Dartmoor - That’s better!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Don't know how to link, but, Kerr Rawdon has just put up a yt about this, it's still not completely over. So keep an eye on this.
The Totnes mp, is still trying to stop wild camping and get his money donating buddy's origional intentions enshrined into law.

Reactions: gibson 175

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Great news even if it's still not over. Hopefully people will sort their lives out, camp safely mindful of other land users.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Certainly a more popular legal decision than the last one. I have my doubts that the Darwalls will be given leave to appeal unless they can introduce new evidence to support their position.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Posted on another forum, and without getting political, I’m not sure whether it’s worth taking seriously.

Without wishing to get political, is there a band wagon they've not jumped on? Although they've fallen off quite a few already.

But would this not harm responsible wild campers? Would some relatively unspoilt areas simply be swamped by people damaging the area and leaving waste?

I keep seeing complaints about the rubbish left in Scotland and England's wild places would have far more people camping. What would be done to enforce 'responsible access' and who would pay to clean up?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Probably something along the lines of stopping treating people like children, people like us leading by example, actions speaking rather than intention, and less governing authority and ‘enforcement’.

Your post is telling in that you class yourself as a responsible camper and thus want exclusivity. That’s how all this started.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
No, I wouldn't class myself as a camper so don't want exclusivity - that was a genuine question.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I think this attitude supports their position don't you.?
My apologies if you think my attitude is irresponsible on a public forum.
There are a significant number of irresponsible campers in this country, sadly. None I think, on this forum

It was a joke, poking fun at some of the language used in the trial, and my frustration of wealthy people wanting to remove rights and freedoms of ordinary people, and "pull up their drawbridge", which only further increases division. Therefore in the spirit of direct action, I would like to, in return, irritate them (but I won't, the courts will hopefully do that for us).

Childish perhaps, but it was a joke.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My apologies if you think my attitude is irresponsible on a public forum.
There are a significant number of irresponsible campers in this country, sadly. None I think, on this forum

It was a joke, poking fun at some of the language used in the trial, and my frustration of wealthy people wanting to remove rights and freedoms of ordinary people, and "pull up their drawbridge", which only further increases division. Therefore in the spirit of direct action, I would like to, in return, irritate them (but I won't, the courts will hopefully do that for us).

Childish perhaps, but it was a joke.

I took it as a joke. I think it was pretty obvious myself. But then I'm a happy person generally and like humour. We don't have to be serious all the time.
True, some jokes are bad taste, but this wasn't one of them.
Bring your inflatable goal posts, pick me up on your way down to dartmoor, and we'll pop them up in sight of Darrell bedroom window, I'll hang my hammock up from them and we'll be fine...After all, they only mention tents. ;)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
So you're all going to turn up with your inflatable toys and make a nuisance of yourselves in front of Darrell bedroom window then.

Not very big and not very clever really is it but unfortunately it's what us grown ups have come to expect from the protesting, entitled minority

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Considering both of them said very clearly it is a joke and they're not actually planning on doing those things, your reply is baffling.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
they SAY they are joking but I don't believe them, they've been pulled for their comments and are now trying to backtrack so they don't look so entitled on a reasonabley conservative forum

Gottcha boys and girls. :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
So you're all going to turn up with your inflatable toys and make a nuisance of yourselves in front of Darrell bedroom window then.

Not very big and not very clever really is it but unfortunately it's what us grown ups have come to expect from the protesting, entitled minority

Are you trying to be humorous now?
Of course we were joking... its called a sense of humour!
Lighten up for goodness sake!
I actualy used to be a volenteer Ranger on dartmoor in the 1980s, so I'm aware of the littering, fire lighting etc that has been going on for so many years. It's a problem everywhere. I live on exmoor, and regularly see visitors litter, plastic, dog poo bags hung on branches...the list goes on.
What is needed is education on how to behave , not banning legitimate activity.
I had a fire on Sunday to brew a cuppa , but I'm educated enough to do it in a sensible place and leave no trace whatsoever.
I don't normaly have a fire, but it was a very tiny twig fire, on bare ground next to a river. There is no trace of it now whatsoever .
Last year, with the heatwave we had, it was a gas or meths stove for a brew.
I'm a sensible person who is happy to explain what I'm doing to any passers by, if I encounter them, and show how I do things. I've never had a negative reaction. They often say they wish they could do things like me. So education of the townie tourist is what is needed, not legislation. I've found most are keen to learn the right ways if the subject is approached in a kind and friendly manner, rather than an authoritarian one.
Teach the younger larger lout party kids the right things and you won't have such a big problem.
As with anything though, there are those who take no notice of anyone and are only interested in their own hedonistic , beer swilling selves. No amount of legislation or education will ever stop them. So why make the sensible suffer for those idiots?
Sensible rules, and consequences for breaking them. That's what is needed, not a blanket ban.
Cromwell would be proud of the chap that started all this, and is sowing division and anger everywhere for their own materialistic ends.
Let's remember that it's a man who has professed many times "he's there to make money.. that's what he does," to quote his words. His only interest is making money, and doesn't care his pheasant shoot money making enterprise is destroying rare beetles , whilst saying he's trying to preserve the environment. Ha ha!

Reactions: gg012

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE