're felled. I'm going to be procative and fell my ash trees in the next few weeks. I'll plant some sycamore in their place. Now do I buy myself a 70cc chainsaw to process these 36" diameter trees or go for a bigger 90cc saw?

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
bang in a few copper nails !! That way the co2 off set you have saved from using your chainsaws should save you an ear bashing from the tree huggers :)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
bang in a few copper nails !! That way the co2 off set you have saved from using your chainsaws should save you an ear bashing from the tree huggers :)

They'll be ripping up the hedges for fuel with the rest of us once the oil runs out.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
I've heard a nasty rumour that infected trees will not be allowed to be processed for firewood, they'll need to be destroyed or buried where they're felled. I'm going to be procative and fell my ash trees in the next few weeks. I'll plant some sycamore in their place. Now do I buy myself a 70cc chainsaw to process these 36" diameter trees or go for a bigger 90cc saw?

Don't plant sycamore! Plant something native!

Sycamore does not need any help. It plants itself all over the place.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
After Dutch Elm disease how the hell come we didn't close down imports of ash? Its not as if we didn't have enough warning about it.
Jeez, this place is an island, should be a doddle to stop imports of infected trees.

Admittedly you can't stop migration of birds but lets have some sense here.

Stable, door, horse well gone anyone?

Yes, it is far too late to stop it now.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Trees actually thrive much more under our management than without, naturally they all compete against each other but in the end over crowd themselves until no trees can grow properly. This is especially true of slow growing trees that never stand a chance.

Rubbish. Complete and utter nonsense. Trees do not need human management of forests in order to thrive. They will do just fine and dandy all on their own.

How do you think the slow-growing trees coped before humans turned up? Why do you think there is natural yew forest in the UK?

I'm not saying its a good thing but it is natural (unlike the extinction of most animals which is directly or indirectly caused by humans) many trees live with fungi and many will slowly die its just that this strain of fungi is particularly effective at overcoming the trees defense systems. Once upon a time there were probably birch trees killed quickly by tinder fungus but now surviving trees infected last years.

The spread of infection may be faster but so will be the rate of recovery. That doesnt mean we shouldn't try to stop it, but it also means it is not an ecological catastrophe.

Provided other (native) trees are planted, or allowed to grow, in place of the dead ash trees then it will not be an ecological catastrophe. It will just be very bad news for species which depend on ash (such as morels.)

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
We contain animal pathogens, such as foot and mouth, or rabies, by quarantine. How do we quarantine trees though :dunno:

Brighton's elm trees were naturally quarantined by the lack of much elm in the areas of The Weald to the north. The beetles that spread the disease can't fly very far - certainly not as far as fungal spores can travel. Any sign of infection and elm trees are felled the next day. But a combination of "natural quarantine" and vigilance has meant that Brighton still has the biggest collection of healthy elm trees anywhere in western Europe. Not that the locals appreciate this, of course...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK

They may not even be felled.

The FC chap overseeing the infected site near me was on the radio saying that the felling may actually disperse the spores even further and faster.

Whether you're being provocative or not; if you have the land and space then plant anything other than sycamore!

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
That is very useful, thank you.

No problem :)

We are dealing with an increased volume of calls from concerned members of the public. The whole pubilc release of this is really badly timed though given that the prime symptom is leaf loss and we are now very much into autumn here with leaves falling heavily! When I first posted about this in this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97129 we were already on the look-out and it would have been easier to spot. Thankfully no signs yet here.

Email has just been circulated at work contains following statement about firewood etc :

"The ban is on import and movement of ash plants, seeds and trees. Timber and firewood are exempt, except where they come from places where infection has been found (in the wild, just two woods so far, one in Norfolk, one in Suffolk)."

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Do wonder what impact it'll have. And people/places like Morris of Dunsford that use Dartmoor ash for their tool (billhook etc) handles. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE