Warm and non-surplus parkas for UK use - for females

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My partner wants to get a warm coat like a parka. She keeps mentioning Didrikson. She has a cheaper make one and it's cold even now. Anyone know a good parka for her or where to get one that's good value? Hopefully not ones that are £300+++. Also most definitely not surplus. She's so far from wearing green, army parkas.

Also, any men's ones worth getting? Not too expensive. I quite like the idea of them too.

A few years ago we tried on some Scandinavian brand ones at outdoor action in Blackburn. That was in spring and they were a good deal I think. They were several hundred pounds dropped to less than half price. I tried one on for me and it weighed a lot compared to modern outdoor insulated jackets. Surprised me just how heavy they were. Are most good parkas heavy??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If she's looking for a brand name, maybe she won't be happy with this, but
Mountain Warehouse has proved to be remarkably good, and very budget friendly.
I admit I bought expensive outdoor kit and used it, but to be honest, the cagoules I've bought from MW are better fitting, more comfortable, wear every bit as well, and cost an awful lot less.

I'd say go into a shop, but just now ? :dunno:
They do a good mail order service though, and they do returns too. Take every discount they offer :) it can cut the price in half.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
My partner wants to get a warm coat like a parka.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I admit I bought expensive outdoor kit and used it, but to be honest, the cagoules I've bought from MW are better fitting, more comfortable, wear every bit as well, and cost an awful lot less.

They do a good mail order service though, and they do returns too. Take every discount they offer :) it can cut the price in half.
I think the one she has came from their or an equivalent source and cost. It's not very warm. The body looks warm but it's actually thin and cold except in the hood.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria

I guess this is surplus style parka. It's like the meaning of smock in that there's more than one meaning. For me parka is a padded windproof/waterproof that's actually very warm for winter use. Those two look like a windproof jacket in use and suitability. It's like a smock is an over the head jacket or coat that has only a half it quarter zip not the army style smock which I would call a heavy duty windproof jacket. I'm looking for something warmer when looking at a parka

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the one she has came from their or an equivalent source and cost. It's not very warm. The body looks warm but it's actually thin and cold except in the hood.

Ah, I know the one I bought from M&S wasn't warm. That said one of my neighbours has the blue one from Mountain Warehouse and she says it is warm. It was bought to wear for the walk home from the swimming pool early every morning, and she claimed that it was really cosy.

I think with jackets now you really do have to try them on.

M

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
@Paul_B OK. For me a jacket is just a thin, unpadded shell against wind and rain. Insulation comes from layers under.
PS. My girlfriend has a yellow Särmä womens parka.

Reactions: Billy-o

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's a dog walking, about town and less remote walk jacket that you can throw over the clothes you wear in an insulated and centrally heated house. Insulation and wind proof with the ability to cope with a degree of rain or slushy stuff or snow if needed.

Parka for me is the warm, insulated, outer layer. However I understand it's like most other common names for outer wear, it's open to different meanings to different people. Anyone with military background or history of buying surplus often have a different naming system to civilians or those who've never looked at surplus.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Paul_B OK. For me a jacket is just a thin, unpadded shell against wind and rain. Insulation comes from layers under.
PS. My girlfriend has a yellow Särmä womens parka.

To us that's a cagoule.
A parka is a padded longer length jacket that's at least showerproof, but definitely wind proof and it usually has a fur trimmed hood.
They're fashionable again, which is why they're not all as warm as we might like.

M

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hard to compete with Didrikson, over 20 different versions of women's "parka".

Other ideas.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury

+ however many on this.

My wife has one of their parka’s rated down to minus 10 or something similar.

She feels the cold and really likes this coat, you can order online and return to a shop if it doesn’t fit.

I buy my daughters outdoor stuff as it is fairly decent quality and she is more concerned about the colour and having unicorns on it then she is the brand name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Got a gooutdoors wow deal here: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15904616/rab-women-s-deep-cover-parka-15904616
cant comment on the quality. I "Think" rab is still half decent. for that price I would expect it to be.

Ive got berghaus and really happy with it https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16048799/berghaus-women-s-talmine-long-jacket-16048799

Dare 2 B arent half bad, https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/160448...king-waterproof-insulated-ski-jacket-16044877

Decathlon do some nice bits, if you are not fussed about a brand. Maybe after the lockoff you will be able to visit the stores and try some on.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Also, any men's ones worth getting? Not too expensive. I quite like the idea of them too.
I have been looking out for the M90 Swedish Parka with fixed hood for ages. these look really good for the price if you dont mind green. seem a bit rare at the moment so probably have more luck in spring summer.

However, if you are not too fussed about the length I got a snugpak SJ9 and my word, its ultra mega warm. so much so I wish they would add some pit vents for cooling off a little. Sizing is generous. Im XL in most things and got a large. plenty of room, you wont need to layer unless you are going up everest or similar.

limited colours, quality is superb, great hood, and prices vary but with deals/code should be able to get one for around £100

I cant imagine how warm the SJ12. sasquatch and ebony are.

SJ9 colours attached, some are not so easy to get.

Attachments

• sj9.jpg
    sj9.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Just last week my eldest snagged himself a pretty good parka designed by Jil Sander for Uniqlo. Cost hardly anything and is pretty groovy looking. 650 fill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE