Army rations advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
rik_uk3 said:
When I was just a boy, many, many moons ago, Surprise peas, Yeoman mash, and corned beef was the mainstay of my typical days food for camping. When I could afford it, Vesta Beef Risotto was king :)

Oh yes that brings back memories.. Oh hang on I had one last weekend at camp :D That and the Paela both were superb apart from having to have a knob of butter that always went a bit funny. :eek:

My other favourite was Smash potato made up with Paxo Sage and Onion stuffing mix. Awesome (Espcially with a spoonful of Picallli) :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In the 70's, Batchelors used to make catering packs of curry, stew etc, they would make a gallon of the stuff. As I worked at Tesco's then, I would split a pack into 4, and use the vacuum packing machine to make my own ration pouches. I did 12 days camping in France living on the stuff when I was skint, I stopped crapping after the 8th day, talk about bunged up :(

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I posted this tip many moons ago, but if you heat the pate up in boiling water, that oily residue goes back into the meat and it tastes divine. That's a tip from a gurkha that I did a course with about two years ago, and I've never eaten it cold since.

Gotta go for a shower now, as I just had a night out with my 4 year old girl, and I stink!!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
well you'll be pleased to know i've had the ration pack it was delicious!

the one i went for was "G"
very good, there was nothing i didn't like it's probably best to egnore the discriptions as they don't bear much relation to the contents but delicious all the same! :D

thanks for all your advice!
next excarsise i'm going for "C"! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE