Army Surplus Goretex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Haven't used Goretex for years, but decided I need something waterproof. In a tight budget, so looking at threads here and ended up looking at Norwegian/Swedish/Canadian forces jackets.

None in XL at the moment, so looking if any of you have experience of the above? The Canadian 3 layer system appeals but has very mixed reviews?

I have googled the above, just always interested in the BCUK views.

Thanks in advance.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think you'll struggle not to find any in camo.

Flecktarn pattern is easier on the eye and somehow doesn't look completely 'military'. I had a german flecktarn jacket and salopettes. Great gear, fitted over anything (salopettes had zip on bottom so they could be put over boots). Lasted for years of extreme abuse.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Thanks for those. There are non-camo versions from Austria/Canada/Norway, but, as you say, they are hard to find!

The fleck tarn does look more subtle than some patterns. I'll have a look at those, too.

Cheers.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Check out the RAF foul weather jackets - blue, 3/4 length, very nicely made and some come with a liner. I bought an unissued one for £25 and it is lovely - go for slightly bigger than you normally would as they are smaller than the Army ones.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Check out the RAF foul weather jackets - blue, 3/4 length, very nicely made and some come with a liner. I bought an unissued one for £25 and it is lovely - go for slightly bigger than you normally would as they are smaller than the Army ones.

+1 for these bought one years ago they were modelled on the old berghaus Lightning Waterproof I believe

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Austrian mountain troop goretex is what you're wanting just Google usually about £40.
Great jacket but for weight and packability I think the British DPM one is the best, just a shame it's camo!

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Austrian mountain troop goretex is what you're wanting just Google usually about £40.
Great jacket but for weight and packability I think the British DPM one is the best, just a shame it's camo!

Swotty - yup. That's the fella. Can't find an XL one for sale. They look just the ticket especially for the money. You own one?

Cheers.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Swotty - yup. That's the fella. Can't find an XL one for sale. They look just the ticket especially for the money. You own one?

Cheers.

Yes, I've had one a few years, good heavy duty jacket. Remember these are on the large side anyway to fit over winter clothing so a large might be sufficient?

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Arrived yesterday. Brilliant!!
Didn't get around to buying some reproofing, so off to the moot as is. Great quality. The material is certainly as good as my last high-end montane.

Many thanks for the guidance.

Surplus and Outdoors were spot on, too.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
It says 'unlined' can you buy an inner for it?

Don't think so, it's a shell as are most military goretex jackets. There is an M65 style Austrian jacket that is goretex lined....as of yesterday I am the proud owner of one and jolly nice it is too!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
There is an M65 style Austrian jacket that is goretex lined....as of yesterday I am the proud owner of one and jolly nice it is too!

A good jacket ~ a nice high collar which has been _very_ useful the past few days or so :approve: . Toasty warm when augmented by a Dachstein wooly-pully* ;)

* Until you move, then it's _toasty[SUP]4[/SUP]_! :eek: :yikes: .

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Mine arrived today, didn't really look at the size just whacked it on the biggest. Turns out it ain't big enough! Seems like really good jacket, pretty sad it doesn't fit!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.

I just got one of these unissued on ebay from your advice and it's a great jacket. I'm 5' 11" and 40" chest so I went for the 180/100 size, and I probably could have gone a bit smaller - maybe a 170/96 if I could find it as there is plenty of room for layers underneath but I would prefer a little snugger fit. The length is good because it covers your trouser pockets so your wallet doesn't get wet. I always wear a waterproof hat at work so having no hood is no problem for me at all. I did see that Denbigh sell some with a goretex hood they added themselves, a little pricier than the standard but if you need a hood could be worth it.

Very comfortable material as well - I didn't get too hot even while doing some pretty intensive sweeping up ;). The only thing I couldn't find out - and is purely a matter of interest - is the waterproof rating of the fabric. Does anyone know what it is? I think the standard for goretex is 28,000mm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE