Make your own gammon and ham

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm increasingly resistant to eating supermarket meat. An article on the BBC about supermarket broiler chickens sadly didn't surprise me this week

Ross Cobbs (the standard meat chicken) grow to killing weight in 6 weeks flat. Ours take 26 weeks to reach maturity on grass.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I could post similar links to pork rearing but, at the back of their minds, I think most people know what happens in factory farms. In many ways the farmers aren't to blame. Supermarkets demand cheap meat from producers. They do this because customers demand cheap meat.

The really annoying thing is you CAN get really high welfare, excellent quality meat for a reasonable price. You just can't get it from supermarkets.

We cut out the supermarkets and buy direct from the farmer. If you want fantastic pork for decent prices, this is who we use.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Martha raises the best pork ever. We do our part by turning pork belly & loin into streaky & back bacon. It's unbelievably easy and produces incredible dry cured bacon that's so much better than that shop bought (happy to post links to the process). We've decided now to produce our own ham and gammon as well - it's better, cheaper & higher welfare than anything we can find in the shops. This is how we do it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE