Are you a blood donor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
My gut feel is that statistically, more people on here would be blood donors than another population sample.

My reasoning is that as a rule, people here are generous, think of others when in need (Miles888 for example) and are just generally all round good eggs.

As we also like to play with sharp things it is sensible insurance to have some in the bank as it were.

Now prove me right; or not...

I have been a donor for 30 years just to kick things off.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I grew up in a Derbyshire mining village. More or less everybody was first aid trained and gave blood, I suppose it was just the done thing because of the danger in the mines.

I've been a blood donor for over 40 years. I just had a letter yesterday with my next appointment - 10th May at the Post Mill Centre. Same room the judo club uses. :)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Sadly im not but this may be just the thread to confirm something for me.

I was told a number of year back that due to having tattoo's i would have to wait a minimum of 2 years since the last tatt before being eligable to give blood.
At this point i would need to be tested for various nasties, understandibly, as some can take some time to show up.

Due to this and a large ongoing tattoo i have never been in a position to have two years ink free, any ideas if this is correct or if the rules have somehow changed?

Cheers, Hamster

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
I have been giving blood for about 3 years now, I think it is my social respectability to do so, it take half an hour and done for 3 months.

Reg
Rum

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was. Then I got an assignment to England and the English blood services wouldn't take my blood (I'd been to the US/fear of AIDS contamination) When I got back to the US the Florida (and all other states as well) blood services wouldn't take my blood (I'd been to England/fear of mad cow contamination) Before that time limit expired I went to Saudi for Desert Storm so I was disqualified again. Now as I age I have real medical conditions that disqualify me.
verse group whose travel habits and

My point is that while this group is probably more inclined to be donors; we are a diverse group whose travel habits and age related health may make it as hard for us as the general population.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Sadly im not but this may be just the thread to confirm something for me.

I was told a number of year back that due to having tattoo's i would have to wait a minimum of 2 years since the last tatt before being eligable to give blood.
At this point i would need to be tested for various nasties, understandibly, as some can take some time to show up.

Due to this and a large ongoing tattoo i have never been in a position to have two years ink free, any ideas if this is correct or if the rules have somehow changed?

Cheers, Hamster

Hamster it's now 4 months:

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/who-cant-give-blood/

HTH

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I am hoping to do my 50th donation in the next few months, been going for the last 31 years (on and off).

Started going when I was 18, and will be 50 in August.

The rules and regulations change all the time, I can give every 12 weeks, so long as there have been no tatts or piercings or illnesses.

They are now saying
Piercings/tattoosAny new piercings or tattoos in the past 4 months?

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/top-reasons-donors-are-turned-away/

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Been a proud donor for about 20 years, never used any myself but some of my family has so reckon I've still got some units in the bank! Also had trouble giving due to a lot travel. West Nile virus in california apparently....

Kinda of the mind that if you've never given you should shouldn't get (with some common sense exclusions obviously) But that may be my perverse and outmoded sense of social responsibility

cheers

Alan

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Looks like I was right!

The reason I started this thread is that due to a couple of reasons I missed my last two sessions, but heard this week that the interval between donations (for men) is now only 3 months.

"From February 2012, male blood donors can increase frequency of donating to a maximum of 4 times in 12 months at an interval of not less than 12 weeks. This means there is the potential for up to 100,000 extra donations to be collected every year under this new scheme."

Just to pop another question into the mix, have we got any rare blood types here? I am A Neg which is 7% of the UK frequency, compared to about 70% for A+ and O+ together.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
O- here. Universal donor back when I could. Hence the blood service always calling me to remind me every 8 weeks back then.

Not to Hi-jack the thread but hopefully an added twist; do any of you volunteer your dog for donations? Blood donations to the vet I mean? Apparently dogs have twice as many blood types as we do and greyhounds are usually of the blood type that's universal donor for dogs.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I donate. Not as often as I should, but as often as I can remember to do it.

Went for bone marrow donation trials too, but was rejected as not quite having enough of my own to be able to spare some.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Yes I donate blood, but I haven't been doing it regularly I must confess. I've been maybe 4 times in the last 5 years. I really should book another appointment.

I'm AB+ :D - only 3% of the population in the UK

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE