Apex Hunter-WARNING! Not for the squeamish.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Some cracking footage there,didnt realise they were able to fly carrying that sort of weight,atleast the goats had a little bit of a fight back(well a try anyway).

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Incredible footage the camera man who captured this struck gold ,and just to see this in real time must have been amazing ,,,could hardly believe my eyes that this bird could carry that much weight on the wing

Thanks for the link

Jason

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Golden Eagles take wolves in the wild, Its a popular sport in mongolia, hunting wolves with eagles. They normally work them in pairs though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yes Bill, I've seen those videos too. But I don't remember them flying away with the wolves? Until I saw this video last night I didn't realize they could fly with that weight either.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
They don't fly off with them when being used to hunt with, probably trained that way.

Whether they could carry a wolf...... who knows. I wouldn't put it past them. :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Golden Eagles take wolves in the wild,

No they don't. The eagles you're refering too are trained to attack wolves & foxes for their pelts notably in Kazakhstan...
The wolves that live in these regions are nothing like those in America or Canada.....they are pretty small at around 20 kilos & less than 60 cm at the shoulder.....if an eagle was to attack a grey wolf, then the wolf would be passing eagle feathers for the next few days....:D

Also during village fetes,these "eagle hunters" take pleasure in releasing several eagles on a young captive wolf, which the locals seem to enjoy too, if the wolf survives it will be used in the next bout, if not, another will be brought out...." The show must go on "
Better than TV I suppose...;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't know where you guys get the idea that the eagle is 'flying off' with the critters, seems to me he grabs them, then starts to loose height, I doubt the eagles could actually fly off with the prey, they simply glide in a down ward direction :D

Any way birds of prey can't carry & fly normally with more than their own body weight....

I've seen the scene before & quite a few images of trained eagles were edited in too, you can see them flying in towards the falconer's arm......but it's always fascinating watching predators do their thing..:cool:

Last edited:

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Gota respect Nature at its best unlike them seagulls by the beach and my chips I'd show nature some lead but don't think the kids would understand .LOL

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't know where you guys get the idea that the eagle is 'flying off' with the critters, seems to me he grabs them, then starts to loose height, I doubt the eagles could actually fly off with the prey, they simply glide in a down ward direction :D

Any way birds of prey can't carry & fly normally with more than their own body weight....

I've seen the scene before & quite a few images of trained eagles were edited in too, you can see them flying in towards the falconer's arm......but it's always fascinating watching predators do their thing..:cool:

Take a look between 5:40 minutes & 5:50 minutes. You'll see him fly up to his airie with the kid. I don't believe a trained bird would do that (or even have an airie)

Last edited:

Dreadhead

i grieve for my goat brethren. pretty amazing stuff though and i would say brave goats charging at the eagle but its most likely blind stupidity daft things. iv seen the videos about the mongolians hunting wolves with eagles found that fascinating!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Take a look between 7 minutes and 7.19. You'll see him fly up to his airie with the kid. I don't believe a trained bird would do that (or even have an airie)

Well I've watched the 7:00 to 7:19 as you suggested 3 times & all I saw was an eagle comming down to land on something & then it cut to a different eagle (trained ?) in close up...
I did n't say all the eages shown were trained, just that some images of trained birds were edited in particually when you see them comming towards the camera & close ups..:).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well I've watched the 7:00 to 7:19 as you suggested 3 times & all I saw was an eagle comming down to land on something & then it cut to a different eagle (trained ?) in close up...
I did n't say all the eages shown were trained, just that some images of trained birds were edited in particually when you see them comming towards the camera & close ups..:).

Sorry, my bad. I read the counter wrong. Look between 5:40 & 5:50. I'll edit the other post to correct that.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No they don't. The eagles you're refering too are trained to attack wolves & foxes for their pelts notably in Kazakhstan...
The wolves that live in these regions are nothing like those in America or Canada.....they are pretty small at around 20 kilos & less than 60 cm at the shoulder.....if an eagle was to attack a grey wolf, then the wolf would be passing eagle feathers for the next few days....:D...

How about this one then? www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWaosOaURfU Poorer quality on the video but I don't think it leaves any doubt about the eagle's courage and ability.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
i grieve for my goat brethren. pretty amazing stuff though and i would say brave goats charging at the eagle but its most likely blind stupidity daft things. iv seen the videos about the mongolians hunting wolves with eagles found that fascinating!

If the goats can harass the eagle enough, they can tire it, or get it to leave the area, making them safer, just like songbirds mobbing a buzzard.

Besides, if a charging goat ever takes an eagle unawares, there is only one winner - the goat. They weigh far more than the eagle, and a well aimed headbutt or stamp could do potentially fatal damage to an eagle.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Sorry, my bad. I read the counter wrong. Look between 5:40 & 5:50. I'll edit the other post to correct that.

Hmmmm.......could be my eyesight,but that baby goat ( if that what it is ) doesn't look much bigger than the eagle it's self.....far from the adult goats we see the eagles knocking off the cliff at the begining of the vid....:)

Dreadhead

If the goats can harass the eagle enough, they can tire it, or get it to leave the area, making them safer, just like songbirds mobbing a buzzard.

Besides, if a charging goat ever takes an eagle unawares, there is only one winner - the goat. They weigh far more than the eagle, and a well aimed headbutt or stamp could do potentially fatal damage to an eagle.

yeah i guess your right there to be fair. i think its after seeing eagles killing wolves it said they can crush a skull with their talons and thats against a wolf with vicious teeth. so i thought a goat wouldnt have much of a chance but yeah your right about dashing them with hooves

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE