Are you a blood donor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I'm on the blood donor register and Antony Nolan Bone marrow register but unfortunately never get a chance to give blood doing odd shifts. Last time i was availble i'd just had surgery so wasnt allowed to give.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My wife and I went to give blood. She's a rare group and we both think its a socially responsible thing to do. However, they turned us down on the grounds of age which was disconcerting as we were only in our 50s at the time. We came away feeling very sub-standard human beings. We've both carried a donor card ever since they were introduced. Personally, I've always wanted to donate my body to science- hopefully to answer the question," how the hell did he live so long?

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Been four times now. The last time I went along I couldn't as I had just done my knee in and they were worried about blood poisoning. Chating to an old man while my girlfriend was donating. Said they wouldn't let him donate because his blood preasure was too high, he told them his blood preasure was fine except when lady nurses were present and asked if they had a male one. I fear once I finally stopped laughing everyone was looking questioningly in my direction!

One thing I do find a bit inconvenient is that while I would have been fit to donate the next month they only come once every four. Still I suppose they are a bit streched but I am sure they would get more blood donations if they came more often.

ScoobySnacks

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2012
Berkshire
I donated regularly from 18 until 28. Then I had some issues which leave me taking several meds, including an anticoagulant, so obviously they don't want my blood any more. I also received a unit of blood during OHS and once you've taken, you can't give for some reason.

There are several locations round here that the blood service visit regularly.

I'm O, Rhesus negative.

As for the person who has their blood type listed as D, someone messed up there. The Rhesus system is a whole different system to the ABO system. Rhesus factors (there are about 50 of them) are carried on the outside of the blood cell. The one that indicate Rh + or Rh - (Rhesus positive and Rhesus negative) is the D factor. This is the one considered because it's the most active immunologically, and the one most likely to cause rejection of infused blood. There are four other factors (C, c, E, e) which are classed as immunologically important.

So a blood type will normally be stated as your ABO system blood type, followed by positive or negative (or maybe rhesus positive/rhesus negative) indicating the presence or absence of the rhesus D factor.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
First time Donor this week. Turned down in the past for rediculous reasons (like having a split lip - apparently it meant I could have lots of bugs in my blood :confused:). Various things like travel have prohibited me in the past. I'm also on the Anthony Nolan Trust bone marrow donor list and carry a donor card (when I don't accidentally send it off in the post in an old wallet).

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I only ever gave blood once, then I had an operation and got diagnosed with crohns disease now they unfortunately won't touch me with a barge pole!!
It's great to see so many of us do it though!!!
Well some people
Cheers
Steve

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have been a regular blood donor, but now I'm on regular (innocuous) medication that isn't listed on their database, so they can't approve my donating!

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I'm ashamed to say I don't even know what type I am. My mother has been giving blood since she was 18 ...60 now.
I'm on the Nolan register only a few months ago after a friends dad got a bonemarrow cancer, me thinks I should start giving blood. Even though I smoke, and hate needles.

Infact, I'm off to book now as there is a venue very close to me on Monday.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I'm A+ and I go when time will allow. If I'm not working and I can get over I'll pop in, however I've been turned away twice due to not having an appointment and them being busy.
I'm on my 24th donation and want my next badge (25).

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I used to donate regularly prior to getting tattooed and pierced. I am also on a regular medication which they're not so keen on.

I plan to go back as soon as I am allowed to, and I am a registered Organ Donor.......they can have everything except my eyes. I need those to see in Valhalla!!!!!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I'm A Neg, and for various reasons I got out of the loop of making appointments.

Barring a sudden attack of lurgies then I'm back on the couch next month.

I miss the little certificates you put in your donor wallet though.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I used to give and even got some of the awards (Do they still give them) but my foreign travel these days has meant I am never eligible which is a shame. Organ donor you betcha, should be compulsory if you want access to the NHS.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've been donating for years. It should be a much higher number, but it was my 31st last donation.

Pretty normal O+ here.

I'n normally done in 4 minutes which tends to suprise them every time.

:) Same here! I come in and there are people already hooked up, I go through the whole rigmarole, all the tests, have you had sex while in prison in Zaire, have you been injecting drugs in Haiti questions, sit down, *****, pump, several minutes later I'm done, drinks, food, bye, and those same people are still hooked up to the machine. Those poor saps must have blood like molasses. I've started trying to keep track of how long it takes, and it's usually around the 4 to 5 minute mark.

Another thing I always do is record my blood pressure each time I go. Happy to report it's always within the totally acceptable parameters.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have become a platelet donor now. Fits in with my lifestyle better. They hook you up to a machine for longer (it's about 75 mins for me) and suck blood out, centrifuge the platelets off and the pump the blood back in. The good thing is that you get all your red blood cells back and so you can still train/exercise and you recover more quickly. You can also donate more often. The same safety screening checks still apply.

If you are A pos (like me), they are particularly keen to recruit. I don't know why but A pos is like 'O neg' for blood - universal donation. They will take anyone by the way so if you are not A pos, don't be shy!

The downsides: the procedure takes longer, it is more uncomfortable (as the needle is in longer and your arm is in the same position for over an hour - they do give you a local anaesthetic to help), and you have to make sure you have plenty of calcium or your lips start tingling and they had to give you a glass of milk!

I'll admit, it's not for everyone but for those of you who do donate blood and feel very fatigued afterwards, or if you do a lot of exercise, you should consider platelet donation.

Platelets, amongst other functions, are critical in the complex blood-clotting chain and in the inflammatory process. Where do your platelets go? They are used mainly in people who are immunocompromised (chemotherapy patients, etc) and in very premature babies who cannot form their own platelets.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
I have tried but they don't want me :(

We have regular donation sessions at work but I have had two corneal transplants which means donation is a no-no for the rest of my life apparently.

kawasemi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE