Arctic Circle, solo. (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I like – perhaps need – a wilderness fix every few months. In May I usually go paddling here in Scotland, before the midge season takes off. That was until I discovered that you can fly to Tampere in Finland for under a hundred quid return, and from there an overnight train (130 euros return) will take you to Rovaniemi in Lapland. Another 12 euros gets you a return bus ticket to the trailhead for the Arctic Circle Hiking Area.

The snow had only melted a week or two ago, and was still melting further north, so the rivers were in full spate. You could easily hear the river half a mile away.

DSCF1713.jpg

At the trailhead, and along the trails themselves, there are fine shelters with a fireplace.

DSCF1714.jpg

All the shelters are provided free by the Finnish Forestry Administration, Metsahallitus. Each shelter has woodshed full of seasoned birch and pine that is free to use, although you are encouraged to use it sparingly. They even provide an axe.

I wondered what kind of axe would be provided. Perhaps a limited edition Damascus model, handcrafted by their master smith Lennart Petersson? Well, no. It was this:

DSCF1792.jpg

It looks like a prop from Lord of the Rings but actually comes from Sweden, not Mordor. Despite the industrial steel handle it worked very well, and was glad not to have the weight of my own axe as I walked about fifty miles altogether, though some of that was in the cities.

The shelters varied but were mostly the timber lean-to laavu.

DSCF1788.jpg

Why pay 140 euros for a hotel room when you can have aview like this and a free night’s kip?

DSCF1797.jpg

There are bears in Finland, but this was the only one I saw.

DSCF1727.jpg

I had an alcohol stove but did most cooking over the fire with a 600ml titanium mug/pot.

DSCF1729.jpg

It was permanently light. The sun was below the horizon for only 3 hours a day, and it never got dark. In a week or two it won’t set at all.

DSCF1731.jpg

There were Cranberries around and I ate my fill.

DSCF1775.jpg

I did the usual courtesy for the next traveller, although there was no difficulty lighting the well-seasoned wood provided. That is one of the great things about Finland – everything works.

DSCF1773.jpg

The Metsahallitus staff had warned me that some trails would be underwater with the spring floods. I went to have a look, and they were quite correct:

DSCF1786.jpg

Apart from at the trailhead, I only met one person in three days. I guess it is busier in summer.

Shelter near the trailhead.

DSCF1722.jpg

The country was boreal forest – Scots pine, birch, various berries, ferns…and wildlife included mergansers, Siberian jay and reindeer. I saw sign of the latter, but not the beasts themselves. I didn’t see moose, wolf or lynx.

DSCF1778.jpg

At this time of year, I felt very much at home, as the country is remarkably similar to the boreal forest in Scotland, in places like Glen Affric and Rothiemurchus. I had the same feeling of relaxation and self-reliance as I would in Scottish boreal forest. The difference – and it is a big difference - is scale. In Scotland, you can walk to safety from almost anywhere in a day. In Lapland the forest goes on for miles and miles, even in this area, which was only half an hour from Rovaniemi. Further north, I was told it was possible to walk 200 miles without seeing anyone.

DSCF1738.jpg

Navigation is another difference. Much of the forest is dense, with visibility of maybe 50 metres. And, of course, it all looks much the same. The trails are clearly marked, but I did deliberately go off trail on a compass bearing, and was gratified to get back to where I started on a back bearing. In the UK, a compass is mainly needed when there is fog or mist in the mountains, or on featureless terrain like Dartmoor, and the rest of the time it’s a fashionable necklace. In Finland, you need it whenever you go off trail.

DSCF17351.jpg

The Finns are somewhat reserved, but I found them exceptionally polite, helpful and friendly. On two occasions complete strangers gave me a lift, saving me a bus fare. The language is allegedly as difficult as Korean, according to the US State dept, but I had a go at it and the courtesy was appreciated. On the flight back, I counted every Finnish word I knew, and discovered I had learned nearly 200 words. The grammar is a bit of a nightmare though. Nevertheless, I start Finnish classes this Autumn.

Back in Rovaniemi, I checked out the Marttiini knife factory museum:

DSCF1704.jpg

And also the Arcticum museum, where I ran into our host Tony:

DSCF1709.jpg

Overall, thoroughly recommended. I’d like to thank Finnman and the guys on the Finnish Bushcraft Forum, and Susi and PKRL here for valuable info.

I plan a future trip to Seitseminen national park, perhaps next year, it’s only a short distance from Tampere. If anyone else is interested, let me know and I’ll contact you nearer the time. It could be doable for little more than £100 from Edinburgh airport.

Last edited:
Awesome trip there Doc! Great info and pics too. Very brave solo trip indeed! I'm curious...did you buy food or take it with you on the plane? And did you take a tent? And was it cold at night? I quite fancy a solo trip like this and tbh I think trails would give you the confidence until you'd built up the experience to go off them for any serious distance.

Well done on being so adventurous solo. I bet the solo experience during the day in such an awe inspiring place was mindblowing and the night even more so...Move over Lars here comes Doc!

Hope your back held up ok.
WS

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
fantastic trip great info I'd love to do a trip like that and take some of the kids from school they would get so much out of it

thanks for sharing

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Thanks Doc,
reminds me of the trail that leads out of Oslo, why is it the Scandinavians do this so well and we get it so wrong?
Finland is one of the places on my visit list...
jon

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for that. Woodsmoke asked some of the questions that i was thinking, And the Laird summed it up with inspirational. You say the snow had just melted, so when was you went ?.

Regards, Rob

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks guys.

I did take a tent, but didn't actually use it.

I brought noodles and dehydrated meals (I recommend the ones from Decathlon - about £4 each) but supplemmented this with salami and a pack of grillimakkara - Finnish sausage. You grill them over the embers, and very nice too.

You can fish there but I had difficultry tracking down the right permits, and the current was enormous, so I left it for next time. You can also get a permit for small game hunting in season. And of course the berries will be better later.

The trip was just last week.

It wasn't at all cold at night, but I was lucky - it can go below freezing in May. I took a Snugpack Elite jacket to supplement the down sleeping bag, but didn't actually need it.

My knife was the Grohmann boat knife that I've been using for years. Not quite as good as a Scandinavian grind knife for making feather sticks, but it is a very good all-rounder.

May 10, 2010
Bolton
Amazing trip there mate, EXACTLY what i would like to do but having got the goolies to organise it, i'd absoloutly love for you to get in touch with me should you plan another one as i will almost certianly make the time to come with you

how did you go about getting the info together to arrange it? are there any links you could refer me to?

so where did you sleep then? just in the shelters each night? and how heavy was your pack with all your equipment?

May 19, 2010
Bristol
Thanks for posting this Doc, what a great report and pics, and it sounds like you had a great time. It certainly puts those of us who only dream of doing such things to shame.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Great trip there Doc.

Finland is fantastic but watch out for the midges in Summer. I think they could possibly chew a Scots midgie up and spit it out. Ferocious things.:mosquitos:

Good to know you can get out there so cheap in this season. I think I might have to give that a go sometime.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Awesome - thanks for sharing. That has got me right in the mood as this morning thanks to the joys of modern technology i booked my flights across to northern sweden from a vessel off the coast of Nigeria lol. Off to Jokkmokk on the artic circle be the first time i hope its as nice as your picture of Finland.

What sort of temps were you getting throughout the day?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE