Article: JETBOIL: JETBOIL FLASH AND ACCESSORIES

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Great review John. I like the fact that once you've cooked your meal in the bag you can get a brew on to enjoy with it. Found it easy to keep clean too.

Cheers

Rich

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love this system, its quick and reasonably compact.
Of late I have even started cooking properly in mine.
Boiling pasta then adding a sauce and chopped sausage and warming through.
If you leave a little water in the pasta it helps stop it from sticking.

Good review of a good piece of kit.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Good review there John - thanks.

I have a fair old selection of stoves, and have thought occasionally of adding to them with a Jetboil system. But the incredibly focussed (ie limited!) nature of the beast has tended to put me off - particularly at that price! Effectively you're paying a very large premium for speed of boiling a half-litre of water, and fuel/weight efficiency, which is perfect if you need those facilities, but excessive if you don't. And as I'm not ever likely to be a participant in the Ten Tors race or similar, I guess I probably don't qualify as a target customer!

The pot stand accessory - allowing you to use other pans on it - is new to me, and does open up its usability, although I'm guessing you'd also need a windshield.

What about reliability? I seem to remember reading some articles in the past where there have been some common failures, although It may have just been the piezo lighter, which is not a big deal.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I've got one of the first edition jetboil pcs systems. With the pot stand I use it like any other stove and cook everything on it. You do have to lower the flame down (can you do that with the more recent ones) or it burns the food in the centre of the pan. I've had it for years and use it on every trip but as mentioned the piezo ignition is a pain, dont know how many times I've replaced it. I just light it with a match now instead.

u6aqyry4.jpg

u8a6u6uv.jpg

Bacon and eggs in the boot of my car using an old jetboil with the big pan which is extremly expensive imho and a barsteward to clean. Better off with a cheap non stick fry pan and a pot stand

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
On the newer models they changed the burner head and shortened the peizo so it won't be broken as easily.
On the Zip they have done away with the ignitor all together. The new pot that's available is better for cooking in as its a little wider (Sumo pot)

rulyg26

Jan 5, 2012
Aspull, Wigan
I've had a go with one, I think it must have been an older model though, I couldn't get it to simmer:/
anyone know if you made one of those pot cosys would it simmer on its own after a good blast of heat??

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
You know you can just buy the sol burner for 40 quid, which is(according to all I've read) lighter -70g , far better performing etc. Unless your dedicated to ultra lightweight, ie no pot supports -30g, no cannister feet -20, titanium pot -30g, you will only drop 30g by buying the aluminium sol pot and cosy, and a few for the plastic cup protector. Most of the weight seems to come from what you leave out, and you can do that anyway. And who'd want a titanium pot ?! Titanium burner would probably be a good idea (unless it is now)

Also from all I've read the sol pot is too short for easy stove packing, and the neoprene is useless.

As for the collectors item, you could try spiritburner.com. original early SVEA 123's are worth a fortune !

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
John why do you leave the lid on when boiling ? Does this improve boil time ? Thanks for review Cheers Stewart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE