App to sort out photos?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
After having a few digital cameras since 2000, my wife and I have amassed a lot of photographs over 28GB's worth. Now I think quite a few of these are duplicates as my wife likes to copy the photos to different folders and rename them.

So what I am asking is does anyone know of an app running on Windows (could use linux at a push) that can compare images and show duplicates so I can try and thin out what we have.

Any one got any ideas?

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Picasa is good for this kind of task and generally sorting and organising pictures into albums etc. Best part: it's free!

Regarding duplicates: Have a look here: http://picasatutorials.com/2010/01/picasa-tip-finding-duplicate-pictures/

Hope this helps.

If you want a really good tool to post process your pictures there is no way around Adobe lightroom and possibly Topaz Adjust. Those cost good money though. I have both and they are worth their price!

ATB

Mike

Hoggy

Jan 30, 2010
uk
Thanks for the tip on Picasa never thought to see if it did that. Now just have to go through deleting all the duplicates :(

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Why thin them out, copy them to DVDs and keep them all as backups DVD are really cheap. Copy them as is, and then if one DVD stops working, you know you have copies of the images elsewhere. (50DVD for under a tenner) you only have to do that a couple of times a year to know you will never lose a picture again (or get a external drive 500mb or 1000mb are really cheap)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Why thin them out, copy them to DVDs and keep them all as backups DVD are really cheap. Copy them as is, and then if one DVD stops working, you know you have copies of the images elsewhere. (50DVD for under a tenner) you only have to do that a couple of times a year to know you will never lose a picture again (or get a external drive 500mb or 1000mb are really cheap)

A bit of advise here: DVDs or CDs degrade over time. I have a few old ones from the 90s that I cannot access any more.

And another one: the thing is to keep the external drives (or the cable, which apparently are fun to pull at! :-S) out of reach from children (or pets I guess). Been there, lost that :(

Online storage like flickr is what I do. Takes a long time to upload original sizes but I do it at nights.

ATB

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE