Artist or Hoof ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ganoderma lipsiense or Fomes fomentarius ???

DSC00886.jpg

I think I know :cool:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i recon its ganoderma, from pictures horse hoof is more a grey colour. its definately not artist fungi but another ganoderma species, artist fungi is alot flater.

pete

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
http://friesland.paddestoelenkartering.nl/img/foto/ganoderma_lipsiense.jpg

Colours similar to G.lipsiense, the moss indicates it was likely to be near the base of a tree, where as most large Fomes are higher up a main stem with ever decreasing smaller ones below origonal burst of fungus. Does look a bit "fomesy" in shape though as they can spread out when older.
Been a while since I studyied this but theres a test to do, involving introducing a flame to the crusty upper layer. Some sps. of Ganoderma melt then cool to a glaze, but Fomes wont. I can check tomorrow if like.

xylaria

I think it may be phellinus igniarius, as it has a white ridge on the rim. The distinctive feature on a fomes is that the "amadou" layer is very thick, which is what makes so prized. Other conk fungi still have the same layer it is just a bit thinner, vertually all of them when dry will hold an ember, and burn slowy like coal.

I find conks very hard to ID, looking at the underside or even better the cross section of inside makes it much easier.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thought id stick up some other interesting bracket fungi associated with trees.

This is Perenniporia fraxinea, Probably our biggest fruiting body, and can completly surround a very large mature Ash stem at the base, on different levels.
Similar to Ganoderma, with a good truma layer for tinder it would seem. I gathered some the other day so will try out. You only tend to see it on Ash.

Another good one is Inonotus dryadeus. Mainly on the base of Oaks and covered in stange alien like sticky droplets. Only seen it once and unaware of any uses.

:)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not Fomes. Could be a Ganoderma of some kind, but I know better than to try and ID weird brackets on a single photo... ;)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
BTW Ganoderma, resinaceum and Ganoderma pfeifferi have a resinous crust that melts when heated with a flame.
Ganoderma applanatum, adspersum and lipsiense dont do this apparently.

Also G. Lipsiense crust should be able to be indented with a finger nail where as the others cant.

Hope that helps. I tend to use these techniques as I'm useless with colours.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I dont' think so - that's artist's conk. Fomes doesn't bruise - at least, none that I've ever seen did.

Well I'm no mycologist so I can't argue.;)

I do think that the picture fungus is too conical to be an artists conk but on second look it does appear a bit splayed out for a typical fomes.

At least we're not worried about eating it.:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No it's definitely not an eater :D

It's seen better days

I'll cut it through tonight and for a cross section so Fiona can advise.

xylaria

No it's definitely not an eater :D

It's seen better days

I'll cut it through tonight and for a cross section so Fiona can advise.

Addo knows conks far better than I do by far!!!!

Most of them look pretty similar when they are on the tree. Ganodermas are pretty easy as only that family have brown spore deposits on top the fruit body, most other polypores have white spores.

Quite a few conks cause extensive rot inside the tree, what this rot looks like {white dust, brown cubes} and what the tree is are often more useful to iding it than what it looks like a lot of the time.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Addo knows conks far better than I do by far!!!!

Most of them look pretty similar when they are on the tree. Ganodermas are pretty easy as only that family have brown spore deposits on top the fruit body, most other polypores have white spores.

Quite a few conks cause extensive rot inside the tree, what this rot looks like {white dust, brown cubes} and what the tree is are often more useful to iding it than what it looks like a lot of the time.

P3170040.jpg

What about this one:confused:

It is covered in white dust but the underside stains purple when rubbed. It's on birch btw.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Its all work work work! :)

Almost certain its Fomes fomentarius.
Older Fomitopsis pinicola can turn to the grey colour of fomes but have a thin red margin. I am colour blind though so let me off if its blindingly obvious its there on the pic.

Both grow on Birch, both have white spore powder.
Fomes as we know is more common and is a White rot, turning the wood into a white soft mess and causes failures. A flame onto the surface wont make it sticky or melt.

Fomitopsis is a brown rot causing the wood to turn brown and dry, almost like a brick chimney. Brittle fractures occur. Burning the top of the bracket with a flame makes it go sticky and melt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE