Are there any proper army surplus stores left in the UK ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

appletree_man

Plenty of outdoor stores stocking expensive new kit, but the old style army surplus stores seem to be getting thin on the ground.
I only know of one in my home city (Glasgow), the rest are a bit too trendy for me.

If you know of any in Glasgow, or online (mail order), please post the details.
Cheers.

A

Alfa

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
there is a really good one in Lanark mate,the one you are talking about in Glasgow ,is it clearwater.i think the Lanark shop is probably better

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have used these guys once or twice - their "yard" is HUGE, and they are not the cheapest, but they do seem to carry most things in stock!

Last time I was in they mentioned that Tony was in contact with them Re advertising, so mention BcUK and see if we can raise our profile and get a regular discount set up!

http://www.feltons-surplus.com/

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
There Adventure1, up the steps from the Dundas St entrance of Queen St station, behind the Buchanan Centre: http://www.adventure1.co.uk

I use Clearwater from time to time, West End side of Argyle St, west a bit from PC World and on the North side of the road. http://www.cafs.co.uk/

I know what you mean though, even just 5 - 10 years ago there were tons of good ones. The problem (in Glasgow especially) is that the Army/Navy stores had cornered the market, the company they were owned by (Florence Clothiers) became Sports Connection and refocused from Army Surplus to Sportswear. They then went bust and it all just disappeared.

LAS looks good too and I think members here might get a discount.

(As usual, no connection to anyone mentioned and currently trading ;) )

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The Shop in Lanark is really good, The only other decent shop is in Edinburgh (LAS- Leith Army Stores).

Leith Army Stores is pretty poor these days - it's mostly brand new "military style" stuff, with almost no real surplus at all. They're OK for trousers, but that's about it - and even then, they don't seem to be as good as they used to be. They do have the DD hammocks though...

Another big shout here for Endicott's. They're great!

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Yeh!
Essex Surplus based in Chelmsford, Bishop-Stortford and Luton. Great staff and owner, cheap and mail order! Very bushcraft and fishing friendly too!
http://www.essexsurplus.com

All the usual disclaimers!!!!!!!!!!!!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Genuine army surplus (Darlington) are superb, the boss is down to earth friendly, sells good stuff and knows what he's talking about.
Gilling's at Diss are more for military hardware than clothings, even obscure weird stuff from nuclear era ship's etc, chef equipment, fitters tools for tanks and ship's, eg crates full of files, raw hide mallet's, good forged shovel's, spanners, chisles, vices pick axe's etc empty missile cases, all sort's, haggle a bit for a good price.

I use Clearwater from time to time, West End side of Argyle St, west a bit from PC World and on the North side of the road. http://www.cafs.co.uk/

)

Yeagh they have some real surplus there but I think they may have changed hands...did you ever go there when the Gimp worked there and was ordered about by the voice shouted up from the trapdoor in the floor behind the till? Man my buddies would go in just to look to see if it was true hahahaa weird man!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Yeagh they have some real surplus there but I think they may have changed hands...did you ever go there when the Gimp worked there and was ordered about by the voice shouted up from the trapdoor in the floor behind the till? Man my buddies would go in just to look to see if it was true hahahaa weird man!

Last time I was there, they kept shouting down the trapdoor and 5 minutes later boxes would appear through the hole :D

A

appletree_man

That's more like it, cheers all.
Does anyone have an address for the Lanark store ? I don't know that area too well.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i use " the bunker" in leyland near preston. been going about 15years .PM if you would like the address and phone number. its run by an ex QM , got about everything i have ever needed when i ask, always good for a chat when you go in, i niped in last week ended up staying two hours talking about anything,,,lol

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
That's more like it, cheers all.
Does anyone have an address for the Lanark store ? I don't know that area too well.
If you get the train into Lanark the surplus shop is across the street from the railway station between a small supermarket and a newsagent.
Very easy to find.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Another vote for Endicotts in Exeter, been around since the 1930's and have a huge range of kit. I have bought loads from them over the years. Service is always great (now I don't live locally they post it up to me - normally arrives the next day) fanbloomintastic!
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE