Article: Waxed Tilley -TWC6

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice review. I find my cotton T3 is waterproof enough for all but the worst downpours, when a waterproof coat with a hood is better choice anyway.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Nice review. I too have found my cotton Tilley is basically waterproof - the fibres swell when wet and keep the worst of the rain out - and I could see that the lack of breathability of the waxed Tilley would be a problem, especially as it is hard to stuff a Tilley away in your pack and get a different hat out when it is hot. Tilleys are one-hat-per-trip hats!

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Good review. I've been thinking about buying a proper Tilley for a while now. I think the waxed one is a bit weather specific for my needs though- might go for the standard one. Wonder if they make any totally synthetic ones that would dry quickly?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You can use either Nikwax TX-Direct spray or cotton proof on your Tilley is needs be, also gives the fabric some UV protection. Also wash regularly, it does them good, use pure soap though.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
My first Tilley is still my favourite, It was bought in Toronto on a once in a lifetime holiday in Canada.
It is built like a Tank and is of heavy canvas similar to a lorry tarp. It is 100 percent waterproof and really
indestructible. I have been fortunate enough to be able to afford some of the more recent lightweight
ones, which are great for summer use, especially
the ventilated one with the open mesh round the crown but it is not for heavy rain. Like someone on
here said, the woollen Tweedy one for winter is really great in the cold, and it has a flap inside that comes
down over your forehead on cold days plus a protective flap that can be brought down over your
ears. Great.!! My other favourite is an Aussie hat
in leather, bought in Ambleside in the Lake District,
North England. All of them need tying on in windy
weather. Can't say a word against Tilleys though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE