Are you a Bushcraft "Anorak"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
no not a anorak a sas smock:D
if it works i'll wear it
if folk think less of me for wearing camo that's there loss
at 50 feet they will have to find me first!-sod them

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
ive always bean wearing the green
though as im getting madder im looking more bushcrafty .
feel uncomfatable in dpm now - not in the woods but when yu get back to town
i got a tilley hat which i generaly stuff in jacket as i approach a town (makes u a bit of a target outide of the country)
very good point about the pre judging glad yu got in there with it on the second post

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
i got a tilley hat which i generaly stuff in jacket as i approach a town (

I can understand the frustrations voiced above but I think it's a fair question. A lot of the "bushcrafters" I've seen do look like identikit clones and there does seem to be an unofficial "uniform" that is adopted, either deliberately or not.

For what its worth I've got a swandri ranger shirt but don't wear it much as its too bloody itchy and tilley hats should only be worn by over-weight men in rugby shirts, preferably walking around market towns on bank holidays, usually with an expensive trophy dog/wife in tow :)

pvtcamo

May 21, 2007
Krapina, Croatia
I'm a kind of a hybrid between a RM type of bushcrafter, and a military bushcrafter. That is, when I'm alone you cannot even see me in the woods because of all the camo I got on me. And when others go with me, I'm in OD, and brown, and jeans, ...

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've just bought a cheapo tilley hat from tesco for £7 for on the allotment to keep the sun from my eyes and burning my ginger head and hopefully to keep those annoying bloody flies out of my ears!

I tend to wear OG keks all the time now - even at work. Having multiple large pockets is more useful than two crappy jeans pockets.

No swandri shirt of smoke though

yet Mwuhahhahahaa

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Your question is legitimate, why not? But divided into two totally different questions it would be more interesting to me;

1). What do you wear during bushcrafting?
2). How do you present yourself as a bushcrafter towards other ppl.?

For me though clothing is purely a practical matter. In cold weather one of the more important matters as well.

What irritates me (and probably some others) is that I don't like to ask myself what ppl. think of me. I just want to be myself, without that complication. I wear green, brown, black and blue if possible. Maybe sometimes a cammo trousers but mostly olive cargo pants.

I am no anorak (why in godsname??), I wear one. I only need one jacket. Summer or winter; my anorak. Very practical and lightweight.

Lush

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
If we had as many threads on actual skills as we do on what folk wear and equipment used and why you are a clone, or not an individual, Tony would have to double his bandwidth. Can we leave these sort of threads alone for a while and concentrate on threads that may help others develop their skill sets? I for one am getting quite tired of these pointless threads!

You don't HAVE to post on them, you know. Some people may find them interesting so why not leave them to it.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I believe I answered this id another post but hear goes
Stetson hat
Blue denim jacket
Red denim shirt
Checked bandanna
Blue denim Jeans
brown leather belt. With Gold buckle
Ranch wellington elephant hide boots

This has been my bush craft hunting fishing an camping garb for years.
see no reason to change now. I don't give a d$$ what other people think
about what I ware
:D

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I must admit when I read the initial post and some replies, I began to become a bit defensive myself. But I think I see what you’re getting at, although I still think it’s a bit of a swipe. To categorise people into RM clones, Bushcraft anoraks and Bushcraft militia is also perhaps a little erroneous. My experience of meeting people having the same interest is far from what you’ve described. All you have to do is look at the gallery to see what I’m getting at.

My experience of conversations around the fires at Bushmoots is far from being Bushcraft dominated. During the day perhaps this is true, as most people are keen to learn about a variety of Bushcraft topics, but in the evening conversations meander across many diverse subjects as with any gathering of folk.

There’s bound to be some influencing from the media and sites like BCUK. If this was a football forum I’m sure a good percentage would turn up to a game wearing latest club football tops or looking like clones of each other.

If someone recommends pieces of kit then others are going to seriously consider its purchase if they’re in the market for such an item. I’ve no qualms in asking someone where they got a certain bit of kit if I like the look of it. Obviously the result will be that people wear/use similar or the same items and consequently possibly look the same. Some people like to concentrate on aesthetics and authenticity for a certain era and why not?

Personally, I’m not happy with wearing anything that I would be upset about seeing ruined through playing with fires, sharp objects, thorns and general grubbiness. I sometimes even swap function for form. I purchase robust clobber which surplus stores tend to provide, i.e. olive trousers, jackets. If Swanndri kit was 50% cheaper, I’d have that too!

You haven’t described your ‘ordinary guy going for a walk in the country’ attire. Is that a rambler clone or tweed jacket, flat ‘at and plus fours? Good topic. See you at the moot. I'll be the one in the deerstalker. ;)

Pablo.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
my work, hobbies and social life all seem to blend into one so i wear what i want and present myself as me. i can quite often be seen sporting the dreaded hoody and get miffed at the vilification of them. i guess i come across as a hippy, bushcrafting, chavvy camper with good boots. :cool:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I've had a couple of good anoracks but these days wear a sea kayak cagoul and it beats them hands down. Same kind of weight but lets you fall in rivers without really getting wet;).

Drytrousers are nice too:).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Over the years I've seen all sorts of Bushcrafters.
There are the RM clones, dressed in olive army trousers, Lowa boots and Swanndri shirt. Then there is the Bushcraft militia. They are usually in full camo and webbing.
Bushcraft also seems to be their only topic of conversation. I try for the "ordinary guy with a rucksack out for a walk in the country" look if I can.
I also never talk about Bushcraft unless I am asked. How about you?;)

I wear whatever is cheapest and does the job. At last years bushmoot (my lad and I's first) my boy asked if we should have got the uniform as there were a lot of people dressed the same:rolleyes: Wear what you like and you feel comfortable in I say, I'll wear OG, DPM, blue, brown, grey, whatever is at hand to be honest as I've no interest in what others think of how I look. That said, there does seem to be an underlying layer of kit 'snobbery' where people won't even consider another option to kit if its not got the 'right label' , but if they have that amount of dissposible income to hand then good luck to them, go spend it. Its almost like a fashion trend, at the moment, you 'have to have' ventile, well thats all that was going when I was a young lad if your parents could afford it, I wore it (expensive back then even) and I got wet, so I'll stick to Gortex thank you very much and stay dry

PS, buscraft is a poor word to use to describe what to me anyway, is good, old fashioned, boy scout influenced, camping (bloody hell, I'm showing my age). Its not like we live in parts of Africa, America or Australia where bushcraft as a descriptive term, would be more accurate now is it? Still, we are stuck with it I guess.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
There are the RM clones, dressed in olive...
Actually, I’m rather fond of green, OT :D
...Bushcraft also seems to be their only topic of conversation...I also never talk about Bushcraft unless I am asked...
I guess that what makes BCUK so valuable to many of us, we can obsess away without bothering relatives and friends, or randomly chosen members of the public on the street, with the finer points of tinder preparation and why it really was worth the money to buy yet another knife.
...I try for the "ordinary guy with a rucksack out for a walk in the country" look if I can...
I’ve nothing against that look, personally.

Each to his own, and all of that :)

Best regards,
Paul.

O

Old Timer

Well now. With some notable exceptions, I seem to have ruffled quite a few feathers.

(PS, bushcraft is a poor word to use to describe what to me anyway, is good, old fashioned, boy scout influenced, camping (bloody hell, I'm showing my age). Its not like we live in parts of Africa, America or Australia where bushcraft as a descriptive term, would be more accurate now is it? Still, we are stuck with it I guess.) rik_uk3

You are absolutely correct rik_uk3, bushcraft is a "foreign" term. I can remember when it was called "Fieldcraft" until the army hijacked the word for use in sniper training.
Perhaps we should start a campaign to regain the word. I think it fits better don't you?;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Be fair,

Thats what you set out to do. When you choose words like "clone" and "militia", you have clearly set out to insult and draw attention to yourself. No problem with attention seeking but please, don't be coy about it.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE