Are you feeling tired?

Ace Rimmer

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Swindon
Just woke up again. Time to go get kids.

Not sure what you need.

47, 140kg, 5ft6", Aspergers, Not Diabetic - been checked, Asthmatic ventolin and another when I remember to take it, anti depressants - started again 4 days ago after break since Nov?, Put on 70 kg when I gave up smoking 15 years ago, Work out in the gym sporadically, walk sporadically, bike ... again...Housewife, dont work. One Hypo kid who doesnt sleep, other 12hrs a night lol, usually live on english breakfasts and ice cream, currently living on shreddies and steak pies. I get up at 7 am, kids to school, then listless until about 1am, until 4 when I can sort of function, then im out again. WHat else do you want to know?

School run... Will be back in a while.

Go and see a doctor, explain the problems, they are professionals. You could even see a councellor. No offence intended but you need to consult people who can help rather than people on a forum. Good luck!

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I have no problems sleeping at all, in fact I could close my eyes right now and drift off, problem I have is staying awake, rarely feel actually tired though, or is that just any more tired than usual? :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm struggling to keep my eyes open on the half an hour commute these days, not sure what it is but if I decide to pull over and have twenty minutes shut eye I can't get to sleep. As soon as I get back on the road again my eyes start to go again.

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
This time of year i'm falling asleep stood up on the flippin train!
it doesn't help i work in an airconned office that has the heating cranked all through the winter, tinted windows and no chance of fresh air and if the sun ever shines through the windows all the flippin blinds are drawn!
i managed to get out on a course on tuesday in the fresh air, it was GLORIOUS, some nice exercise coppicing and in the afternoon the sun was out and on my face with the wind blowing gently.
two days back in the office and i'm straight back to being down and out. :(
it doesn't help that i work in a town that is litterally the ar*e hole of salford, where people shove past you, no one cleans up after their dog and the train station reeks of burnt plastic and stale urine...apparently the train station is a communal toilet, who knew?
next to the station is a small industrial site where they are ALWAYS burning stuff, they always steer clear of black smoke mind.

i need to get outdoors, i need to get the hell away from this...GREY this concrete horror.
i'm also in the same boat as greg in that i've been downing tonnes of milk (steri best as its creamy) and lots of pasta.
On a positive note, this morning it was actually getting quite light whilst waiting for my train to arrive (late as usual) and its warmer then it has been all winter.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A very old lady told me a good tip to sleeping well in Winter. Have your bed warm, and cover your head if need be, but have the room cold and a little fresh air coming in. Open the curtains a bit too, even starlight is light, and when you surface and glance at the window you instinctively know dawn's coming and go down to sleep again until it's nearer.

Too many folks don't sleep well because they're not breathing clearly. Those of us carrying more weight than we really ought are particularly vulnerable to snuffling breaths and sinusitus symptoms that interupt sleep.

cheers,
Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Go and see a doctor, explain the problems, they are professionals. You could even see a councellor. No offence intended but you need to consult people who can help rather than people on a forum. Good luck!

I'd agree , the reason I asked about more information was that it was a very narrow snapshot of symptoms that were initially offered, the thread started to take a veer down the SAD route.
As I understand it SAD sufferers have no problem getting to sleep , it tends to be the getting up part thats an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

I would definitely suggest seeing your Doctor. Sooner rather than Later.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm struggling to keep my eyes open on the half an hour commute these days, not sure what it is but if I decide to pull over and have twenty minutes shut eye I can't get to sleep. As soon as I get back on the road again my eyes start to go again.

Its those lines in the middle of the road. Does it for me. I am wide awake on bendy roads but motorways and straight dual carriageways (more modern roads) I'm dropping off way too easily. Fortunately I am about 4 minutes tops between my junction and the one I get off for work.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Its those lines in the middle of the road. Does it for me. I am wide awake on bendy roads but motorways and straight dual carriageways (more modern roads) I'm dropping off way too easily. Fortunately I am about 4 minutes tops between my junction and the one I get off for work.
Motorways do that to me to in the van to work iam awake untill we hit the motorway..................good job i am not driving ,dont understand why:confused:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

I've got a 22 mile run each way on the A1 and M62, after 12 years at the same place I'm now on autopilot half the time. You're spot on about the motorways, as soon as I get off and get back onto roads again I can feel myself come round.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
boys and girls all i will say to this is try working shifts and your sleep pattern is well and truely buggered up but there is a solution and that is to either use sleeping tablets or make sure you have warm feet. because the amount of times people cant sleep cos of cold feet is untrue
also another trick i habe learnt is go for a walk when u cant sleep it works wounders.

drew

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
boys and girls all i will say to this is try working shifts and your sleep pattern is well and truely buggered up but there is a solution and that is to either use sleeping tablets or make sure you have warm feet. because the amount of times people cant sleep cos of cold feet is untrue
also another trick i habe learnt is go for a walk when u cant sleep it works wounders.

Warm feet is a good point and not lying awake in bed when you can't get off to sleep is another but if you're reasonably healthy and you need sleeping pills or any other drug to get to sleep, it doesn't matter what shift patterns you are working, there is some other underlying cause of your sleeplessness.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
regular exercise will definitely help.

Couldn't agree more. At the risk of sounding patronising (sorry if I come accross that way) make sure that after Christmas excesses you get a good balanced diet and plenty of exercise. I always used to feel like utter cr*p in January, but since getting out for an early morning run every (most :p) mornings I find I feel happier and less dull during the day and am better able to sleep when it's time to bunk down.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I seem to go to the docs most years at this time.

They send me for tests and I sort of recover before they get the results.

Except weight. I think that was because I was working 16 hours a day 7 days a week doing things like hand mixing concrete with a 3 1/2 cu ft mixer.

I stopped work to look after the kids and was told to stop smoking from 60 a day. I did. Ovenight. Probably wasnt the best thing I could do.

I can cope with this much weight all year except January.

Makes me think its something else.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Going to look at sleeping in complete darkness. Havent tried that.

Also going to watch for cold feet. Not something that bothers me too much, but will watch for it.

Schism

Jan 8, 2011
Kernow
I'm struggling right now but i'm not getting to bed late most nights around 11 or 12 and then up at 5 for work so it's my own fault really.

Got a friend who suffers from SAD quite badly but i've always enjoyed winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE