Ash - any suggestions for what to do with it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Looking for ideas/inspiration here...

I have spent much of this afternoon cutting down branches off an ash tree that shades the light from my veggie patch. This is the result:

ashg.jpg

Now that's a LOT of spoons!:) and maybe I'll have a go at a kuksa or two but I am looking for suggestions as to what to do with it. The pieces in the photo vary from 4 to 5 foot in length and from 2" to 8" in diameter. Most of it will no doubt end up ion the woodpile ( the container it's leaning on is full of the trimmed bits for kindling) but it would be a shame not to use it for something more constructive.

Over to you good people...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Axe/tool Handles ? I have some pieces split down for this purpose.

Flatbow if you have a suitable piece.

Door Handles

Walking sticks

Bow Drill set

Catapult

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's excellent for burning but it makes beautiful bows too. It's shock absorbing so gets used for shinty sticks and hockey ones too. Makes really good tool handles as well.
You could make some rustic garden furniture maybe ?

cheers,
Toddu

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Is ash any good? I know it will make a good bow, but will it make a decent hearth and drill that won't require superhuman strength to light?

TBH i have never tried it. I can't imagine there would be problems though. I use willow at the moment.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'd love to have a stab at making a bow - even a "shorty" one. Also, I intend to cleave some pieces and turn them on the lathe while still green - maybe make chair rails. Possibly a couple of bowls from the thicker pieces...

Might try a tracking stick - saw a couple at the Outdoors Show with compasses set into the top.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Ray Tabor's "The Encyclopedia of Green Woodworking" said:
Since primitive man first made his spears with ash plants and found they did not readily break, ash has been considered the best wood for almost any type of handle. And it also makes fine furniture and turnery

7-12 years: rake stails; scythe snaiths; gate hurdles; bean rods; flower stakes; morris staves; truss hoops; wattle rods for houses; scout staves; barrel hoops; walking sticks; besom handles; besom bonds; rick pegs; hay cribs; hay forks.

12-25 years: cleft handles; tent pegs; hop poles; furniture; crate heads; turnery; rake heads and teeth; fence rails/pales; wedges; firewood; charcoal; milk stools; wooden wheels; vehicle body frames and carts; cricket stumps; oars.

That do you? :D

Please don't ask what most of the above mean; I haven't a clue! :lmao:

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Its possible to make a bow from shorter pieces by splicing them in the centre where the handle will be with a Z or W splice and epoxy or other strong glue, hide glue will work fine but is not waterproof if you wanta a bushy style glue, then just treat it asa single piece of wood though avoid bow styles that bend through the handle obviously.

Andy

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Ash is a ring porous timber and the vessels can sometimes be big enough to let the contents of an ash bowl or kuksa leak out (there speaks the voice of experience). So if you make any kuksas you will need to seal them well.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A quarter staff, stave? Always good to have a good stout walking stick or staff about you and a full fighting staff in the Little John/Robin Hood stylee would have many applications other than fighting off people who won't let you cross a bridge!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd use most of that to make rustic chairs or benches only ash isnt very weather esistant so for indoor use. The branches look quite knotty and wild. You might get some decent material for tool handles out of the thicker 8 inch logs, three inch wide blanks by the time you remove the bark and the thin edged pithy center. 8, or even 16 of them if the log is particularly clean and knot free.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Bought an ash staff intended as a shaft for my spearhead but it was too thin.
So I made into a hiking staff instead.
Blackened it with a blowtorch to get a protective and nice looking coating and made a handle of some rope.

And as an unexpected bonus it fits very well this swiss snow shovel.
22609a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE