Arctic 2014 - Bardufoss

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
This might be slightly pre-emptive, but I figured getting a thread up to spread ideas around would be better done earlier rather than later.

From what I gathered at the Middlewood meet just gone (Feburary), the plan is to head to Bardufoss, the site of the infamous Firey Pants of Shame. Without the Jokkmokk Market, the idea of jumping off the plane straight into wilderness seems appealing to many of those wanting to go.

It is still a year off, giving plenty of time to gather equipment, and precious skills.

I might be ever so slightly buzzing with anticipation! :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A large part of the area immediately round the air port is military training grounds and presumably subject to restrictions.

Military-Sign.jpg

Plan to get yourselves a good distance from the airport.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
A large part of the area immediately round the air port is military training grounds and presumably subject to restrictions.

Military-Sign.jpg

Plan to get yourselves a good distance from the airport.

What are your thoughts on being able to make this Wayland? Fantastic pictures from Sweden by the way.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
For me its a little to soon to plan the trip but i think we all can start planing what gear is needed and what skills are required ready for it when we all decide wear we are going for sure.:) ...

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
Tis still along way off yet it but will come round quick enough, i have so many other projects on at the moment my head cant take any more, but i have left jan/feb clear in my diary for next year and have started to pick up bits of kit already got a pair of american army mukluks yesterday in a charity shop for £3.99 bargain they are a bit big for me but should be ok once i get some felt liners for them . It will be my first trip overseas for many years and will need a passport which ill get in the next month or so as i beleive they have been reduced in price and are bound to go up again.

udamiano

On a new journey
Can I recommend that the first thing you do is get yourself some descent scale maps (1:50000/1:25000)
Identify where you can or can't go and the topographical information.

Identify military land boundaries and make sure you know exactly were they are and the grid reference they are using, so as to not accidentally find yourself in serious trouble.
Next identify key structures and services, such as farm houses, fuel resources, hospitals, police, major roads, and routes, etc, calculate best routes and bug out point in relation to the area you are staying.

Next have some sort of back up plan for very bad weather. We had cabins in Sweden. Try and see if there is a local tourist office and contact them direct and see if you can set up any local contacts.

Next think about an emergency, for instance someone has a fall and breaks a leg. How are you going to notify appropriate resources, evac,etc. and does any insurance cover what you are planning (the old E111 card doesn't actually give you alot, so don't rely on it to cover any medical issues).

Identify distances and routes from the airport/bus station, etc to your base location and suitable time allocation.

Alway get confirmations in writing and names of everone you speak to, and further confirmations just before you depart the UK. let them know when your arriving and who to ask for. And Wayland wrote in his Norway write-up about having a booking only to find that this had be forgotten..

Log average temperatures for the time your going,, So whats is the temp and humidity for Bardufoss over the last 3 weeks ? Humidity is important as it will tell you the type of snow conditions your likely to have, the lower the more powdery and dry the snow will be.

Then start looking at kit........ and thats a whole new chapter ;-)

Last edited:

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
I agree with damian. Maybe it will be a good idea to discuss wear we can go,im up for sweeden, norway, finland but would prefer it if we could get to a destination as cheaply and quickly as possable only to save time traveling which will give us more time in the forest. When we all agree on a destination then we can put what damian recommonends into practice.:) ...

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Jokkmokk I am in love with the place if there was a quicker way than the way dave and i took and others wanted to go then i would go again it would be hard to find a place as beautifull and i know there are some bushcrafters who would love to go. I know what to expect now and what to take i can save a lot of money by taking more food and cutting transport cost we know the area and know some locals. I would love to go to canada but i am saving that for the future when i have more time and money. What are every ones foughts on a trip to jokkmokk would it be a posability or do you want a change or are you planing a trip for next year any way just testing the water thats all :) ...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
TBH, Jokkmokk wouldn't be my first choice. Lots of destinations easier to get to. Kiruna is a better option with much better scenery and transport links. You can haul straight out of the airport and many trains run through the day with great links to all the national parks.

Abisko and lake Tornetrask were stunning and the best place to see the Aurora from. The climate there is much drier and more dependable with more trustworthy ice.

Having seen lots of Scandinavia over the years Id suggest as start points;

Kiruna, Rovaniemi.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE