Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Tom, I have a query regarding the baggage allowance on the Oslo to BDU flights.

I, like you, am planning on flying the first leg from LHR to OSLO on BA whose baggage allowance for hold baggage is 23kg (one bag) when i then transfer onto the Oslo to BDU flight i will still only have one bag at 23kg so how will i take advantage of the two 20kg bags rules on the Norwegian air flight?

I may be missing something here but the Norwegion air rules implies two bags each with a maximum of 20kg, therefore in theory i need to limit my checkin bag with BA to 20kg also, otherwise i'll be over at the Norweigian air desk.

It seems to me that unless we pay for extra baggage allowance with BA then all we can take is the 23kg plus hand baggage. The 23kg will in theory be overweight for the BDU flight.

I guess what i'm asking really is the practicality of having a 40kg hold baggage allowance for only one leg of the journey (to/from BDU). Or am i missing something?:confused:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Totally understand your question...

If folks are packing everything into one 20kg bag then great....and the Norwegian checked allowance may seem excess to requirements....
The Norwegian group quote just happens to include a 2 x 20kg checked bag allowance.......the group quote does not come without it......

It could be useful, if like me you are going to carry quite a bit of hand luggage on-board then transfer some of it to checked for the Norwegian flight.....

In reality it is more cost effective for everyone to book their own flights direct with Norwegian....
I was surprised folks still had interest in the group booking...I suspect folks are interested as only a 20% deposit is required up front...

I do not mind either way......;)

With the above in mind I am very interested to know what to expect for the transfer from BDU airport to our final destination, I have a very large kit bag that will take packed rucksack plus all required gear.....however it is not clear yet if we need to carry our kit or if it will be hauled for us?

If gear is hauled I'll be packing everything into a large kit bag....if not I will take a different strategy....
Hoping this becomes clear at the briefing.

Tom

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Deposit paid :D

Just got some softie thermals and wool baselayers. Toastie!!!

Oh Tom you were right about my boots, tried to put them on with thin bl socks, then two pairs thermal, was like trying to squeeze my foot into a breeze block.

Anyone recommend some cheap cold weather boots?

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Do a search on evilbay for Mukluk Thermal Field Boots
Currently selling for £28.99 INCLUDING postage up to size 11.5 I believe....
Comes with liners (Would still get a larger size for layered thinner socks)

An alternative are these bad boys Fox Ice Boots at only 37.9 Euro plus shipping....rated to -40....:D

FYI - I am packing thin and medium long socks, not thick socks...recall...it is the layers that trap the heat, not a single thick layer.

As with any advice the decision is your, however Mukluks are very good for the money and supplemented with layered socks should see your toes toasty....
I have elected to use Sorel Ice Boots which are Mukluks on steroids...:rolleyes:

Tom

Jun 18, 2009
Herts
Hi Tom, what's the status with the group booking? I noted the quote runs out today and at last count there were 9 interested. If we're doing the group booking I'll get you the deposit I can do a bank transfer. If not I think I'll book this weekend otherwise I'll keep putting it off and it'll be 2 weeks before we go and i still wont have booked...!

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi Folks - Tis great to be back online :)

Just to let Arctic Exped folks know that the group Norwegian Oslo to Bardufoss group flight deal has expired.

Please ensure you book your flight directly.
Booked mine last weekend and the flight price is the cheapest I've seen it over the last few months.

Have a good weekend everyone.....
Next milestone - Pre briefing, can't wait :rolleyes:

Tom

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
For an appropriate jacket up to £50 I'd consider the following

Schott Extreme Parka is a good make.

Tried and trused option would be M65 Fishtail Parka or the N3B Parka in Olive or in black.

Both M65 and N3B (N-3B) are proven very cold weather outer clothing.
Also if the thought of the fishtail puts you off....they do provide an insulating layer when you sit down..... ;)

I am very lucky and got a North Face down Ice jacket at a good price...prior to getting it I looked at a lot of jackets and the N3B was the front runner for the money.

Hope this helps
Tom

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
just checking to see whos planning on travelling to Hereford for the briefing on November 28th. As i life in Scotland, i dont really fancy travelling all the way down if im the only one attending. Do you think it would be better just getting the info through the post..

Col.....

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
just checking to see whos planning on travelling to Hereford for the briefing on November 28th. As i life in Scotland, i dont really fancy travelling all the way down if im the only one attending. Do you think it would be better just getting the info through the post..

Col.....

I'll be attending, not as long a journey as yours Col but it is still a 300 mile round trip from my location.
Anyway you are closer to Norway....:lmao:

(I've cut short a business trip to the US to make sure I can attend....... :) )
There will always be another business trip.....:rolleyes:

I'm based in Bordon North Hampshire just off the A3 between Guildford and Portsmouth), anyone wanting to join me on the foray is welcome.

Depending on the time of the briefing I may travel down overnight and kip in the car.......

See you there
Tom

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I'm planning on attending the briefing as long as i don't have to work that weekend which itself depends on the amount of progress we make in the week ( i'm involved with three weeks of vehicle trials in Dorset) I think i should be OK though.

peve3

Sep 21, 2009
Basingstoke
I'll be attending the briefing, would be great if I could meet up with someone and share travel costs would be coming from the Farnborough area.

Edit :
Leonidas just noticed Bordon is pretty close to me, you wanna share the travel ?

Last edited:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I'll be attending the briefing, would be great if I could meet up with someone and share travel costs would be coming from the Farnborough area.

Edit :
Leonidas just noticed Bordon is pretty close to me, you wanna share the travel ?

No probs.....I was hoping folks would like to join in with the trip, you are literally 20 > 25 minutes :drive: away.

Tom

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
I thought I might Make a weekend of it and go and stay at the bushcraft campsite on the Wye. As I've got to travel some distance - Didn't know if any of you wanted to join me, good chance to meet etc.. Need to get my lavu and stove out

Cheers Chris

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
On a slightly different matter..
Anyone traveling up to Heathrow early on the Sunday morning for the 7.20 flight
from the West country? I can't find a way of getting up there that early and so may have to go up as late as I can on Sat evening and kip in the airport!!
Cheers.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE