Arctic 2014 - Bardufoss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm a bit wary about turning up to an area mob-handed. I've read the Norwegian guidelines on their right to roam; large groups are permitted under the law of allemansrätten but I'm still a tad uncomfortable about testing the boundaries of these laws. Do we want to be the group that camps at the bottom of the garden of the politician who then raises the issue of foreigners' rights (if any) under the allemansrätten rules and regs? In fairness, it will probably be the climbers in the Rjuken or Romsdal areas that cock things up for us.:eek:
The rules regarding the collecting of firewood in Finland are a bit restrictive and this could be a major factor when planning a trip.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
cool imagedude its good to be wary.Is that Rjuken in norway ? if so the locals like the climbers they bring in money.Are you up for a trip :) ... about six of us.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
cool imagedude its good to be wary.Is that Rjuken in norway ? if so the locals like the climbers they bring in money.Are you up for a trip :) ... about six of us.

If I survive my trip to Finland next week I may well be up for it. Do any of the Scandinavian countries have anything similar to our Bushmoot?

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I am quite new to the forum. But Bardufoss is where my fathers family is from, and I did my national service in the army there. if I can be of any help, just let me know.
It's about 1,5 hours drive from where I live now, in Harstad.

May I suggest the nearby Dividalen national park as an alternative to the airport area?
It's easy to get up there. And there are public shelters you can use if manure goes flying in the general direction of rotating cooling devices....

But I know little of what you want to do so easier that you ask me questions. i can also do some research for you as I will be able to look up info that is in Norwegian for you :)

Oh....and I have no commercial interest at all. Just curious to find that place mentioned on a UK discussion board :)

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
have a good time in finland.And no i do not think they have a bushmoot but i bet we can have one when you survive finland :) ... stay safe.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
My fathers side of the family is from that area (Bardufoss). I also went to school there for a year and served my army national service year there, and finally live a couple of hours drive from Bardufoss now, so if I can be of any help to anyone going there, please let me know.

I would not camp near the airport due to all the military activity. Better to go up into nearby Dividalen national park wich should be acessible by public transport. Or to Altevann. Altevann is a lake, almost like a landlocked fresh water fjord that runs for 50 kilometers towards the border to Sweden. And the area is spectatcular true wilderness summer and winter.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
My fathers side of the family is from that area (Bardufoss). I also went to school there for a year and served my army national service year there, and finally live a couple of hours drive from Bardufoss now, so if I can be of any help to anyone going there, please let me know.

I would not camp near the airport due to all the military activity. Better to go up into nearby Dividalen national park wich should be acessible by public transport. Or to Altevann. Altevann is a lake, almost like a landlocked fresh water fjord that runs for 50 kilometers towards the border to Sweden. And the area is spectatcular true wilderness summer and winter.
Thank you Bumbler your knowledge will most be appreciated indeed especially if we go Altevann lake.I dont like the soUnd of camping near Any military training grounds at all but the sound of altevann no thats well worth investagating. I have only been to your amazing country once and that was on a ice climbing trip.I found it fustrating not having any time to camp out.The landscape is very stuning in Norway and it would be good to sit for a while and take it in.If we go would you be up for it Bumbler it would be good bushcrafting with our Norweigen cousions.:) ...

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
As it is jsut a couple of hours drive....1,5 hours to Altevann, it would not surprise me if I took the trip up there to visit, and may even put up a tarp and hang a hammock for a day or two if at all possible. Got an uncle and some cousins living in the area...well.
The Norwegian Trekking Association has cabins, both staffed and unstaffed in the area that could be used as a base camp or emergency shelter if the weather turns nasty. While the altitude ain't that great, it must be treated like high mounatin area, and the weather can turn dealy in minutes, so will need to plan and prepare for that.

Here is a link:
http://translate.google.com/transla...F-8&eotf=1&u=http://ut.no/hytte/altevasshytta

Last edited:

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
It's very good actually. The lakes are all full of trout and arctic charr. River Målselv runs trough which is a good salmon river. And in the sea on the coast people are hauling in halibut to 400 lb and cod to 60lb...

This is the butter in the porridge of Northern Norway. Words can't really decribe it. This video gives a view of the Altevann area.

[video=youtube;AbcSts08ZHw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbcSts08ZHw[/video]

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
As it is jsut a couple of hours drive....1,5 hours to Altevann, it would not surprise me if I took the trip up there to visit, and may even put up a tarp and hang a hammock for a day or two if at all possible. Got an uncle and some cousins living in the area...well.
The Norwegian Trekking Association has cabins, both staffed and unstaffed in the area that could be used as a base camp or emergency shelter if the weather turns nasty. While the altitude ain't that great, it must be treated like high mounatin area, and the weather can turn dealy in minutes, so will need to plan and prepare for that.

Here is a link:
http://translate.google.com/transla...F-8&eotf=1&u=http://ut.no/hytte/altevasshytta
Thank you bumbler vary helpfull indeed :) ...

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
Altevann looks very interesting and not to far to travel from the airport which is a bonus , i dont want to spend/waste more than a day travelling as will only have a week , thanks for the info bumbler we may well be bombarding you with questions soon and it would be great if you could join us if were near to you , its along way off yet so could all change,

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Altevann looks very interesting and not to far to travel from the airport which is a bonus , i dont want to spend/waste more than a day travelling as will only have a week , thanks for the info bumbler we may well be bombarding you with questions soon and it would be great if you could join us if were near to you , its along way off yet so could all change,

I could always join you for a weekend. All it takes is petrol money, and having enough brownie points with SWMBO :)

Else just ask as much as you please. If I do not have an answer I will tell you, and then try to find out. Knowing the language I have access to a lot more of that than you online. And with google translate you can read what I find for yourselves, even if Google sometimes have some funny grammar and makes a few mistakes here and there.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I could always join you for a weekend. All it takes is petrol money, and having enough brownie points with SWMBO :)

Else just ask as much as you please. If I do not have an answer I will tell you, and then try to find out. Knowing the language I have access to a lot more of that than you online. And with google translate you can read what I find for yourselves, even if Google sometimes have some funny grammar and makes a few mistakes here and there.
This is looking very tempting and local knowledge is always a bonus when finding out about local rules and regs. Like Imagedude said, we want to be able to enjoy your great country and at the same time make sure we don't upset anyone by our actions. Your help in the future will be very valuable bumbler, thanks for the heads up

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I did not mean for you to pay my petrol money. I meant to say is all it will cost me is some petrol money :)

I will probably gain from the experience as well. And meeting new people and perhaps gain a friend or two is always a bonus :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE