Are you a blood donor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I used to be give blood regularly when I used my Mora Spoonknife! Better now I have some from nic westermann.:lmao:
I am a donor again after a break of some years but got my little silver pin about 15 years ago.It can make you feel a little light headed if you haven't eaten but on the whole it's quick and painless and for most of us it will be the only chance we will ever get to save someone's life.I've never needed to make a withdrawal from my account but it's good to know it's there.
Cheers , Vlad the Impaler.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Considering how long ago this thread was started and I signed up on line pretty much the same day I have only now just had my first donation session.

Very simple and painless with friendly staff and atmosphere, apparently my blood just pours out and only took 20 mins from walking in the door to sitting with a biscuit and glass of squash - though I did have to wait another 25 mins for swmbo as they couldn't find a vein at first and hers was more of a trickle.

Funnily I also bumped into a chap I went to school with and not seen in years so the delay gave me a chance to have a natter while I waited.

All in all I would recommend it and you get to walk out feeling you have done a good deed for the day.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I am giving my next donation in early Sept, it will be my 50th, just a week after my 50th B/day, and they have promised a cake made specially for me... I hope they are good to their word, The head of session made a note in her diary to remind herself.

They are a real good bunch of staff who run the local sessions, always good for a laugh too.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Yep I'm a regular, It started when I was in the Army, but now I figure if I go to the woods and play with big sharp pointy things, I may be in a position to need some so why not give some,

Good point, support charities you are most likely to need one day. Fishermen, always give generously to lifeboats.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
for most of us it will be the only chance we will ever get to save someone's life.

Great thought!

I'm starting to get rather depressed by the fact that more people in this thread are told they can't donate than those that do.

Me too, and I'm another one :rolleyes:

they turned us down on the grounds of age which was disconcerting as we were only in our 50s at the time. We came away feeling very sub-standard human beings.

I doubt that's even allowed. They probably thought that donation might harm you, seeing as how everyone over 50 is old, and old people are weak and feeble and a drain on resources.

I too am exluded on totally baseless grounds. I was very angry, to the point of becoming involved in a campaign to change the criteria. But who am I to argue with the mantra of taxpayer's money and expediency? Anyway, I really sympathise with you - it can feel very offensive.

Well done all you donors - it's good work! :)

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I donated this week, number 42.

I worked out that with luck, I might make 100 before they chuck you out. Men can now donate 4 times a year.

Once again, the proceedings have changed, I had a drink of water and a biccie before donating, plus the drink and biccie afterwards. The most painful part of the whole thing is ripping the plaster off my arm!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Funnily I also bumped into a chap I went to school with and not seen in years ...

Funnily too, a couple of sessions ago I bumped into someone I'd never met. But she took one look at me and said, "You're Ged, aren't you?"

I said "Yes, do we know each other?" She said "No, but I used to go to school with your sister!"

Now we went to school in the 1960s, so this was astonishing to me. We'd never met before, but she knew without any doubt who I was from having known my sister nearly half a century ago.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I worked out that with luck, I might make 100 before they chuck you out. Men can now donate 4 times a year.

That's still hard for me to wrap my head around. The frequency here (as stated upstream in the thread; post 39) is every 8 weeks, which works out to 6.5 times a year. Why so long a recovery time there?

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That's still hard for me to wrap my head around. The frequency here (as stated upstream in the thread; post 39) is every 8 weeks, which works out to 6.5 times a year. Why so long a recovery time there?

It's not really a question of recovery time, more one of supply and demand. Blood can only be kept for a few weeks, so they have to balance what they need and what they get to keep a reasonably full stock without having to dispose of vast amounts -- which wouldn't be popular and has associated costs too.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
How long does donated blood last?

Red blood cells, used for traumas, have a 42-day shelf life. Platelets, the clotting element in the blood that is used for cancer and leukemia patients, have a shelf life of 5 days. Plasma, which is mainly used for burn victims, has a shelf life of one year.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

Once again, the proceedings have changed, I had a drink of water and a biccie before donating, plus the drink and biccie afterwards. The most painful part of the whole thing is ripping the plaster off my arm!

Think its still 3 times here in Scotland? Will need to check. Wish I had seen that before I went...

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just a gentle reminder..... if it's been 12 weeks or more; pop along and donate before Xmas. :)

Off tomorrow to donate, hope they have mince pies :lmao:

Erro Telcontar

Forager
Mar 23, 2012
Sheffield
after reading this thread i felt compelled, so i'm just this minute registered and booked my first ever blood donation appointment. it took five minutes and the clinic is 2 minutes aways from my house. now to sit back and wait for the good social conscience feeling to wash over me....oop here it comes :)

Unfortunately not. Since having chemotherapy for a blood related cancer I am barred from donating blood or bone marrow - though not (oddly enough) other organs. If it weren't for that - of course I would be.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think it is invidious to pressure people as to whether they are blood donors or not.

As I posted earlier I am not a blood donor, it is not because I am unwilling to be a blood donor, it is because I am not allowed to be one. I know this because I have volunteered and been told I can't contribute.

I take a regular prescription drug which disqualifies me.

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
used to be a regular donor from when I was 18 until last year when I was no longer allowed to having chronic fatigue/ME, have passed the baton on to my kids although my daughter managed to pass out walking home from the last one........:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE