Are you a doer or a donta

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you practise bushcraft or puffing up the pillows on ya sofa

• Yeah.....Im an Keen Bushcrafter, as often as poss

Votes: 74 24.7%
  • I do get out there when I can

Votes: 179 59.7%
  • Not often

Votes: 35 11.7%
  • Never...............But I like shinny things

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Never...............Bushcraft is a forum thing, in a comfy chair

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Martyn said:
I didnt think you were particularly Jason, I guess my response was more a case of me trying to make some kind of general point.

I think it's great when people get out there, but I dont mind who does or who doesnt. The problem with threads like these is that they can get a bit "bushcraftier than thou" or heiracrchical, with those who think themserlves as real bushcrafters sneering at others. It hasnt happened yet, but the topic made me instantly bristle. I have great admiration for those who are motivated to get out often, but little admiration for those who would use it, to look down on others.

I'm just making the point and hopefully making people think a little before they run down someone because they spend more time collecting knives or stoves or whatever.

Each to his own. :)
no one was running any body down sorry if you felt that way :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
jason sears said:
no one was running any body down sorry if you felt that way :)

I didnt feel they were and if you clear some PM space, you'll get the apology I've been tring to send you. :)

I do feel the topic is divisive by it's nature though. Look at the questions. What is it, if it's not a p****** contest? ;)

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
Martyn said:
I didnt feel they were and if you clear some PM space, you'll get the apology I've been tring to send you. :)

I do feel the topic is divisive by it's nature though. Look at the questions. What is it, if it's not a p****** contest? ;)
sorry mate we could do this all day but I have to get to the woods :D

Reactions: The Joker
M

mikehill

Never apart from the odd time camping. Mind you, shiny is nice ;) I do have all the gear though so I will .... soon ... honest :D
Mike.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
I have a list of priority’s (not all of which or by choice) that I have to live by. Among which are ( at the very top) my wife and family IE keeping them fed and sheltered. My religion ETC…………..
bush craft is on there but it goes up and down the list as time, funds and a hole lot of other considerations allow. Just the same as my other interests that keep me sane. So I hope I am a bush crafter.
chris

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i get out when i can, me and a mate go camping quite alot together, i take walks round the fields and stuff when i can
leon

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
jason sears said:
sorry mate we could do this all day but I have to get to the woods :D

Better get cracking, the day's half gone, I'll be spending the day puffing up the pillows on my sofa and looking for shiny stuff to buy. :D

Remember, the more you carry, the less you need to know. :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Best of all I love to get out there, wether its wandering round the nature reserve looking for fungi, reptiles, plants or just casual nature watching, or going to meets and learning new stuff, meeting others of similar ilk, hill walking, hiking, or just sitting round a warm open fire and drinking till I fall in it. I just love the outdoors, even in the winter, infact I really love camping out in the winter, the fire is better, the wildlife is easier to see and so long I am warm, I am happy.....
Saying this, I love to sit here and chat to you lot, I have met some great people because of this and its good to chat with those of you I don't know, there is a sort of warm fire glow about it all....
I am having a very lazy saturday morning, but will get out this afternoon....

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
There is some cool answers coming out here.................Please don't take it to seriously. ;)

Keepem coming :D

And don't forget you don't have to say what you voted. :eek: if ya want to stay anon :cool:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I try to get out in the woods as frequently as I can.

School, work, family; it is all has lower priority than going into the woods.

Well, the family really has equal priority. Partly because of pressure from my woman. :( But lots of projects can be done at home too. She however draws the line when it comes to tanning hides and similar smelly stuff. :cussing:

leon-1

Practice does not always make one good at something, it is the ability to learn assimilate and then employ a skill with competence and understanding that makes one good at it. Some people can do this quicker than others.

However not all things that are learnt in the field need to be practiced there and many basic things which are invaluable to working in the field can be learnt at home or work.

In other words people can hone thier skills and increase thier knowledge base as much in thier backgarden as they can in the field, however neither can replace the other.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Martyn said:
Remember, the more you carry, the less you need to know. :D

My sentiments exactly! :lmao:

Im not voting in the bushcraftier than thou poll, cos some might say that what I do is not bushcraft, but I go out on my boat on Loch Lomond and cokk over a fire, make things, put up a tarp etc... twice a week if possible all year round.

Then again, I spend a large amount of time on me bum in front of the computer on the forums and am an incurable gear junky! :D

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
mojofilter said:
Then again, I spend a large amount of time on me bum in front of the computer on the forums and am an incurable gear junky! :D

Amen to that. Why not if it gives you pleasure? :)

There are lots of things I enjoy doing, but none of them are mutually exclusive. Sharing a brew with a good mate, round a campfire is great, one of life's simplest and best pleasures, but I love buying stuff too. :)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I have to say I spend quite a bit of time on the forums..............But if Im unable to go out there and do it, I might as well talk about it, and Like Mr Pickett said there are some good characters on here! :rolleyes:

I am lucky enough to spend maybe 2/3 weekends in my woods with some of the guys from here, and I know not everyone has that opportunity but you don't have to camp out to "bushcraft" Just going for a walk and being aware of all that nature has to offer I feel is "Bushcraft"

I like my kit as well.................and "MY NAME'S PETE AND I LIKE SHINNY THINGS"..................OK I said it ;)

The poll is not judgmental, I just wondered if people practised what they talk about on here. :D

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oh a difficult one. I live in a wood so I tend to do bushcrafty things when I've got an hour or so free. Even been known to do them in my comfy chair. However, I don't go away bushcrafting (mostly due to lack of time)- though bivi when climbing from time to time.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I try to get out whenever I can. And at the moment it's not much, though I'm outiside everyday, even just to go for a walk in town for a break whilst studying. Can't stay inside for longer than 24 hours, or I'll go mad :rolleyes:

Like my kit too though :D
My recent purchase was a BCB survival kit tin (without the kit) for 7-8 GBP, and a NATO fishing kit for 3 GBP, both new as can be :D

EDIT:
Martyn said:
The only people who have the right to sit in judgement on me, are god and me mother, and I'd argue with god.

Nice one! Fully agree with as well!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
mojofilter said:
Im not voting in the bushcraftier than thou poll, cos some might say that what I do is not bushcraft, but I go out on my boat on Loch Lomond and cook over a fire, make things, put up a tarp etc...
Much the same here.

Out pretty much every weekend. Don't do much hands-on as I'm more of a wanderer than a woodsman.
Learning to canoe has eaten a lot of this years camping time but hopefully that'll pay off by opening up more vistas in the future.

Stayed home this week to put a handle on a knife(and watch the bike race)....
....so I guess I best away and get on with it then :rolleyes: . Ba-humbug, I was enjoying reading the forum :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE