Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Lidl are doing a special on snow goggles....gloves and thermal baselayers etc

I would not touch the gloves for the exped but have bought the goggles at £6.99, they are as good as more expensive pairs (UV etc)....and if they get damaged......at that price...ah well.
Also I would not use the baselayers for the exped as they are cotton.....
However I have got some for UK general use, at £3.99......no brainer.

Link here

Tom

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
All flights booked, hotel in Oslo for the Saturday night, looking forward to the briefing......now i need to get some kit......beg, steal or borrow:)

GearGuru has bagsies on one of my Arctic sleeping bags....but I have another which is a Dutch 58 pattern, if we can work out logistics it is there to be borrowed.....(might consider reasonable offers)

Anyway - CDC made some valid comments re older down bags (See this thread)

However this one is dry and the down is in excellent condition, it has hardly been used, one chap I lent it too did put a very small cigarette hole in it the outer layer lower top (Git) but other than than it is in great condition, the integrated waterproof base is also in good condition and it will keep anyone toasty.

In any case the offer is there :)

Tom

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Tom,don't suppose you could pick me up a pair of googles if you are passing Lidl!
None near my neck of the woods!!
No worries either way tho mate.
My best.
Chris.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
You are a very nice man! (and so is your wife,but without the 'man' bit!!)
Thanks a lot Tom!
(I see you bought that Helle Leuko! You must let me know what you think,I love Helle knives,interested to see if you think the handle is a bit short!)
My best.
Chris.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
If anyone is interested I'll be bringing back a load of (approx 100) fire-steels in a variety of sizes.
Will post more info when I get back...

I have also ordered dozens of self heating hand and toe warmers.....fits in your gloves or boots....for the exped, again if there is any interest let me know.

Cheers
Tom

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Interested in your forged Leuko style knife Tom! ( very keen on the 'just out of the forge' finish, Like Dave Budds knives.)
Please keep me up to date!!
My best.
Chris.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi

I cant make it to the briefing so can someone ask a couple of questions for me please and let me know the replies?

Do I need to take a snow shovel or is one provided?

Will we be using Skis? (impacts the footwear I take)

Can I take a large holdall and a big day sack instead of a rucksack? (I find it easier to manage my stuff in a holdall)

Thanks

Barry

Last edited:

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
You're welcome to bring a snow shovel although they will be provided as needed and i'm fairly sure there's no Skis, but we can check :D

Tony, thanks for the response. I have added another question about holdalls/rucksacks. I'd prefer to take a 90 litre holdall if there isn't lots of trekking with all my gear required.

Assuming we'll be using the tents as a base and then off for trips out during the day or overnight I can just take what I need out in my 45 litre day sack.

Cheers

Barry

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'll get back to you on that one although I think it will be ok as there won't be any need to carry big things very far, they'll be moved for you if we're moving about other than day trips etc.

I'll check.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
I'll get back to you on that one although I think it will be ok as there won't be any need to carry big things very far, they'll be moved for you if we're moving about other than day trips etc.

I'll check.

Thanks Tony. Shame I am missing out on the pre trip brief but I have family stuff on that I need to be around for.

Regards

Barry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE