Are you a Bushcraft "Anorak"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
O

Old Timer

Over the years I've seen all sorts of Bushcrafters.
There are the RM clones, dressed in olive army trousers, Lowa boots and Swanndri shirt. Then there is the Bushcraft militia. They are usually in full camo and webbing.
Bushcraft also seems to be their only topic of conversation. I try for the "ordinary guy with a rucksack out for a walk in the country" look if I can.
I also never talk about Bushcraft unless I am asked. How about you?;)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
*** is a Bushcraft 'anorak'?

How about people stop worrying what everyone else does/wears/likes?

It's so easy to dismiss people as one thing or another before getting to know them. If you do this all your life you'll miss the opportunity to meet some fantastic people. :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Each to his own;)

I wear whatever won't be missed when ripped/scorched/holed by embers.

Some folks enjoy having "bespoke bushy gear",good luck to 'em.:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm the one who like what he likes and doesn't need to explain himself or wish to examine the motivation of others. Neither do I need to indulge is any form of inverted snobbery.

Red

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
well i generally wear mine lowa's, because they are mine only hiking boots. Although i do have some old suede army issued boots, they just aren't as comfortable. Mine old green trouwsers date's back from mine high school area.

Pretty much all of mine clothing has been collected slowely over the years and primairly with fuction and price as priority. So i might look a bit RM ish, but that isn't something i really care about. I don't own a swadri nor do i care about it.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If we had as many threads on actual skills as we do on what folk wear and equipment used and why you are a clone, or not an individual, Tony would have to double his bandwidth. Can we leave these sort of threads alone for a while and concentrate on threads that may help others develop their skill sets? I for one am getting quite tired of these pointless threads!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm the one who like what he likes and doesn't need to explain himself or wish to examine the motivation of others. Neither do I need to indulge is any form of inverted snobbery.

Red

Right on the mark as usual Red. As Scotland's National Bard, Robert Burns, says in his poem, 'To a Louse',

'O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!'

That does it for me.:D

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't think I am a bushcraft anorak, but I am total nerd with plants and fungi. :22: I am interested in the most obscure information like do you know NASA has researched a compound called monomethylhydrazine that's found in false morels as potential rocket fuel, Is that useless to know or what?

Far more useful would be know much homous and chana dal the average human has to consume before they get lathyrism, but that I don't know.

I talk bushcraft if I can because I makes me look more normal (thanks to RM) than admitting what real geek I am. I don't mind at all others having there own geekness either. To me edge tools come in two types blunt or sharp, and kit works or doesn't. But then to those bushcrafters plants are poisonous or food. Thats why we enlighten each other. :grouphug:

arjuna

Jan 6, 2007
amstelveen
that it am starting / but the line is thin for me its the way back or i dream from my childhood dpm or olive or rm so be it

let the stilnis in side you be your gide

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What a peculiar thread. You wear what works and what you can afford. If you spend any time dwelling on which category of bushcrafter you might be, you've lost the plot. Get out there: do it; enjoy it; look after it.

pag_3833

May 9, 2007
suffolk - uk
half the time i look like a chav when im out hehe. but i wear pretty much anything as long as its warm and comes in handy. dont care what it looks like

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Does it really matter what people wear?as long as they are happy,I know from first hand experience that people are affected by a persons outward appearance(I was a biker,long hair,denims,tattoos and the patch).
And when people who have a common interest get together most talk about that interest,we would not have this forum if this was not the case.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Blimey is it 'gang up on old timer day' today? :rolleyes:

Personally I look ridiculous in 'combat' trousers and would live in jeans but they are a bit
slow to dry so I have to accept looking daft. Or being cold and wet :)

I'm very glad to read that you lot probably wouldn't care tuppence what I looked like
though!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My appearance varies according to my task, sometimes I dress like a Viking, occasionally I look like a Roman Centurian and sometimes I wear earthy colours like greens or browns. I don't think I could ever be described as a clone because I do things my own way and I've been like that for as long as I can remember.

For example, I choose drab colours because I don't like spotting out colourful figures from my landscape photos so why should I cause someone else the same problem. I do wear a Swannie because it feels like a tunic which I'm used to. I wear a wide brimmed hat because I catch the sun easily, I don't like rain and I don't like hoods. My current hat is my second and I've had it for over twenty years so I'm not quite sure who I'm supposed to be copying.

In conversation I could bore you in about a dozen different subjects, one of them could be called bushcraft I suppose but it could just as easily be history, photography, science, archeaology, education, ancient cookery, digital art, or half a dozen or so assorted crafts.

I suppose like most people we all get stuck into our own subject occasionally, I do tend to be one of the people that always has something to talk about, the trick is to read peoples responses and know what is of interest to other people and what is not.

It's like this place, some people post a lot and others are happy to mainly read but don't post much at all.

I suppose at heart I'm just not a very passive person, I'm happiest when I'm contributing something, whatever it is.

Your question is quite legitimate, I'm think some have responded slightly aggresively because it could easily be seen as taking a pop at some people. I don't think that was your intention.

I think the remarkable thing about this site is the number of truly individual people that I have communicated with and met at the meet ups. I believe you are going to the Spring Bushmeet so that is something you will no doubt find for yourself.

It's true that there is a similarity in appearance between people at times, but the same could be said of mushrooms and look at the trouble that could cause you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE