Are you feeling tired?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I cant sleep at night, and am exhausted all day.

Is it just me, or do you feel like this at this time of the year?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I'm not sure about the "can't sleep at night" bit - I've always found it hard to get to sleep. But as for being exhausted all day, irritable, depressed and craving simple fats and carbohydrates - oh yes. I'm very seriously considering buying a light box.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seriously, try one Vitamin D tablet a day.

I don't get depressed in Winter but oh I can sleep the clock round, and from someone who averages four or five hours normally as a good sleep, it's very noticeable.

I do sit and work under full spectrum daylight bulbs at home too though. They do help :)

cheers,
M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I cant sleep at night, and am exhausted all day.

Is it just me, or do you feel like this at this time of the year?

Need to know more about you. Background work history, shift patterns ( if that applys ) , exercise habits ( if any ) etc etc.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Seriously, try one Vitamin D tablet a day.

I take a fish oil supplement during the winter for the vitamin D, but it's only 5mg... I simply can't find a straight vitamin D supplement for some reason.

I sit and work in the darkest corner of an office with tinted windows and poor natural light at the best of times...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well, I'm not sure about the "can't sleep at night" bit - I've always found it hard to get to sleep. But as for being exhausted all day, irritable, depressed and craving simple fats and carbohydrates - oh yes. I'm very seriously considering buying a light box.

Have you ( If you are not Lactose Intolerant ) considered more Milk ?
Would give you simple Fats, Carbs,good clean protein and Vit D?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Have you ( If you are not Lactose Intolerant ) considered more Milk ?
Would give you simple Fats, Carbs,good clean protein and Vit D?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk

The craving for fats and carbs is more of a "comfort food" thing - I'm thinking more chocolate caramel shortbread and deep-fried pizzas than mere milk. ;) Hadn't really considered it as a source of vit D though... The Dairy Council say "There is very little vitamin D in milk and in fact only trace amounts and in the UK milk is not fortified with vitamin D." Given than I basically never see daylight during the working week between October and March, it's the vit D that is the real issue. (Well, that and the excess melatonin...)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You can get a special alarm clock that has a daylight adjusted light in it. The alarm is the light getting brighter. I know it is lack of sleep but if you do get to sleep I reckon a gentler wake up is better and if it is SAD this will also help.

Other than that you can get something with serotonin (5HT) in tablet form that is meant ot treat SAD. Not sure if prescription or over the counter or health food stores.

Avoid alcohol is a must as it does disrupt sleep patterns.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes but do you have difficulty in sleeping? THe op does so perhaps extreme times need extreme measures. Or at least until his sleep patterns stabilise on sleep at night wake in day. Perhaps since you sleep ok you could have his share while he's off it stabilising his sleep Dunc!! Keep his measure going until he's back sleeping again.
:D

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Just woke up again. Time to go get kids.

Not sure what you need.

47, 140kg, 5ft6", Aspergers, Not Diabetic - been checked, Asthmatic ventolin and another when I remember to take it, anti depressants - started again 4 days ago after break since Nov?, Put on 70 kg when I gave up smoking 15 years ago, Work out in the gym sporadically, walk sporadically, bike ... again...Housewife, dont work. One Hypo kid who doesnt sleep, other 12hrs a night lol, usually live on english breakfasts and ice cream, currently living on shreddies and steak pies. I get up at 7 am, kids to school, then listless until about 1am, until 4 when I can sort of function, then im out again. WHat else do you want to know?

School run... Will be back in a while.

E

ex member coconino

The only time I sleep really restfully is in the open. I crave sleep less when I'm out and am happy to awaken in the early hours to a view of the stars and then doze until it's time for a brew. But then again I live in a noisy area and stay up much too late on the pooter, so it's hardly surprising I don't sleep well. Earplugs are great things, by the way, silicone ones are my favourite.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Jeez, No idea you doubled your bodyweight when you gave up smoking,thats a hell of a weight gain. I have pretty much given up alcohol,but over Christmas i had the odd(may be 4/5 glasses between Crimbo and new year) glass of wine and my ability to get to sleep was seriously affected,think co's ive drunk so little recently having a little really was noticable didnt feel drunk but really irritable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE